Thread: 840 Cold Air Filter...NOT!

My Cars
    '95 840ci

840 Cold Air Filter...NOT!

As many of the more old timers know, I have been soliciting an air intake lid for about 9 months. I bought the car with a cold "stupidaire" intake, and lost hope that I would find an affordable second hand intake lid (thanks Max Lumens).

To any new comers, a cold air intake is the dumbest thing you can do. I am running Dinan engine and trans chips, and having a cold air intake totally defeated the purpose. After cleaning MAF and installing the lid (w/filter ofcourse) the 8 runs like a beast unleashed. I am not exaggerating here. It sounds better, pulls like a bat of hell, and idles smooth as silk. One of the single best/cheapest fixes as to date!

THX Max for the air silencer lid...but I also thank Randy, Steffen and Koizumi for their guidance.

My Cars
    E89 Z4 35is, E39 Dinan 5
    Sweet! Yeah Max is great! Thanks for the hook ups!
    Pure Turbo, Flex Fuel 2013 Z4 35is, 2000 Dinan 540i

My Cars
    '95 840ci
    +1 Max sent me additional parts at no charge, after he discovered what I needed on a phone conversation...delighted.

Props to Randy, for his part service as well. Randy not only sells me parts, but helps me install them too.

Both Class A guys and should be patronized.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Lookin' good sans cold air

Cheers

PS. Bill (Max Lumens) is great!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    E31
    Racing dynamics makes a cold air intake for the 840

http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=e31

http://www.andysautosport.com/bmw/19...d00177021.html

Has anyone tried it?

GimmieSumMo72 is offline That's my BOY!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E60 E31 Past: E38 E36

840 Cold Air Filter...NOT!

For the 840 I would imagine the CAI's for the E39 540 would be compatible.

I believe Dinan, Conforti and AFE make the proper pipes and heatshields to extend the filter down below.

I was contemplating this on my E38, but decided to stay stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 850i diamantschwarz metallic w/ 2 toned black/light silver grey interior: Mods: 20% Tints, OEM Style 37 rims (Winter), 18" BBS RG-R's Diamond Black (Summer), M3 Style Lip Spoiler, Wokke V2.0 Chips, Magnaflow 14833's, Dinan Performance Transmission Chip, CSi front spoiler, 3000k 35w Fogs, 5000k 55w Lows, Custom Randy/Dinan Suspension, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, Goodrich SS Brake Lines

2004 530i schwarz-2: Mods: 20% Tints, Powdercoated Black OEM Style 122's (Winter), LED Fogs & Sidemarkers, Staggared Style 166's, Apexcone 55w 3000k lows, LED 20w Angel Eyes

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    No better cold air induction system than what is currently stock on either the 850 or the 840.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    E46 M3

No such thing as "cold air filter" only intake.

You are VERY confused about this. BMW installed a stock cold air intake in your 840 and it was not the dumbest thing they could have done. The air comes into a sealed filter area from the front grills, thus "cold air." It looks like someone installed an aftermarket cone filter that was just taking in hot air from the engine. That is why you had poor performance compared to stock. To get higher performance from a performance cone filter, you need to buy or build a heat shield so that it is cold air. I have a cone filter in my M3 with a proper heat shield that has added 13.4HP on the dyno. Cold air intakes is always the way to go, performance if it can fit but otherwise keep stock.

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    Neil, until you own an E31 and understand it's nuances, don't presume to come into the E31 forum as an E46 owner and spout off about what works for one works for all. Your statements aren't incorrect in general, just as it applies to the E31. Look at what the OP said..... quieter, improved response, just overall better. It's what works for our cars.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Steve, that was more of a 'hot air' intake!

I agree the e31, in fact - don't all BMW's have 'cold air' intakes? What about just a high-flow panel filter in the stock location with the stock cover?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
    Steve, that was more of a 'hot air' intake!

I agree the e31, in fact - don't all BMW's have 'cold air' intakes? What about just a high-flow panel filter in the stock location with the stock cover?
    the BEST answer $1,000,000,000 worth of R&D can buy...

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    1994 840ci,2007 328i
    sorry guys im kinda retarded (from all the second hand herbal smoke ) but if i can get a dinan cai would that benefit the e31 if i build a heat box around it compared to stock? or will i loose hp/torque with the dinan cai?

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by perj42 View Post
    sorry guys im kinda retarded (from all the second hand herbal smoke ) but if i can get a dinan cai would that benefit the e31 if i build a heat box around it compared to stock? or will i loose hp/torque with the dinan cai?

CAIs are pointless on this car, and we'll just assume all that "herbal smoke" is why you bumped a 7 year old thread.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    CAIs are pointless on this car, and we'll just assume all that "herbal smoke" is why you bumped a 7 year old thread.
    SMOKE WEED EVERY SINGLE DAY. California politicians are counting on it.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    1995 840Ci, 2013 X5
    Cai's are pointless on e31s and high flow filters admit too much crap. I ripped my k&n filter out as soon as I saw a picture of sandblasting on an e31s intakes attributed to k&N's.

Brett

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    An intact, stock air intake system on the E31 is by far the best you can get. It pulls in air from the front of the car (not from the hot engine bay), in a large volume and constructs it as it gets to the DKs. In effect it is almost a ram-air system. K&N filters (or similar) are the absolute worst thing you can put on these cars. Not only do they let in larger dirt particles, but the oil that is used on them, burn up the MAF metering wire which has a couple of negative effects. If you can't find MAHLE paper filters, ask for WIX - they are relatively inexpensive and will protect your engine and MAFS (along with your wallet).

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III