Thread: SMG + EML light

My Cars
    M3 e46 SMGII

SMG + EML light

Hello all,

I'm new on this forum. I'm from France so I apologize for my english.

I have a problem on my M3 e46 SMGII, with 53000km, that isn't solved yet : BMW works on my car since 1 month and they've found nothing...

The problem is that, suddenly, the SMG light comes on, and a few minutes after, the EML light comes on also. But the car and the SMG box continues to work correctly. And if we let the car stopped a little bit, the lights switch off by themselves.
    During a hundred of km, the lights will not appear, and then, suddenly, they appear again.

My dealer is in relation with BMW France, but they don't find anything...

Do you know what can be the source of the problem ? Is there someone who knows about this problem ?

Thank you by advance.

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    Check the relay (often referred to as the "Salmon relay" because of the color). My SMG did the same thing and it turned out to be a faulty relay.

The relay is part #3 in this diagram located in the engine compartment:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&fg=25&hl=13
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon
    '11 VW Golf TDI (which retained its value *REALLY* well!)

My Cars
    M3 e46 SMGII
    Thank you George for your answer.

Unfortunately, I've already changed this salmon relay. In fact, a few months ago, I had another issue, the car went from 1st -> N every time I tried to accelerate, so I was completely blocked. BMW changed this salmon relay and changed also a flexible that started to weak.

Could this relay be also faulty ? Should I try to change it again ? And what about the other relays ? Should I change them also ?

Thank you for your answer.

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    It may be a weak SMG pump.

What's your climate and driving conditions like? In hot weather with lots of stop and go traffic, you might be overheating the system.

Has your car ever been flashed with aftermarket software? That is something like Jim Conforti's Shark Injector? Has the car had the latest software updates from BMW installed?
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon
    '11 VW Golf TDI (which retained its value *REALLY* well!)

My Cars
    M3 e46 SMGII
    The climate is "normal", not hot. No stop and go traffic too.

The car will work fine for 1 week, and suddenly, the lights will come on, without any change on the feeling of the SMG...

The car received an engine tune (software) but I said to BMW to put again the "original" software, to see if it's due to that. All the updates have been done also.

BMW doesn't understand what happens...

The only thing that I've just thought is that when I buy the car, I had to install a GPS tracker for the theft (demanded by my insurance), and they installed it just under the steering wheel. Maybe they used a cord that is linked to the SMG and which create disruptions ??