Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Mileage E46 M3s

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16

High Mileage E46 M3s

Lets hear from the E46 M3 owners with significant (100k and beyond!) miles on the car's odometer.

Besides tires, oil and gas, have you had any significant maintenance issues?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    No one has over a 100k on their odometer?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    See sig
    not on my m3...both my e24s do.
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    Read a thread over on m3forum about a guy with a 180k E46 M3. He said other than regular maintenance (oil changes etc...) he hasn't done much and the car is runnin fine.

My Cars
    '03 M3 6MT / '06 X5 3.0i
    Im up to 108k miles.

Ive owned the car since 62k.

Aside from oil changes, etc. I've done:

brake rotors
    brake pads
    tires
    alternator ($140)
    flex disc ($90)
    rtabs + shims ($100)
    rogue tranny mounts ($60)

and shocks/springs, but those were more of a mod.

never broken down, never had any issues. ive also obviously done fluid flushes and changes (tranny, diff, coolant, etc)

EDIT: other problems include the upholstery on the pillars peeling a little bit (adhesive is losing its stickiness) and i had to replace a few clips behind the interior trim, thats it.

My Cars
    See sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace M3 View Post

EDIT: other problems include the upholstery on the pillars peeling a little bit (adhesive is losing its stickiness)
    I've had to do this on both sides. I think its more of a function of age than mileage. Gorilla clue and a couple of clamps, and you're good to go!
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    what car?
    Quote Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
    I've had to do this on both sides. I think its more of a function of age than mileage. Gorilla clue and a couple of clamps, and you're good to go!
    same, but I just bought the pillars from BMW of Honolulu (a-pillars to be exact). Need to change out my driver side c-pillar soon but i'm going to wait until I really need to do it as I bet it's more expensive than the A pillar.

mines is almost at 75k and I've had the car for a month now. I had to do the water pump and the pillars. that's it.

but the water pump was $500 shipped... ima do the power pullies next and maybe a low temp thermostat...the rest were mods to the car
    TeeHee

My Cars
    German
    none of you have done control arm bushings? seems like they usually don't last over 50k

My Cars
    See sig
    i just rolled over 50k, and the car still feels tight, but I am probably getting close to that point.
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    e92 M3, e70 X5
    Since many aren't chiming in, I'll do so (94k close enough?).

I've owned since 72k, and have done the following:

Full inspection II: 1350
    Replaced a leaking Oil Pressure release valve: 60
    new battery: 120
    new blower motor: 150

Other than that, just new tires.......... car runs great, and all suspension pieces have checked out to be in good condition.
    -Bryan

My Cars
    See sig
    what was the story with the blower motor? mine is starting to squeak a bit, and i havent attacked it yet. i do have a bentley, though, which i can consult.
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    2002 E46 M3 Conv SMG
    101k here, but I purchased the car with 95k. I have done plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and oil change as far as maintenance. Things that have broken or needed repair are emissions reall for CEL. That's about it for me and it runs great.
    2002 E46 M3 Conv SMG - M for life!

My Cars
    e92 M3, e70 X5
    what was the story with the blower motor? mine is starting to squeak a bit, and i havent attacked it yet. i do have a bentley, though, which i can consult.
    It was actually a symptom of a larger problem that might have been missed. I had been having problems with the car having "electrical hiccups", and it turns out that I had an undersized battery....and that, coupled with a blower motor that was on the outs (blower moving a bit on its own, failing some, etc) was causing the HIDs to dim in and out, and causing the car to actually stall some....not good.

New blower motor + new battery = problem solved.
    Last edited by BKarktic328i; 06-01-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    -Bryan

My Cars
    M3
    I think it also has to do with living in a hot climate

My Cars
    E46 M3 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BKarktic328i View Post
    It was actually a symptom of a larger problem that might have been missed. I had been having problems with the car having "electrical hiccups", and it turns out that I had an undersized battery....
    Were you using the CSL/mini cooper battery?

