Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *DIY Shadowline with paint.

My Cars
    cars

*DIY Shadowline with paint.

Yesterday morning i started my mini project to black-out the trim of my car for a cleaner look. I thought i could take some pictures and share this with you guys since i can't really contribute too much on the technical side.
    Thank you Louie for all the info !

If you decide to do it, this is what you need:

3M scouring pad or/and 3M sanding sponge (fine) - i ended up using three, blue masking tape, masking paper and for paint i used SEM 39143.

"Wrapping the car"

This is how i did it on the right side and it was WRONG.....

.....because when i opened the door:

The trim inside didn't get painted so i had to do it again properly (made a quick run to home depot for more sanding sponge):

Left side :

Doors:

Sanding the trim

Make sure you don't sand the trim superficially so be ready to spend some time doing this. The wax is the first thing that came off and filled the sanding sponges pretty quickly.

When you are done sanding, clean the trim with a microfiber cloth.

Painting

Start applying the paint in thin layers. Let the paint dry after each layer, 4-5 layers will do the job.

I removed the masking two hours after i applied the last layer of paint.Don't wash the car for the next two days. The paint needs 48 hours to be fully dry.

The grill comes out pretty easily and it gets the same treatment. Watch out not the break the little pins while you hold it for sanding (i broke 2 ).

Going to use http://chromeandcarbon.tripod.com/ to black-out the 4 pieces inside the car.

I love how the car looks now !
    Last edited by Schneider; 05-27-2010 at 03:44 PM.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Good job grasshopper. The student will soon become the master.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    this is high on my to-do list

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    '12 Golf, '95 540iA sold
    Awesome job and great pics! I'd be all over this if I had a color other than white.

My Cars
    A Beamer & a Bentley
    Good job.

But for anyone else doing this.. I highly recommend covering more of the car, even if it's with a tarp of some sort. Rattle can can create quite a dust cloud that can drift to the other parts of the car. (ask me how I know). Yes, the overspray can be removed with a good detail, but can be easily avoided by just covering up.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by jbondbmw View Post
    Awesome job and great pics! I'd be all over this if I had a color other than white.
    really? I did the kid's e30, Alpine White, and it looks great.

My Cars
    '12 Golf, '95 540iA sold
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    really? I did the kid's e30, Alpine White, and it looks great.
    I don't think shadowline looks bad on white at all, but I do prefer the chrome on white. I think it gives it a little pop. Also, my car is more luxury that sport in its setup, so I think the chrome better suits it in that respect as well.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Dumb question here, but here goes. Masking paper from a paint shop? Does it have to be auto paint shop or any paint shop?

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    Good job grasshopper. The student will soon become the master.
    Hehe thanks !

My Cars
    89 535i 04 Sport Tra
    You can get the same stuff at Home Depot or Lowes paint dept.

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Dumb question here, but here goes. Masking paper from a paint shop? Does it have to be auto paint shop or any paint shop?
    Home Depot was the source of all prep ingredients.
    Sem paint - you can find it online or at a local car paint supply shop.

I think both chrome and black trims look nice on alpine white.
    Last edited by Schneider; 05-27-2010 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Newspaper works just fine.

My Cars
    2007 328i E92
    Looks great, but one more note for any of you doing this (or any) paint job...

Before sanding you should apply some paint prep solution (I forget the DuPont number for it) which will remove that wax before you begin. In sanding it as is, you've ground the wax into the metal making for less than optimal paint adhesion. Hope the black stays on for you, but if it doesn't you now know why.

+1 on covering more of the car. A huge plastic drop cloth from Home Depot costs about $3.00.

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by filmy View Post
    Looks great, but one more note for any of you doing this (or any) paint job...

Before sanding you should apply some paint prep solution (I forget the DuPont number for it) which will remove that wax before you begin. In sanding it as is, you've ground the wax into the metal making for less than optimal paint adhesion. Hope the black stays on for you, but if it doesn't you now know why.

+1 on covering more of the car. A huge plastic drop cloth from Home Depot costs about $3.00.
    I cleaned the grill with Goo Gone but wasn't sure if i should do the trim too. Didn't want to damage the rubbers. I think the paint will stay there because i sanded alot ( filled 3 sanding sponges)....time will tell.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    All materials for this DIY (except for the SEM Trim black) are available at home depot. Newspaper will work, but it's a pain to work with, may allow paint to bleed through and is messy. Proper paper and tape on a dispenser makes the masking almost tolerable.

My Cars
    525i, X5, M3, Jag, Mase
    Cover well... Did my car few months ago. Also, take off the side mirrors. It is very easy to take off.

Quote Originally Posted by E34N View Post
    But for anyone else doing this.. I highly recommend covering more of the car, even if it's with a tarp of some sort. Rattle can can create quite a dust cloud that can drift to the other parts of the car. (ask me how I know). Yes, the overspray can be removed with a good detail, but can be easily avoided by just covering up.
    All the time and money I spent on my cars; I would do it all over again… /// M POWER

My Cars
    1991 535i/5
    Any reason why you didn't pop the trim off and paint it? Should just pop right off with a couple of bux worth of tools from the auto parts store. I did my E28 that way and will do the E34(weather permitting) this next weekend. Maybe I should do a how-to?
    So other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

My Cars
    BMW 850, Alpina B10 Biturbo, Alpina B12 5.0
    Looks awesome - nice work!!!

The kids:
    Alpinas: 91 E34 B10 Biturbo; 91 E32 B12 5.0; 91 E34 B10 3.0 Allrad (mom's car); '91 B10 3.5
    Bimmers: 91 E31 850; 93 E34 525i w/ aftermarket turbo; '01 X5 4.4; 93 E31 850i Dinan TT; 89 E32 750il Dinan TT; 92 750il w/ S70 engine and transmission
    Mercedes: 92 600sel; 93 S600 Lorinser
    VW: 04 Jetta GLS TDI

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverlion View Post
    Any reason why you didn't pop the trim off and paint it? Should just pop right off with a couple of bux worth of tools from the auto parts store. I did my E28 that way and will do the E34(weather permitting) this next weekend. Maybe I should do a how-to?
    Buy extra clips before you start.
    On the touring the top is one long piece and easy to bend. Easier to leave it on.

My Cars
    '95 E34 iT, RUCKUS
    ditto on the top trim... let us know how that comes off for ya... been thinkin of shadowlining... but im lookin to put a spin on it to suit my tastes.

My Cars
    1995 E34 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverlion View Post
    +1 on this, they are easy to take off BUT the front door outer trim WILL get bend. I babied it and it still got bend. Other parts of the trim come off like butter.

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    I removed the trim and then put it on using all new clips and it was easy to remove, and a little difficult to reinstall. I ended up having to let them dry for 3 days and then taking a rubber mallet and hammering it back on. But it looks perfect!!!

My Cars
    1995 740il, 1994 540it,
    nice work!!!!!

My Cars
    www.garaget.org/skillz
    Woha, i just got myself another parts touring (524td Touring) added to my collection which has the real shadowline trim. Hope i don't screw it up removing it..

My Cars
    325ic
    It is not all that hard to remove the trim from the car. Either way; the shadow line is the way to go. It looks so much better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast