Thread: How to setup EasyDis v44(per randomy)with Ediabas/INPA interface +USB-Serial adapter?

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick

How to setup EasyDis v44(per randomy)with Ediabas/INPA interface +USB-Serial adapter?

A little about my setup first for those interested as I just picked up my interface 2 days ago and started instalilng these programs as of yesterday.
    Using Ediabas/INPA eBay interface such as the one below

2002 E46 M3 s54 manual coupe
    DualCore x64 bit 2ghz pentium laptop with 4gigs of ram on Vista 64-bit OS.
    Using London Drugs Usb-to-Serial Adapter (us-tbl180) (only modification made was com1 in addition to supplied 64bit driver)
    Installed EasyDIS v44 (as per Randomys instructions, except used "VMware Workstation 6 5 1 Build 126130 Fina" instead so the steps were a little bit different.

Installation was Successful of EasyDIS I think, I was an amateur and thought I could make DIS work without inpa/ediabas but with my ediabas/inpa interface. I tried connecting to the car right away without adjusting any values and thought by default everything was set and when I hooked up to my car I ran into the below error when trying to diagnosis.

Diagnosis bus error
    ------------------
    Communication between operating unit
    and diagnostic head is impaired
    fault number: 200.159

Checked Administration > Interface detection and noticed nothing was set. I then did some digging around in the forums again and noticed I need to install Ediabas / Inpa first to use Ediabas server as an interpreter between dis and the car.

Found DavidMC's 4shared website, used his passwords downloaded inpa v5.02 / ediabas v.6.4.7 found in the "Easy GT" folder and installed it (thanks a lot davidmc, but your included adobe reader files were a little bit outdated lol) though a few steps were missing or not in the same order it was a good enough reference point to guide me through a successfull installation I THINK! I did the path modification, selected obd interface, check marked the update/update/complete as well as the "use usb to serial adapter" but decided to install winkfp, ncs expert, inpa, ediabas. However 3/4 in through the steps when installing instprog from /Referenz/install folder it mentioned INPA was older and if I wanted to delete or rename it, I clicked rename (hoping this is normal). I skipped all the steps in the Install Notepad (supplied with inpa/ediabas) involving the "go to the dos window and install the ads driver..." and the following steps as well as they were talking about setting up ADS (I am using OBD not ADS, is this fine/correct that I skipped these steps?). Oh and lastly to add I did not bother with the autoexec.bat files or even look for it I thought the path value change noted in the other setup file was enough and I did correctly make that adjustment with the addition of ;c:\ediabas\bin as you noted in that setup file.

I booted up INPA (not connected to car yet) and the first thing that came up was a registry error clicked ok and noticed the program was glitching black every 5 seconds. I closed the program and booted it up again, and noticed the registry error did not come back.

I proceeded to boot up the other programs and notice some other errors though below

When booting WinKFP error below is

==============
    Registry Value failed in SubKey :
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Serial'

May be there are problems!
    ==============

Booting up NCS-Expert tool error below is

==============
    The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
    ==============

I went back into INPA and this time hooked up to the car and successfully Battery / Ignition both were Detected (two black dots lighted up).
    I then followed <F3> E46, and selected engine > S54 > Engine > and then as it was about to load my vehicle it came up with another error saying "versions do not match" (I cant quite remember how it was phrased, but it was saying something did not match between my car and inpa).

I clicked okay on the error and proceeded to give it a try anyways. I noticed bat/ignition were detected with two solid black dots, I could retrieve vehicle information, all the readings were working I even drove the car and had live data streaming working with 02 sensors, rpm, collant sensors, i really noticed all the screens were working in the readings section between all the functions, f2, f3, f5, f6, f7, etc etc.
    I read my error codes with no faults showing, cleared adaptations for the hell of it, all these worked. There were a few things that did not work but majority worked.

But my questions are why doesnt winkfp, or ncs-expert work?(I have not looked into how to do the api test either, but if it detects ign/bat I think it would have passed anyways) but most importantly what are the next steps involved to get EasyDIS to work now? The confusion is EasyDIS is slightly different from DIS in that supposidly some kind of emulation is not required (regarding fischer or something?) and therefore the settings in EasyDIS > administration > calibration > are going to be different then what's been posted on here for DIS users at least I thought I read David MC say this in one of the many threads out there I have read (like ~30 hours of reading)

I also wanted to ask, there was a cd / or dvd that came with the cables which had ediabas / inpa on it. I decided not to use it and use david mc's instead. David do you know if there is a difference between yours and the version that comes on the cd? I checked the versions on the cd and it was the same version as yours but the size of the files on the cd were a little bit bigger, and the folder designations / layout and executible files were all arranged and spelled differently. I can send you what came on my cd if your interested so maybe you can have a look at it and host it on your 4shared website if it is worth while to ?
    Last edited by parad0x; 06-06-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Bmw
    I didn't read everything, but this software is designed to run in a 32 bit environment.

I have made a separate partition for win xp, and have had zero problems.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    I'm running on Windows XP 32-bit on an old HP compaq nc6220 with 2gb of RAM (the max it will take). Something like a Dell D610, D600, D505, etc should be cheap and has similar specifications.

Another issue could be the USB-to-serial adapater... my laptop has a real serial port.

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatxx87 View Post
    I didn't read everything, but this software is designed to run in a 32 bit environment.

I have made a separate partition for win xp, and have had zero problems.
    I know it's not precise, but I would settle for just EasyDIS running just fine. Running EasyDis in vmware also looks fine, but I just dont have the steps to setup my interface for it and that's where i'm lost with that aspect of EasyDis. I am hoping somebody will share with me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    I'm running on Windows XP 32-bit on an old HP compaq nc6220 with 2gb of RAM (the max it will take). Something like a Dell D610, D600, D505, etc should be cheap and has similar specifications.

Another issue could be the USB-to-serial adapater... my laptop has a real serial port.
    I could pickup another laptop, but at least would like to give my current configuration a try and see how it goes. I have already got most of inpa working, it could be a matter of something simple to get inpa ncs expert to work on this laptop.

But if somebody could help me setup EasyDis to work with this eBay ediabas/inpa interface cable, maybe it might work flawlessly as it is running off of vmware just fine it appears other then the current communication with the interface error which is only due to the fact that it is not currently configured at all in any of the settings for it. I am hoping somebody could share with me these key points on what variables to change/add.

While attempting to read up on ncs/kfp and see if I could come up with a fix,
    If I could get EasyDis to work I will be happy as it is.

k, se93 had me look around at the 4shared link for more files so I ran into the "read this first" txt file. I ran into a snag I wanted to share with you guys how to work around this yourselves if anybody else does encounter the same problem.

When DIS appears, again choose the Administration button, then Calibrating touch screen. Enter the 12345 password and again choose Option 7. SCOADMIN NETWORK.

We need to view our EDIABAS.ini and hosts settings from the Unix side, to ensure we can talk to our Windows software and interface.

When the SCOADMIN NETWORK screen appears, left click in a blank section of the window and hit CTRL + SysRq to access the Unix root file (remember the black screen you encountered when the kernel was rebuilding?) at the login prompt, type root, then choose option 1 to choose a password...
    It says to hit ctrl + SysRq button at once, which I did but instead of bringing me to a prompt it pops a little screen asking if I want to press enter to quit, or press any other key to cancel. I was puzzled as I was sure I was clicking in an empty spot, and everywhere really to experiment. I figured out on my laptop I had to click Ctrl + Shift + SysRq (for those that dont know, SyRq is the same button as Print Screen on my keyboards so double check that too).

After figuring this out, the last part of the document (found below) had me wondering if it was a typo mistake or if I need to do some further modifications.

A few minor adjustments may need to be made, depending upon what diagnostic head you are using – for example I use an ADS interface, so I had to use the Utilities menu to change the translator to “FISTER” and ensure that vm was switched off as INPA had been set up to use ADS rather than an OBD interface.
    Just wondering, did David MC mean to say
    I use an OBDInterface
    to go along with the whole
    as INPA had been set up to use ADS rather than an OBD interface
    ??

If this is is a typo and I am correct on this, and David MC was saying he was using a OBD interface so am I correct in guessing I should as well change translator to fister and insure vm is turned off as well since I too am using in reality a OBD interface? Confirmation anyone? DavidMc maybe?

to be clear, while using this Ediabias/Inpa OBD interface, how do I set fister and vm in EasyDis ?
    Last edited by parad0x; 06-06-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Did you run the OBDsetup from the hardware\obd folder in EDIABAS?
    IF so, there are values missing from the reigstry, merge the following registry export, then run OBDsetup again:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serial]
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000000
    "Group"="Extended base"
    "Start"=dword:00000002
    "Tag"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000001
    "ForceFifoEnable"=dword:00000001
    "RxFIFO"=dword:00000008
    "PermitShare"=dword:00000000
    "LogFifo"=dword:00000000
    "TxFIFO"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serial\Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serial\Enum]
    "0"="Root\\LEGACY_SERIAL\\0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001
    "INITSTARTFAILED"=dword:00000001

My Cars
    2001 525i
    Is PCMCIA RS232 better than serial to USB adapter?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    No, it is not a misprint, I do use an ADS interface. The bottom line is that in order to establish communication with a diagnostic head in DIS, the Translator needs to be set to "FISTER" and protocols need to be configured so that "vm is set to not run".

As others have mentioned. INPA/EDIABAS is designed to run in a 32 bit environment. With INPA v3.01/EDIABAS V6.4.3 (as per the NCS folder of the 4shared website), you will actually have to manually configure the EDIABAS.ini file to achieve full 32 bit functionality as per the following (as the default value is LoadWin = 0):-

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; LoadWin32
    ; Description : Map EDIABAS Win16 calls to EDIABAS Win32
    ; Value : 0 = Win16/32 Mapping disabled (Win16-->Win16)
    ; 1 = Win16/32 Mapping enabled (Win16-->Win32)
    ; Default = 0 for Windows 9x/Me
    ; Default = 1 for Windows NT4/2000/XP
    ;LoadWin32 = 1

Setting up EasyDIS and the GT1 base program is the easy part - establishing a reliable working communication network between DIS and INPA/EDIABAS is the tricky part, mainly because everyone's computer is configured slightly differently (which is why I tend to try and explain what needs to be achieved by using examples rather than an individually tailored approach).

Files on the 4shared site are compressed and so may appear smaller than the extracted versions on a CD, but unlike the files on most Chinese CD's, they have been tested and verified as functioning properly.

A PCMCIA card is probably no better than a good USB to serial adapter, the problem is that lots of USB to serial adapters are not good enough for our purposes, so unless you know a specific USB adapter that definately works, an Oxford chip based PCMCIA card is not a bad way to go.
    Last edited by David Mc; 06-07-2010 at 05:39 AM.

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    IF so, there are values missing from the reigstry, merge the following registry export, then run OBDsetup again:

Code:

"Group"="Extended base"

Wow, how did I miss this step? Can I ask where is this step outlined for future reference, I am curious what else I might have missed. I did mention in my first post all the steps I did take, if there is anything else by the sounds of it feel free to correct me again Also just a reminder, this step is for the "INPAv5.02_EDIABAS v6.4.7" version found in the EasyGT folder correct? I decided to give that a try instead of going with the older inpa/dis version found in the NCS folder. I hope this wasnt' a poor choice on my part.

question for you though for my own wisdom, what does this change in ediabas file enable?

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    No, it is not a misprint, I do use an ADS interface. The bottom line is that in order to establish communication with a diagnostic head in DIS, the Translator needs to be set to "FISTER" and protocols need to be configured so that "vm is set to not run".

As others have mentioned. INPA/EDIABAS is designed to run in a 32 bit environment. With INPA v3.01/EDIABAS V6.4.3 (as per the NCS folder of the 4shared website), you will actually have to manually configure the EDIABAS.ini file to achieve full 32 bit functionality as per the following (as the default value is LoadWin = 0):-

; LoadWin32
    ; Description : Map EDIABAS Win16 calls to EDIABAS Win32
    ; Value : 0 = Win16/32 Mapping disabled (Win16-->Win16)
    ; 1 = Win16/32 Mapping enabled (Win16-->Win32)
    ; Default = 0 for Windows 9x/Me
    ; Default = 1 for Windows NT4/2000/XP
    ;LoadWin32 = 1

Setting up EasyDIS and the GT1 base program is the easy part - establishing a reliable working communication network between DIS and INPA/EDIABAS is the tricky part, mainly because everyone's computer is configured slightly differently (which is why I tend to try and explain what needs to be achieved by using examples rather than an individually tailored approach).

Files on the 4shared site are compressed and so may appear smaller than the extracted versions on a CD, but unlike the files on most Chinese CD's, they have been tested and verified as functioning properly.

A PCMCIA card is probably no better than a good USB to serial adapter, the problem is that lots of USB to serial adapters are not good enough for our purposes, so unless you know a specific USB adapter that definately works, an Oxford chip based PCMCIA card is not a bad way to go.
    Will these changes still be the correct ones to make taking into mind I actually used the newer version of inpa/ediabas "INPAv5.02_EDIABAS v6.4.7" found in your EasyGT folder, and not the version found in your NCS folder?

It is 3:00 am now, I will have a look at the values early tomorrow morning and assumming the format of the lines are the same I will incorporate both your changes as well as randomys. The updates to registry and your ediabas.ini shouldn't take me too long to do tomorrow morning. I will update my progress very soon.

having you both come in here feels like i'm being helped by the A-Team in bmw diagnostics thanks guys

-edit: just thought I would share I figured out why booting INPA was not working on the first attempt. Looks like when I execute INPA, ediabas server did not boot up in time causing a registry error at startup, but when I would go to close INPA and leave Ediabas server running in the background followed by re-booting INPA.ops again it seems to work then without the registry error and glitching effect. I dont know what explains this, but maybe the changes i make outlined by you guys tomorrow might potentially fix this too.
    Last edited by parad0x; 06-07-2010 at 06:41 AM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If you read the options for LoadWin32, they target EDIABAS installations on different Windows Operating Systems. The earlier (i.e. v6.4.3) version of EDIABAS would have been released around the time that many laptops were still running Windows 98/ME, so the default value was set to 0. XP however had already been released, so the software included provision to map the 16 bit to a 32 bit version, which was chosen as the default for the later release.

Although I now use INPA v5.02/EDIABAS v6.4.7, it does not have some of the functionality of the earlier version (e.g. no quick test option). When I loaded the later version, I preferred to load the early version first, then use the later version to simply update the files as updating of some files in a clean installation of the later version relied on the software being activated via BMW'S GIS (user pay) option.

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick

Code:

"Group"="Extended base"

-Besides editing the data on some values, I had to add the below values to "Serial" as they were missing
    Tag
    ForceFifoEnable
    RxFIFO
    PermitShare
    LogFifo

-Had to create the folder "Parameters" and left it blank (other then a default value) as per your instructions.

-Created folder Enum, and added below values
    Count
    NextInstance
    Initstartfailed

I'm a bit puzzled what to do with the below value
    I am not 100% confident, but I believe this should be a simple "string value", renamed to 0, with Root\\LEGACY_SERIAL\\0000 incorporated into the "value data". Is this correct? I thought maybe multi-string value/expandable string value, but doesnt have % symbols, and these keys are not supported in older win 95/98/etc based systems so leads me to believe it is a simple "string value". I created the value this way anyways, but a confirmation would be really greatful.

After making these changes, booting up OBDSetup.exe, shows me following warning below.
    Warning! Some values have no standard data - May be there are problems !

Looking at that list, there was one value which showed warning. The one typed out as below
    "Value Start =2 Expected=1 Warning

Every other line other then that one was "Ok" status. I varified the "start" value, and it is indeed a "REG_DWORD" with value of 2 in hexadecimal form. I dont know what's wrong?

