Thread: Maintenance is key, just took my xi on its longest road trip.

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord

Maintenance is key, just took my xi on its longest road trip.

I just thought id share this with all who worry about high miles and long trips. A family matter required me and a friend to go on a trip from upstate NY to Fort Myers Florida at the drop of a dime. Total round trip of 3,200 miles which brought my car an 2002 325xi up to 154,500 miles. I drove straight through to get there and was there for the week and then drove straight through on the way back. Car was a champ and never skipped a beat. A/C was ice cold too and I don't think the window down feature was ever used as much ever as it was that week. I did all the prevenative maintenance items and then some so I was a little nervous at first I'm not gonna lie but over all was very trust worthy with the car. Thanks all for reading.
    Last edited by WHITEXi; 06-06-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by softwarehawk View Post
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer View Post
    The poors might get him...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    OKay....first or all...I am pissed that you drove by here and didn't stop to say hi and have a beer.

Second of all...pics..or trip didn't happen.

Third of all....I hope all is well with your family in Florida.

Maintenance IS key. Very good point. Feels good when you're prepared like that.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    I knew that was gonna happen lol. Dane I know I know, if I didn't have so much going on I would have wanted to meet up but I really couldn't at the moment. I got a couple pics of some things but nothing really. Idk it was a good time but not for the situation and reason I was there but it did bring a lot of the family closer.
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    What?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Ok...sounds good. Not pissed anymore...lol

Sorry that happened to you guyz...
    Last edited by danewilson77; 06-06-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    Thank you Dane. For now everything is ok, just my grandma is very sick. I got 28 mpg hwy also if anyone was wondering. I know you guys love to ask what everyone gets usually lol.
    Last edited by WHITEXi; 06-06-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    What?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    28...........very nice.

Hope Grandma gets better.

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    I know my friend was surprised it got that good mpg, also he was very into the little mpg gauge and obc functions lol.

As do we and thanks again.
    Last edited by WHITEXi; 06-06-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    What?

My Cars
    2005 e46 330xi
    Well I was trying to add a pic. I took a pic while doing 80 mph and still getting 28.5 mpg. and that was after 261.8 miles on the drive. Got to love BMW's

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    Yea I was on I95 and hwy 75 and I. Did between 70 and 80 and that was trying to stay with traffic.
    What?

My Cars
    M3|X5|M Roadster|Tundra
    Thats awesome! It always feels good when your car impresses you.

I had the same feeling last weekend, we put about 1200 miles on my dad's 90 735iL, not 3,200 but still a decent amount for an old car. The thing is a gem and maintenance is incredible on it. The car had absolutely no problems, and A/C was also on high the whole time
    Last edited by GR330ZHP; 06-07-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    2012 BMW M3 Coupe, 6MT (summer fun)|2017 Toyota Tundra 1794 MGM (DAILY)
    2015 BMW X5 35i, M Sport, AW/Mocha (Family hauler)
    2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster, Silver Grey Metallic/Black

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1992 535i
    My bimmer just completed her first long haul. NoVA- Keene valley Ny (adirondacks) almost 1200 miles round trip. besides the rear tires being bald as f*(k, she had no problems. did an oil change before I left and she got about 30 mpgs through the entire trip

My Cars
    '13 135is
    Good for you! Hope all is well with your grandma.

I took my last E46 to the OBX and back in the middle of the summer last year. It had 200,000 on the clock and was a complete champ, even for the 12-hour total non-stop trip home. I know, I know, OBX to NJ should not take 12 hours. Things happen, let's just leave it at that. Things like 95 North.

BTW - sold that E46 to my buddy's sister in law at 204,000 miles, and it's still going strong well over 210,000.

mb
    Last edited by mbcoops; 06-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Looking for a "drive to the track" car!

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    It does feel good when you have a strong good car. I remember I took my old E30 to CT and it was not running very good to begin with but it made it lol. It never left me stranded far it seemed to only get buggy around home.
    What?

My Cars
    '06 ZHPCi, '04 A4 Avant
    I just did a 500mi roadtrip this past weekend and averaged 28.4mpg as well, pretty good for an underpowered awd car!

My Cars
    E46M
    Good for you man. Taking care of your car is a great thing to do.
    I too love experiencing the ice cold AC within seconds of turning it on.

Definitely plan on driving BMWs for the rest of my life.

I hope everything works out well. And I hope your friend gained much knowledge on the MPG gauge..hahah I remember my first time looking at it...I was pretty shocked too. O_o