Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ford 302 E30 build...

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI

Fuel rail came in, started putting it together to see if the intake fits. It doesn't, but it won't be hard to fit, the fuel rail is just barely touching the bottom of the manifold in one spot. Plenty of meat to clearance there.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI

Got most of the wiring done. Need to wire up the TPS and idle control, drill/tap for the idle air temp sender, and mount the alternator to include that wiring. Coming along nicely.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    Working out what I need for the exhaust, went ahead and ordered a custom spark plug kit today, as well as a few of the exhaust components. Need 90 degree angle boots on the plug side for the GT40P heads and the BBK shorty unequal length headers, but need LS boots on the coil side. Wound up ordering a Mallory Sidewinder kit and some Taylor LS boots. Should be here by Friday, so I'll be able to build them on Saturday, maybe start it by Sunday.
    Last edited by AdamBath; 08-01-2018 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    Eventful day, till I had to leave for a friends get together.

Started the morning at the junkyard, grabbed a Fox body gas pedal and throttle cable, as well as the bolts I need to install the upper intake manifold.

Then wrestled with the fuel rail, got it mounted lower which gave the intake plenty of clearance. The rail kit I bought didn't come with everything I needed, should have bought one with a regulator, but I was able to find the parts to make the regulator I have work, so the fuel rail is complete. Tomorrow I'll start by mounting the pressure regulator, then finish up the wiring work.

And just worked out the LS coil wiring, so I can wire those up easily tomorrow.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    So yesterday I decided to bring all my wiring in the house and work on it on my electronics bench. Got about 90% of it done, but by the time I'd already put 8 hours into it my brain was mush, so I stopped. Didn't get to start the engine this weekend, but I should have the harness finished in short order, all I have left is to add some fuses for the injectors and coils, wire up the C101, and wire up the Innovate LC-1 wideband.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    Last night I pulled out my old Innovate LC-1 and open-air calibrated it. This morning I ordered another oil pan, going to give that another go now that I see how it fits in the car.

My Cars
    2008 M5
    Where are the images?!!!

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Where are the images?!!!
    Guess this is one of the sites that IMGUR doesn't work on... Will try to get them on my host this weekend.

edit: Here's the most recent picture...

I've got the wiring harness more fleshed out than this, and should have it done this weekend. Tonight I wired up the main, fuel, and O2 sensor relays.
    Last edited by AdamBath; 08-10-2018 at 11:32 PM.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    Wrapped up the engine harness today. I salvaged the O2/Fuel/Main relay another E30 harness, those are working properly, and I have the minimum wiring from the C101 working currently. I kept the rest of the wires in the C101 for now, I want to see how much I can get to actually work properly.

The Megasquirt powers up, the fuel pump relay seems to be functioning properly, and I checked anything else I could check. I was tripped up by the TPS for a moment. It wasn't working at all, so I did some investigating. I accidentally wired the 5v reference wire to the pin next to it. Fixed that and got 5v from the reference to ground, but not to sensor ground. Once I connected sensor ground to ground I was able to figure out the TPS wiring (had the wires mismatched) and get that working perfectly. I still need to give power to the injectors, then the harness is 100% done, at least for now. I may get the wires where I want and shorten some portions of it, right now it's comically long.

Go figure I get it working on a rainy day.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    No start today, but got a LOT done after the rain cleared up. Made custom spark plug wires for the LS coils with 90 degree ends at the spark plug. Got all the wires run, intake installed, and got the starter wired up, or so I thought... Couldn't get it to turn over, it got dark so I wrapped up. Came in and realized the E30V8 guide isn't great for a Megasquirt setup. I'll hopefully have the starter up and running tomorrow after work.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    Got the starter to kick over, only to realize I have the wrong starter. Mistakenly thought the Explorer was 157 tooth. Going to grab a starter on the way home.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    The things you learn when you actually do research... I have the wrong bellhousing... Or I have the wrong clutch/flywheel, but finding the correct bellhousing is a bit easier/cheaper than replacing the clutch/flywheel.

There are 2 302 T-5 bellhousings for sale now in my area, for $50 and $65, so I at least have options... Minor setback I guess.

My Cars
    04 Golf TDI
    Wife picked up the $50 bell housing for me tonight, was way up north near where she works. It's the right part, fits the starter locating plate I bought a while back and thought was the wrong part. Will try to swap everything out this weekend.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234