Harrison Motorsports

Thread: Leaking oil pan gasket, costs to replace, difficult DIY?

My Cars
    85 e30 98 M3/4 00 528iT

Leaking oil pan gasket, costs to replace, difficult DIY?

I believe my oil pan gasket is now leaking from the rear of the pan. It is worst when I am parked on sloping downward hill and it leaks a lot. There is also oil all over the bottom of the motor, transmission etc. I was wondering how much it typically costs to replace at a reputable shop. Also if it is difficult job to DIY.

Maybe someone can come help me for some $$ and some beer? I would like to get it done in one day and the only real time is on the weekends unfortunately because I work full time during the week.

Thanks for any incite or advice you may have.

-Thomas

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I've never done one before, but I am pretty sure you have to drop the front subframe to do this job. I'd say that one day is pretty ambitious. Good luck!

My Cars
    85 e30 98 M3/4 00 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by espguitarist View Post
    I've never done one before, but I am pretty sure you have to drop the front subframe to do this job. I'd say that one day is pretty ambitious. Good luck!

Well I suppose I could spread it out over 2 days, I see conflicting DIY's on the internetz about how to do it. Some say remove a lot of suspension pieces, some say not to etc. Thanks I don't think I'll be able to do it, I may lack the patience for this particular job.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Not a fun job at all. You need it done bad/cheap PM me...
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

airjose is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    2000 528I, 1999 MB SLK
    Hi:
    Are you sure that is coming from the rear oil seal? Mine looked exactly as one but after a BMW technician told me to be careful as it starts as a drop then more drops and is coming from the CCV hoses area. I bought the upgraded newer rear seal and metal backing which I still have new to find out is was leaking from the dipstick lower hose and other small hoses in the CCV area. After replacing them by a BMW tech, no more leaks. BMW techs have told me that the rear seal will last a long time with mileage in excess of 200k.
    Last edited by airjose; 05-22-2010 at 12:24 PM.

My Cars
    85 e30 98 M3/4 00 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by airjose View Post
    Hi:
    Are you sure that is coming from the rear oil seal? Mine looked exactly as one but after a BMW technician told me to be careful as it starts as a drop then more drops and is coming from the CCV hoses area. I bought the upgraded newer rear seal and metal backing which I still have new to find out is was leaking from the dipstick lower hose and other small hoses in the CCV area. After replacing them by a BMW tech, no more leaks. BMW techs have told me that the rear seal will last a long time with mileage in excess of 200k.
    Thanks for the heads up!, I replaced the CCV last year and replaced the lower hose with a non-oem piece. It is possible that that particular hose (which seems to be thinner) then the OEM piece I have in my closet is torn. I will have to inspect this for sure, hopefully it is something that simple! BTW My car has 241k on it. Which hoses in particular were leaking if you can recall?

airjose is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    2000 528I, 1999 MB SLK
    Sorry for not answering sooner,Go to realoem, group 11-15,11-30,11-45. First my leak, I was sure was a main real seal but it was not. First all those hoses in the CCV & oil separator are thin plastic. With the constant heat they become brittle and crack. Make sure you replace them all every 8-10 years. the oil gasket of the oil filter where the unit meets the block needs replacement after 150k, part no.11421719855. The rear hose to the dipstick cracks also and it creates a good leak. it wil not flow to the front, it goes back and comes out near the rear seal and that was what confused me. These Germans make things hard sometime and this is one of them. Get someone to help you. It is a bear to replace them all. The throttle body has to be taken out and the hoses have to be routed around.
    After they are done the car will run smoother. And will not throw codes as before.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck, Jose

My Cars
    85 e30 98 M3/4 00 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by airjose View Post
    Sorry for not answering sooner,Go to realoem, group 11-15,11-30,11-45. First my leak, I was sure was a main real seal but it was not. First all those hoses in the CCV & oil separator are thin plastic. With the constant heat they become brittle and crack. Make sure you replace them all every 8-10 years. the oil gasket of the oil filter where the unit meets the block needs replacement after 150k, part no.11421719855. The rear hose to the dipstick cracks also and it creates a good leak. it wil not flow to the front, it goes back and comes out near the rear seal and that was what confused me. These Germans make things hard sometime and this is one of them. Get someone to help you. It is a bear to replace them all. The throttle body has to be taken out and the hoses have to be routed around.
    After they are done the car will run smoother. And will not throw codes as before.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck, Jose
    Thanks, I'll have to keep all those particular parts in mind. The gasket between the oil filter housing and the block has been leaking for a long time now but not anything substantial at all to warrant changing / downtime quite yet. It turns out the oil leak was indeed from the lower CCV hose, I had replaced it with a non-oem heater hose but that hose expanded from the hose and was just leaking like crazy. I replaced it with a fuel line hose until the OEM hose comes in the mail. I literally gave the hose a slight tug to see if it was still tight and it literally fell off .

My Cars
    BMWs
    You can replace the oil filter housing gasket during an oil change. It's nothing to get it out. A few bolts and the vanos line.