Thread: PLEASE HELP swap M42 into M40 car? Plug N play? what else do i need/can i use?

My Cars
    1992 318i Sedan M40B18

PLEASE HELP swap M42 into M40 car? Plug N play? what else do i need/can i use?

Was suggested to post this here b/c the E36 group doesn't know much about the M40... hope you guys can help! an answer to anything, if not all of it, would be greatly appreciated!

So i have a 92 318i E36 sedan with a M40B18, made for Europe, where I am now [from NJ tho]. I blew up the engine when it started knocking at 120mph [190km] b/c I'm a total idiot who didn't check the oil for 2 weeks knowing it had a leak.. anywayyyy, it still drives, but sounds awful, https://youtu.be/xR0nx7IJla4 (i turn the flash on shortly after the start)

I have locally sourced a M42B18 [https://imgur.com/a/8ouLEPf] for about a 2 days worth of pay, so it's very reasonable for me to pick up. The thing is, there is a language barrier here and I think it comes with just the long block and exhaust manifold, no wiring, no intake, no accessories, no pulleys, etc. I'm going to have a friend call and see what else they have for it to offer/sell but would like to know what I need before I call them up...

So my real questions is: if I want to throw this engine in my car, what else would I need to have and what can I use from my car?
    -Are the mounts all the same?
    -Would the harness plug right in? They're both OBD1, engine i'm 99% sure about. and for my car, does it have a separate engine sub harness? Or all 1 piece?
    -Can i use the same alternator/water pump/ power steering pump/ A/C Condensor? I believe I'd need new pulleys, but confirmation would be great.
    -Am I going to have a problem with EWS? Did the 92s come with EWS? I know my car has an aftermarket alarm on it [key pad and my neighbors have the same lock/unlock sound on his VW] the system has an immobilizer that makes it so it cranks but doesn't start after 60seconds of unlock without the key... Do I need to do anything with this? Would it just plug right in or Do I need something else?
    -Will the exhaust I have mount up to the exhaust manifold [it's pictured in the ad]
    - trans and clutch would mount and bolt right up or no?

sorry for the novel, but PLEASEEEE help guys, I've been a long time lurker, but haven't posted much, I hope you guys can help me, i'm driving a 1.3L corolla with like 60HP in the meantime

My Cars
    1992 318i Sedan M40B18
    bumppppp, sorry for the novel guys but I need some infoo,

will it plug n play?

will stock clutch and trans and drive shaft work?

thankssss