Thread: Not starting first cold crank, second crank starts with idle hesitation for 3 second

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick

Not starting first cold crank, second crank starts with idle hesitation for 3 second

Hey there guys, have a 2002 stickshift m3 with starting problems unfortunately. On the first cold crank attempt (if left parked for at least several hours) she does not start (the starter is cranking over good, but does not start) even letting the starter turn over for up to 6-7 seconds.

After this fail when I go to crank a second attempt she starts right up but with idle hesitations for about 3 seconds (not able to find an idle point, so unstable it almost stalls sounds like) then it drives normally thereafter ?

I am curious if this has something to do with the camshaft or crankshaft sensor, or if it is some silly thing called 'summer gas' which is kinda suspicious as I never had this problem last year filling up from the same gas station?

vehicle has all new ignition coils, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and a cleaned maf sensor as of 3k km's ago with cnc mass air flow cleaner. Does this sound familiar with anybody elses problems?

My Cars
    M3, M5, 850i, 325
    If you check out the M3forums under the E46 section you will see a sticky or two on this subject.
    Current:
    '03 E46 M3 - full bolt on
    '95 E36 M3

Past:
    '02 E39 M5
    '94 E36 325is M-Technic
    '91 E31 850i

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    Quote Originally Posted by Efterlyst27 View Post
    If you check out the M3forums under the E46 section you will see a sticky or two on this subject.
    thanks for your post but i was unable to find a thread stickied related to my problem other then one thread where the OP was having issues with his car cranking in general where his starter was just not turning over. My starter cranks over very healthy the second I turn the key to the cranking position, but it just does not want to fire up properly.

My Cars
    See sig
    That sounds kinda similarish to the typical cold starting problem. My previous M3 (a 2003.5) had that. It is characterized by failing to start successfully on the first try (turns over, catches, stumbles, stalls), then starting normally on the second try. The consensus on this issue was to, well, ignore it.

Yours seems to be a touch different. If I were in your situation, I would probably just watch it, and live with it. These are high strung cars, and you can expect a little bit of an unsteady idle at startup (on my M635, it sounds like the car is goin to stall, badly!)

That being said, trying to address the issue, does it do the same when the car is warm? (you only stated on cold starts) What in the array of sensors controls the cold start of the vehicle? On the 635 I used to own, there was a cold start valve that would prime the engine with fuel for 8 sec on a cold start. Now, I am sure its electronically controlled now, but that could be contributing to the problem.

Another possibility...are you giving the fuel pump a chance to prime? (should be able to hear it when you first turn the key to the #2 position)
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    M3, M5, 850i, 325
    Current:
    '03 E46 M3 - full bolt on
    '95 E36 M3

Past:
    '02 E39 M5
    '94 E36 325is M-Technic
    '91 E31 850i