Despite the Warning in one of the lines, it mentions "Press any key to continue ...." I press spacebar, but the dos window just closes. Is this fine or was it suppose to do more?

-Update: I changed the "start" value from 2 to 1, and now the OBDSetup runs and shows status as "Ok" for Value "Start". Should I leave it as 1 in that case, or change it back to 2 where a warning shows but is possibly correct? Randomy/David ? what do you guys think ?

========================
    David Mc]
    -Turned Fisher on, Turned VM off. Changes applied/restarted. as per your instructions
    -Update: I looked at your
    ;LoadWin32 = 1
    line you quoted, but realised I think you meant to say the line without the ; symbol, so that the line does get executed. Taking this into mind I made the correction and changed so the line looks like below
    LoadWin32 = 1
    (without the ; at the beginning) is this correct in what you meant to share?

===============================================
    another update
    -Booting up INPA.ipo for the first time no longer shows a registry error after changes which is good news.
    -One of the error messages still there. When clicking F3 (E46) > Engine > ms s54 for s54 m3, i get the following error message below still

Check Versions
    --------------
    Versions do not match. Malfunctions possible!

I am curious if this has something to do with the fact that my DME was flashed as of late last year 2009 with a new dme version and this version of inpa does not recognise the newer dme version?, if maybe this has something to do with this message? thoughts you guys?

-Despite this error, all f1-f10 functions work in Engine category to the best of my knowledge. Including the mtl test.
    -clicking on Body > Air conditioning IHKA, shows the same "versions do not match" error.
    -clicking on body > instrument cluster > F2 reset oil service, f3 reset time inspection, f4 reset distance inspection, all show following below error

ApiCheckJobStatus: Job-Status error: [ERROR_ECU_REJECTED] instead
    of [OKAY]!
    Continue script processing?
    yes/no

not sure what's wrong here, I was attempting to clear my service reminder but obviously I did not think I should click yes to continue script processing in fear something else could mess up. There has to be one setting at least that is wrong to do with this still.

-update: NCS-Expert tool, executing this program still does not work. i get the same error below regarding it

C:NCSEXPER\BIN\NCSEXPER.EXE
    -------------------------------
    The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86(32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
    [ok]

================================================== ===================
    Moving onto EasyDIS,

-I did create a ifhsrv32 shortcut on my desktop as per instructions, made the changes you guys mentioned and I was successfull in communicating with the vehicle. going into "Diagnosis" I was able to communicate with no errors, the vehicle managed to detect all my modules and highlight them in black. I even performed a short test, and though I dont know what was it suppose to show/do or how it works, it went through all the modules one by one and I guess did the test successfully. took a minute or two to perform, but it was all good I think.

Went into programming, didnt really know what the hell to do in there as I didnt really want to do programming, but the list of stuff to program did show up. I have not attempted to re-program anything though as I didnt know what to safely try experimenting on.

No errors so far in EasyDIS, so this is showing very promising so far thanks to you both

Now to figure out the problems in inpa, kindly waiting on some replies ideas from you guys.
    Last edited by parad0x; 06-07-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    ================
    Update:
    -Did some more testing, appears that in the folder "BMW Standard Tools" all the programs now work in a sense that they boot up without errors. This includes; INPA, NFS, Tool32, and WinKFP.

Notice this does not include NCS Expert. I dont know why the seperation in folders, but there is as you guys know the other folder called "EDIABAS INPA ELDI NCS NFS" which includes the following programs that do work; Best View32, EDIABAS Tool32, INPA (.IPO), INPA (.ISO), INPA Compiler, NFS, WinKFP. And the following that dont work; Best Compiler, Best View, ETESTER, INPA Screentool, NCS Expert, all because of the same error that's preventing me from loading the program, the 32-64bit incompatability error as posted further above in this thread.

