2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by weaksauce View Post
    well hurry up.
    Irony?

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
    Irony?
    mines running. has been for a month. although, probably not for long as I'm about done with the interior restoration on it, so then its time to pull the motor back out and start the real swap.

Last edited by weaksauce; 04-23-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    coming soon, S54's for everything....

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    mines running. has been for a month. although, probably not for long as I'm about done with the interior restoration on it, so then its time to pull the motor back out and start the real swap.

I was referencing the E30 M30

My Cars
    none
    I was referencing the E30 M30
    its at the paint shop still. it got painted yesterday. should have it back next week to start the re-assembly.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    its at the paint shop still. it got painted yesterday. should have it back next week to start the re-assembly.
    I still don't have the budget for some of the parts I need, namely the Innovate LC-1 wideband... I'll also have to run 4 lug initially because I'm going to have to start slowly buying the parts for the rest of the 5 lug swap...

Speaking of, got any 318ti or Z3 rear trailing arms? And do you have a need for a 2nd M30? I'll be pulling the one out of my E24 soon, sans oil pan. Also has a Getrag 260 (I think? It's a 2 piece trans with a finned bottom cover) bolted to it.
    Last edited by AdamBath; 04-24-2012 at 10:38 PM.

My Cars
    none
    nope. i have 1 set of 318ti arms that are going on my e30 swap car.sorry

My Cars
    4 m52s,m50,m20,s52
    Revshift makes great products. I have complete urethane bushings in my 24v e30.

Cheif Senior Hitman Engineer 1st Class

BfcOT Mafia

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I pulled my m54 from my white car and swapped it into my red car in around a week or two

Feels good man

looking to hit 260whp soon

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    I pulled my m54 from my white car and swapped it into my red car in around a week or two

Feels good man

looking to hit 260whp soon
    Cool. Convert it to OBD I? Still have dual VANOS? I'm not going the OBD I route.

I'm also not working on this yet again as I'm working on getting a job in Austin, if I get that then I'll have to put money towards relocation and such.

My Cars
    e30, e30, e34, e34T, M3
    Cool. Convert it to OBD I? Still have dual VANOS? I'm not going the OBD I route.

I'm also not working on this yet again as I'm working on getting a job in Austin, if I get that then I'll have to put money towards relocation and such.
    You still have the trans from your 6'er? Quanto?

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaguer View Post
    You still have the trans from your 6'er? Quanto?
    I do, I'll pm you.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Since my budget is so shot I decided to look at my Megasquirt breakout box. I wasn't happy with wiring directly to the terminals so I picked up a piece of predrilled circuit board and attached it to the stock M54's DME plug:

I think this will be a lot more solid than how I was previously doing it. It's not pretty but it will work.

My Cars
    none
    keep plugging away at it. you'll get there.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Now that my budgetary issues have worked out things are moving along. I've got the wideband on the way. Need to procure the headers so I can get things mounted in the car...

I am also going to be Megasquirting my Pathfinder first, I'm not happy with the fuel economy it's getting and think it can do better plus I'd just like the added experience and it's already a running vehicle. I'm going to build the Megasquirt into a stock ECU casing using the stock connector so that it will basically be plug and play (except for the sequential ignition part, if I went back to stock I'd have to put the distributor back together). I've already prepped the Megasquirt I've talked about in this thread for when the spare ECU casing gets here, will just need to figure out how I'm going to mount it then.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Trying to procure the headers for my E30 build but the guy is out of town... Once I can bolt those to the engine I'll drop it in, don't feel like installing them with the engine in already.

My wideband O2 sensor and the remaining parts for the Pathfinder Megasquirt get in tomorrow. Can't wait. If anyone wants to see what I'm doing with the Pathfinder:

I've wired up the injectors, grounds, power to the MS3X, ICV, and one or two other things. I've got to figure out which crank position sensor I need to hook up, there are two, an inner and outer ring on the crank position sensor wheel, I need the outer wheel but it's not clearly labeled in the FSM. I'm going sequential ignition/injection as well so the LS1/LS2 upgrade coils will be here tomorrow too.

My Cars
    none
    looks fun!

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    looks fun!
    I'm really enjoying it so far. I've got the coils mounted in a way that they look like they could be OEM, they even use OEM bolt holes. The guy I bought the coils from also included the wiring harnesses and the brackets so it was easy work to build a new harness for them and mount them. Gonna need to shorten my spark plug wires or buy some LSx ones.

The spark plug wire routing is hilariously bad I'm hoping to start it up today and get some datalogging for VE Analyzer done.

My Cars
    2003.5 M3 Convertible
    Good luck, car looks nice - Totally jealous of the cutlass' in the background of your first photos! I redid a 72, and am looking for another project. I spot at least 5, are they yours?

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    No that's just the lot the car was in when I got it.

Spent all evening trying to get the damned crank sensor working, finally got it around 10pm. Tomorrow is hopefully the first startup with the Pathfinder Megasquirt.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Wait is over. I am able to program MS42 and MS43 engine computers from E46 so that M52TU and M54 engines can be swapped into other chassis with minimal wiring effort.
    These dual vanos engines are getting cheaper and gaining popularity in getting them swapped into E30 , E36 or some other BMW. In my case I did the swap to E36, other than the known differences regarding swap the wiring effort is the same as if I did it to E30. This is why I am posting the wiring information here.
    Assuming you bought some good 99-04 dual vanos engine with complete harness and ecu with relay tray, and want to do a swap into your E30, you will also need X60004 harness plug that goes from the DME to chassis of donor car, the rest of the wiring is pretty much integrated with the engine. You will also need electronic gas pedal with electrical plug from donor car if you have MS43 dme engine. And that’s about it. The rest of the components is pretty much the same as doing M50 swap. This thread will focus on wiring and engine management system only.

