Thread: Need help with a E28. runs way rich, dies on idle, and sputters on light throttle.

My Cars
    1887 535i

Need help with a E28. runs way rich, dies on idle, and sputters on light throttle.

Hello, I'm trying to fix up a 87 535i and I need some help! I ordered a new intake boot and coolant temp sennsor. Ive adjusted the valves, put a new reference sensor in it, changed the spark plugs, put a distrib cap and rotor on, adjusted the afm arm, and afm door isnt sticky either. I havent tried another ecm yet. The injectors have been cleaned and bench tested, I used new o-rings. Were going through the vacuum system, checking sensors, valves, etc. A couple things we've noticed, There isnt a one way valve under the thottle body in the vacuum line that goes to the thermostat housing. Also the car doesnt have a cabin temp sensor, I thought all e28's had them am i wrong? If there is suppose to be one could someone take a picture where its at, I cant find the plug for it either, if someone could trace the wires down for me or if you know where they go into the harness please HELP. Will this little bugger affect the idle of the car, the way it runs if plugged off? Thanks alot

My Cars
    1984 533i
    Have you considered replacing the fuel pressure regulator? I had a similar problem on my Saab and went through similar steps. Ultimately, the pressure regulator was the ticket.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    x2. on FPR.

My Cars
    99 735i
    I had a similar problem my idle would fluctuate and sometimes it'll die when the idle gets too low. It was also giving me poor gas mileage. Turned out to be my oxygen sensor. Mine was an 86 535i and I was able to find a universal one at Kragen for about 60 bucks just needed splice some wires.

My Cars
    1985 528i

e28 running rich

Have you found the problem?

My Cars
    2.7 E21, 2002, E30's
    theres a spade connector on the starter motor, check to see if it's connected. I had the exact same problem with mine, the connector broke off.

My Cars
    1985 528i

Spade connector

M202002,

Do you know what circuit that was tied to, or what color the wire(s) were?

My Cars
    2.7 E21, 2002, E30's
    Hey buddy, from memory it was 2 wires connected to one spade connector. One is yellow and the other is yellow/black.

Waz

My Cars
    2.7 E21, 2002, E30's
    How did you go? did it fix the problem?

My Cars
    1985 528i

MyNameIsDjyche

Looks like MyNameIsDjyche is AWOL

My Cars
    1887 535i
    hahaha sorry guys, i lost my internet. I dont get the chance to get on the forums as much anymore..Getting some more parts for the E28 tom, a ecu, fpr, afm, cabin temp sensor, and two spare relays. The intake boot, spark plugs, and coolant temp sensor didnt fix the problem but all needed so whatever. Let you know what happens this weekend, and i'll check that starter connection too. Thanks!!!!

My Cars
    1887 535i
    car's running perfect, turns out the fpr and the afm were bad so you can imagine what it feels like now.... it was faster before though haha, just ran like crap overall. Thanks for the help guys..

My Cars
    1982 bmw 528e
    ok so i am having the exact same problem you had. My car has been to the shop 3 times for it and the technicians were unable to fix the problem...i will check the fuel pressure regulator and what does afm stand for? I plan on testing these two things and hopefully fixing the problem.

My Cars
    '74 tii, '85 & '86 535i
    AFM = air flow meter, the metal waffle-topped item between the air filter housing and intake manifold.
    John in VA
    BMW CCA member
    National Capital Chapter
    '74 tii "Juanita"
    '85 535i "Goldie"
    '86 535i "M-POSSTR"
    '00 328i "Fern"
    '03 530i "Titan"