Couple of basic questions though, What's the difference between INPA (.IPO) and INPA (.ISO). I have been using .IPO up to this point as pointed out in the readme file, but I am curious what the difference is. Also, what are the biggest differences between NCS Expert, and WinKFP. I know both do programming, I would ideally prefereably be better off with something that can do more simple coding of options as opposed to reprogramming entire modules which I know can be rather difficult.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    NCS is for coding and copying, WinKFP is for programming. INPA.ipo is the actual program file and this is the one to use to run diagnostics via INPA alone. Since diagnostics are already working under DIS, EDIABAS is obviously working and the problem is related to INPA (the diagnostic interpreter program) alone.

Unless you have an uncapped budget, NCS and WinKFP should be treated with great respect as digging around in these programs and "experimenting" without clear knowledge of all the possible outcomes of your actions is likely to do some permanent and extremely expensive damage to your car's modules. INPA and these related programs were designed for factory use only and not intended for release to and use by the public. This was the reason for the development of DIS/GT1/SSS - to provide a simple user interface so that dealers could perform diagnostic, coding and programming functions without requiring full knowledge of the intracacies of the machinery programs which actually carry out the commands.

If INPA is not running correctly, there is something wrong with your installation which is probably related to mixing of files obtained from more than one source. You should be aware that there are dozens of versions of INPA floating around on Chinese CD's and the internet which have been butchered and changed to alter their functionality and many are untested. Both versions on the 4shared site have been tested and used successfully by dozens of members who, once successful installation has been completed, have not reported any issues.

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    NCS is for coding and copying, WinKFP is for programming. INPA.ipo is the actual program file and this is the one to use to run diagnostics via INPA alone. Since diagnostics are already working under DIS, EDIABAS is obviously working and the problem is related to INPA (the diagnostic interpreter program) alone.

Unless you have an uncapped budget, NCS and WinKFP should be treated with great respect as digging around in these programs and "experimenting" without clear knowledge of all the possible outcomes of your actions is likely to do some permanent and extremely expensive damage to your car's modules. INPA and these related programs were designed for factory use only and not intended for release to and use by the public. This was the reason for the development of DIS/GT1/SSS - to provide a simple user interface so that dealers could perform diagnostic, coding and programming functions without requiring full knowledge of the intracacies of the machinery programs which actually carry out the commands.

If INPA is not running correctly, there is something wrong with your installation which is probably related to mixing of files obtained from more than one source. You should be aware that there are dozens of versions of INPA floating around on Chinese CD's and the internet which have been butchered and changed to alter their functionality and many are untested. Both versions on the 4shared site have been tested and used successfully by dozens of members who, once successful installation has been completed, have not reported any issues.
    though I did receive a cd with a chinese version of inpa on it I discarded/put it aside and actually downloaded/installed your version off of the GT folder. I layed out the steps I took in my initial posts if you can skim through it quickly, I did the initial install then proceeded to install another version through the reference folder, which then did like an update and asked me to replace some files which I had to select to rename. I wrote it all out in my first few posts, I know it's long but I was pretty specific to not leave out any details to help anybody looking over the matter.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    As per post #9, I would suggest that you delete all of your INPA/EDIABAS and related programs and reinstall the version from the NCS folder on the 4shared site. After this has been completed, then install v5.02 by firstly installing the BMW standard tools, then running instprog.exe from the Referenz folder. Just accept the default installation settings (don't change any installation folder settings) and choose update for INPA and EDIABAS and complete for NCS. You can choose to delete the older versions when given this option. The reason for doing the installation this way is that the earlier version of INPA is complete. When the later version was released, BMW restricted the installation by requiring users to access their user-pay GIS in order to obtain some files - by simply updating from the previous version, you are simply adding new files to an already complete installation and so avoid an incomplete installation.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i
    I don't think you can use a version of INPA older than 5.0.1 on a 64-bit Windows OS. I tried 3-4 different installs of INPA 4.4.7, and none of them would work with my OS. They all gave the 32/64bit error that parad0x posted up above. After I read this thread and saw that parad0x had INPA running under version 5.0.1 I tried the same thing, and it does work. Of course I tried a complete install of 5.0.1, not just updating 4.4.7, so maybe you can update 4.4.7 to 5.0.1 and have it work, maybe you can't. I can at least confirm that 4.4.7 will not work in a 64bit win os, but 5.0.1 will. What files/options do you lose out on by using a complete 5.0.1 vs updating?

I just looked at INPA Compiler, there is an option to use the current version tag of v5.0.2, or the 16 bit version of 4.4.x, which pretty much confirms what I said above.

I think basically if you can't get anything to work on a 64 bit OS that works on a 32 bit, its because the program is 16 bit.

EDIT: thank you parad0x for being so detailed in your experiences.
    Last edited by confab; 08-29-2010 at 09:43 PM.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    I think basically if you can't get anything to work on a 64 bit OS that works on a 32 bit, its because the program is 16 bit.
    Yes, that's it. The other case is that you have software with kernel drivers that are 32bit but since it is just a serial port interface that is not the case.

Also BMW TIS is 32-bit but the installer is 16-bit so you can't use it in 64bit windows.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by parad0x View Post
    It says to hit ctrl + SysRq button at once, which I did but instead of bringing me to a prompt it pops a little screen asking if I want to press enter to quit, or press any other key to cancel. I was puzzled as I was sure I was clicking in an empty spot, and everywhere really to experiment. I figured out on my laptop I had to click Ctrl + Shift + SysRq (for those that dont know, SyRq is the same button as Print Screen on my keyboards so double check that too).

After figuring this out, the last part of the document (found below) had me wondering if it was a typo mistake or if I need to do some further modifications.

Just wondering, did David MC mean to say to go along with the whole ??

If this is is a typo and I am correct on this, and David MC was saying he was using a OBD interface so am I correct in guessing I should as well change translator to fister and insure vm is turned off as well since I too am using in reality a OBD interface? Confirmation anyone? DavidMc maybe?

to be clear, while using this Ediabias/Inpa OBD interface, how do I set fister and vm in EasyDis ?
    The actual key combination you're looking for is control + print screen. Unless you have a standard keyboard pressing any combination of control + system request will nothing for you. On my keyboard prt sc and sys rq are separate buttons, so it was doing nothing for me. Also, you can enter the SCOADMIN prompt anywhere from GT1.

Also, I think the way davidmc worded that statement may have confused you. He has an ADS interface. He installed INPA to use an ADS interface, so he setup GT1 to use an ADS interface. Basically everything must match.

Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    Yes, that's it. The other case is that you have software with kernel drivers that are 32bit but since it is just a serial port interface that is not the case.

Also BMW TIS is 32-bit but the installer is 16-bit so you can't use it in 64bit windows.
    Can you install TIS straight to a GT1 program through the administration button on a 64 bit system? I assume you can, but just want to confirm.
    Last edited by confab; 08-29-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    Can you install TIS straight to a GT1 program through the administration button on a 64 bit system? I assume you can, but just want to confirm.
    The answer is yes.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Serial]
    "Group"="Extended base"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Serial\Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Serial\Enum]

This worked like a charm, thanks for the tip.

For those of you with the same error, here are the instructions on how to edit the registry:

Registry Back-Up

Edit Registry

I first made a copy of my entire registry.

I then exported the part of the registry that I wanted to modify as per the instructions. Went to My Documents and made a copy of the registry section and called it BMW Reg Mods. Open up the BMW Reg Mods file using notepad. Cut and paste the text from above into the file. Save the file. Double click on the file and it will automatically load the new values into the registry. Load up INPA and you should not get an error.

Thanks, Randomy for the excellent posts throughout this forum, you and David Mc are awesome!

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk

Code:

"Group"="Extended base"

Im having the inpa error message in the very beginning... How do I "merge" this export??

Do i delete the files that are already in my registry and substitute with these files randomy just posted? Or do i simply insert these files in the same folder with the older files and import into the registry??

I was able to merge the reg with the missing values...but as the op posted,.... it gave me a warning when running obd setup hardware..the value had to be changed to 1 instead of 2 as randomy suggested. Is this ok to do?? I changed it to one and the setup says all the values are ok..
    Last edited by Big Chaze; 03-15-2012 at 08:38 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 6spd 550i w Sport Pk
    Bump