Thread: Manual 535i project? Rough but runs good

My Cars
    1989 535i 2006 Civic

Manual 535i project? Rough but runs good

Been really wanting this 535i Down the road from me i think I could probably have for around $600. Have always loved the e34 and also iv been looking for a project recently something to mess around on in my spare time. The car does run good its a 91 I believe w right under 200k and best of all its 5 speed manual otherwise I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought becuase overall I would say its far from good shape lol. Was told it recently had a lot of service done to it but it has been sitting a while now probably about 2 years and only cranked once when I checked it out lol. Should I be worried about how long its sat.The body is pretty straight just every inch of the clear is peeling on it and i believe it will need tires and a battery as well as a lot of interior help. The interior could use both front seats, door panels, glove box, center console pieces, carpet . I just was wondering if she was worth trying to fix up i know the interior pieces can be kind of rare and pricey but i suppose I could get lucky and find one in a junkyard with a complete good shape interior. With as much as it needs at least I would be able to change everything out to what color etc I actually want. Is mostly everything in the interior for all models interchangeable from 88 to 96? Is there any online stores that sell things like this or online market places? Im sure it will need suspension as well as things here and there for the motor or transmission as well but I have no problem working on bmw's. It just needs a lot i have tried to look around for another cheapo but the manuals are very hard to come by around here at least.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    There are companies that reproduce the seat upholstery in leather at reasonable cost. Used interior parts are still around, I have some grey bits, peruse the classifieds here and elsewhere.
    Some '91s had "EML" throttle which can be troublesome and there are few parts available to repair.
    Unless sitting in damp conditions I wouldn't worry much about a two year sleep. Fresh fuel and a good dose of Techron concentrate ought to clean up the fuel injectors. Give it a good servicing, "service II" in the owner's book.
    The engine is legendary for it's strength, reliability and long life. If even moderately well kept and not overheated I'd not be a bit concerned @ 200K miles.

If you buy it and change your mind about it later I'd be a buyer.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    I think a running/driving E34 535i manual trans is a bargain at $600. Where in Tennessee? Maybe i'll come buy it
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician