eBMWParts

Thread: need a simple explanation....

My Cars
    06 M Roady; 2011 Mini S

need a simple explanation....

Looking for a simple, newb explanation on why a car looks "lifted" when changing from 18 inch to 19 inch wheels and tires, even though the total diameter of the two are exactly the same. Can anyone explain this to me?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    If the total diameter is the same for both sets of wheels the height of the car will not change.

My Cars
    06 M Roady; 2011 Mini S
    Logically, that's exactly correct. However, I find reality is a bit different. Perhaps the ride height isn't changing, but the gap space between tire and fender sure increases
    Last edited by vicj; 06-01-2010 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The 19" combo would have the same tire top to fender gap, but a shorter sidewall. Are you saying the 18" combo looks like it has less total gap?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vicj View Post
    Logically, that's exactly correct. However, I find reality is a bit different. Perhaps the ride height isn't changing, but the gap space between tire and fender sure increases
    Impossible! show me a picture. Two exactly same diameter wheels/tires will have the same exact fender gap. It's just an illusion because the sidewall is getting flatter with a larger rim.