Your engine harness will have few connectors that plug into chassis and those are:

4 pin connector:

1: empty
    2: switched 12+ from ignition switch (red/white wire) this turns on DME relay
    3: reverse light switch on transmission (yellow/blue wire)
    4: reverse light switch on transmission (white/green wire)

8 pin connector:
    1: starter run wire from ignition switch (black wire)
    2: oil level sensor switched 12+ from ignition switch (brown/green wire)
    3 4 5 6 7 8 are all empty

The dual 2 pin connectors with red wires are all 12+ constant battery
    You will have to wire fuel pump relay the same way it is on E36, it is just basic 5 pin light green relay. The DME and Injectors relay is already integrated into MS42/MS43 harness.

40 pin X60004 plug wiring:

1: alternator charge indicator signal, [run this wire to inctrument cluster battery light]
    7: ground wire for electronic pedal to pin 1 [MS43 only]
    8: electronic pedal signal to pin 4 [MS43]
    9: voltage supply for pedal pin 5 [MS43]
    10: fuel pump relay activation ground wire [wire this to fuel pump relay, sends ground signal to activate fuel pump relay coil]
    11: oil pressure warning light [wire to instrument cluster oil pressure light]
    12: ground pedal sensor to pin 2 [MS43]
    13: signal pedal sensor to pin 6 [MS43]
    14: voltage supply for pedal to pin 3 [MS43]
    17: RPM signal to instrument cluster
    26: switched +12 from ignition switch
    32: K-line to pin 7 of OBD2 connector

That is it for X60004 connector, no need to connect any other wires

Engine temperature sensor will have to be wired independently and installed somewhere on the cooling system.
    There will also be a ground wire brown color that you must bolt to the chassis ground. Also fat wire from starter needs to go to battery 12+, also don’t forget to run one power wire from battery + outlet to the fuse box.
    DME location can be left there to sit on top of the fuse box but it does not look pretty. 99-00 MS42 engines will work with E34 throttle cable but the end of it needs to be shaped into a ball to fit the throttle linkage. It is still electronic throttle, cable only operates two wish sensors inside the body. So MS42 and MS43 and almost the same, and M52TU and M54 is basically the same engine. You will need exhaust manifolds from 96-99 E36 as well as the engine mounting brackets, E46 stuff does not fit, it is too big. There is a fuel tank vent hose that plugs in the back of the manifold, that needs to be plugged, then you just run the fuel tank vent line to recirculating valve that is located behind oil filter housing

I am not running heater lines on my engine, but if you have to, the rear one will plug in just fine, you have the install a T on the front outlet then run it back to the heater and the other side of the T to the radiator bottle. AC compressor will have to be triggered manually the same way it is with M50 swaps. Thermostat outlet lines, just cut the clamps and remove quick connects from the E46 hoses and plug them on the thermostat housing then cut to fit E36 radiator hoses, hoses must be Gates brand. Remote fuel pressure regulator must be installed, 96+ E36 one also works and that’s what I am using.

That’s about it, the rest is the same as if you were doing M50 swap.
    Donor E46:

I am also using E46 power steering lines without cooler. As you can see in the photo dual vanos engine package installed, and you see the plastic DME holder with relays, that’s how you should get your engine, if you get it with harness all cut up then it may be a problem getting the right harness.

You can see here the S52/M52 exhaust manifolds with 02 sensors installed, then the lines wired to the block so that they don’t touch the manifolds. Rear 02 sensors are not required with my programming.

Testing and experimenting:

Video of engine running smooth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pec3tbiQp_g

List of components removed with my programming:
    EWS system
    Rear oxygen sensors
    Catalytic converter monitoring
    Secondary air pump system, pump relay and monitoring
    Fuel tank pressure monitoring and module
    DSC ASC EGS CAN bus communications
    Vehicle speed sensor
    Radiator temperature sensor, and fan module
    Clutch switch, brake switch, cruise control MFL steering wheel
    Steering angle sensor
    And few more that I can’t remember now, but it all runs great and there are no codes. You won’t be able to have check engine light feature with MS42/MS43

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i

6 years later

Different car, different drivetrain, still in progress.

Still have the blue E30, but it'll get the M20 out of this car once I rebuild it... Probably finish that in 2024
    Last edited by AdamBath; 07-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Got a E34 remote booster on the way.

Upper intake is painted.

This weekend I visited the junkyard, grabbed a starter and a set of LS coils from a Suburban.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Had time for real minor stuff yesterday. Grabbed a pair of 7/16-14 set screws, a 7/16-14 tap, and plugged the two vacuum lines that interfere with my valve covers. Didn't need them anyways, but used red Loctite, just in case I ever did need them again.

Also picked up a PCV grommet. Need to finish up the wiring on top of the motor and start putting the intake manifold on. Not sure which direction I'll be bolting the manifold on, any input is welcome.

Thanks to the moderators for changing the thread title for me
    Last edited by AdamBath; 07-25-2018 at 11:05 AM.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i

Added AT LEAST 40hp today.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast