Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E36 front speakers not working

My Cars
    ???

E36 front speakers not working

edited: I replaced the amplifier and the left kick panel speaker and still didnt fix the problem
    left door speakers are BSW and kick panel is a replacement stock one

my rears work fine as do the right side fronts but the 2 in the front left door and the left lower kick panel don't work at all. I took the door panel off Could anybody point me to some ideas?

thanks
    Last edited by dfoxengr; 10-27-2010 at 12:10 PM.

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    If the front kick panel speakers are working, at least we know the issue isn't in the pre-amp side of things (radio, amplifier inputs).

So, we need to look the door speakers themselves. I would remove both door panels and get all of the suspect speakers completely removed. From there, take a known working midrange and connect it to the midrange wires in the door, and a known working tweeter to the tweeter wires in the door. Repeat this on both sides.

It's rare to see an individual channel go bad on the factory amplifier, but if the speakers have been blown for an extended period of time, it's possible that the continued stress being placed on the amplifier has sent it to an early grave.
    Jason Seaver | Founding Partner | Product Engineer
    e: jws@bavsound.com
    Bavsound | Audio Solutions Engineered Specifically For Your BMW
    www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

My Cars
    ???
    sucks because the mids and tweets in the door are your company's

they worked fine one day, then were not on the next. I dont listen to the radio loudly and dont drive the car that much so I am confident I didn't blow them
    Last edited by dfoxengr; 05-27-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    I would test the individual speakers to ensure that they aren't blown. We've only had a handful of suspect midranges over the past 5 years, and the tweeters should be even more difficult to damage.

Try my suggestions on the first post, and then test each speaker's impedance. The tweeters should be around 4 ohms if your car is an HK system, and 8 ohms if it's not. The mids should read around 3-4 ohms in an HK car, and 8 ohms if it's not.

If all reads well, the amp has likely kicked the bucket...

My Cars
    ???
    will post up results shortly.

My Cars
    ???
    added information to first post

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    PM Sent.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Reviving the thread since I have the exact same issues. The speakers on the door panels are also BSWs and they all stopped working while the ones in the kicker panel and the rear speakers are still working.

What was the cause of your speakers stopped working?

Thanks!

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe + others ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by fhsu View Post
    The speakers on the door panels are also BSWs and they all stopped working while the ones in the kicker panel and the rear speakers are still working.
    I have had the same experience. The solution was to replace ALL the speakers, rather than just some of them.

The HK speakers have a matched impedance. Aftermarket speakers have a different impedance. The resulting volume difference is huge, due in large part to the amplifier's design.

You most likely need to replace the remaining HK speakers with BSW units. (Or replace the BSW speakers with the original HK units.) At that point everything with match electrically, with proper speaker levels.

You can verify this by disconnecting the BSW speakers. It is likely that you will find that the HK speakers are actually working, just at a much lower volume.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    @hlmii, thanks for the help. I actually do have BSW speakers all around already, and the setup was working for me for the past 5 years.

So the culprit is actually the amp! I swapped to a spare non-HK amp and the front speakers are working again. Something still seems a bit off compare to when the speakers where working with the HK amp though. Almost seems like the bass is weak. I guess I’ll pick up a HK amp off eBay when I get a chance.

Thanks!

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe + others ;-)
    You are welcome,
    and agree that the amplifier is almost certainly the culprit (now I know of the speakers!).

Weak bass?
    - Check phase? You're sure ALL + and - wiring is correctly connected?
    - All speaker units working properly?
    - Expectations? The system is never going to kick a$$. Ha.
    - Finally .... the HK amplifier may have the various channels equalized and /or crossed over. Even though I have an E36 with the HK setup, I don't know the details of the amplifier. I DO know that each amplifier channel in the E46 amplifier is specifically tailored to the speaker it will be driving. If the E36 amplifier is like that then a Non-HK amplifier would sound different.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fhsu View Post
    @hlmii, thanks for the help. I actually do have BSW speakers all around already, and the setup was working for me for the past 5 years.
    Thanks!