My Cars
    See sig
    Quote Originally Posted by FatJohn325 View Post
    I think it also has to do with living in a hot climate
    eh, its not that hot up here. maybe 85 or so in the summer. could the the sun, though. the car sits outside (sorry...M635 gets the garage), and as the sunblock people say, we are 7000' closer to the sun...
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    202k '01 S54 M Roadster here. Highest mileage S54 that I know of.

Routine maintenance keeps repair costs down. Only major components that wouldn't classified under "maintenance" that needed replacement is 2 MAFs, an ABS sensor, and a few other minor things. The S54 is a very reliable motor if treated well.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    mine is right under 90K miles, i have had her since low 70k mark. Just did full fluid over hall in april, drove from the pacific to the atlantic (cali to md to be more specific) and then double back to omaha. Car was solid the whole time, just think i need an alignment and such again, but a problem has seem to come out that im asking for help now

i dont know if im slightly burning or leaking oil now. the oil light warning came on about a day or two when i pulled into omaha. thought it was because i did a whole bunch of driving in a short amount of time and thought nothing of it. i did the oil change and what not and i seem to be gettin low on oil again.... any thoughts??? im hoping for dumb leak some where and not burning.

My Cars
    See sig
    obvious question...any spots? cpv is pretty common, it seems, but most who ahve had that issue have seen spots.

how much is it using? below a certain amount is ok, annoying, but still ok.
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    2002 M3
    i had it to the top line of the dip stick and in about a month and change im half way between the lines.... not much but i was worried it was a prob and i just caught it early

My Cars
    e92 M3, e70 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by OxfordM3 View Post
    Were you using the CSL/mini cooper battery?
    No, just an Interstate replacement. Indy shop caught it, and it fixed the problem immediately (that and the blower motor getting replaced).
    -Bryan

My Cars
    02 E46 M3, 87 E30 325is
    I have 95k on mine

Other then the normal stuff

I have had the berring recall done (covered)
    had an ignation coil die on me (covered)
    some switch in the AC died ($300)

and its in the shop now for a EPAP LDP issue that I couldnt figure out

I do need to do bushings RTABs and LCAs

My Cars
    02 E46 M3, 87 E30 325is
    EVAP LDP issue was caused by 2 bad coils. The car now has 6 new ones on it. All covered by BMW NA :D

My Cars
    E46M3 Blk/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Lets hear from the E46 M3 owners with significant (100k and beyond!) miles on the car's odometer.

Besides tires, oil and gas, have you had any significant maintenance issues?
    Almost there, 94k...

Conrods engine 1
    VANOS explode engine 2
    engine 3 seems fine so far, it has about 41k on it now.

coils, throttle potentiometers, final stage (we all get that one). Lots of tires and lots spent on preventative maintenance and maintenance. I don't count plugs, brakes, fluids, or bushings as anything more than std stuff, but all thats up to date on my car. Oh my PS is leaking, but whose doesn't?

I have a very thick stack of receipts/records. My last 30k miles. Floss was all I had handy for reference.

Elective wear things I have done are: New A and C pillars, backrest, rear side cards, sunglass and center console. My car is almost 10 years old now and people are suprised its together so well. 'This is nice' they say when they sit in it. It needs new paint though on the front end. Jet Black gets pretty speckled after so many miles.

Aside from the exploding engine and VVT ruining the 2nd engine, its been ok.

In summary, it makes a really awesome Flintstones mobile, but not a very good ICE powered vehicle.
    Last edited by Brilliant; 06-23-2010 at 03:25 AM.

My Cars
    03 M3 SMG green/cinnamon

Red face 87k

I bought the car with 80K miles on it and only choose the vehicle because it was impeccably maintained and a company car. The only issue I have had so far was the lining at the door seal came off and I had to use epoxy to get it back on...no problems since. As far as I can tell, as a daily driver it is rock solid as long as the periodic maintenance is followed.

That said, however, I am going to be looking for a low mileage E92 soon just to make sure that I don't get hit with a bunch of gremlins with the E46 after it rolls over 100k mi.

Spike :pirate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast