Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WRECKED my M3 at the track/Vid/Pics

My Cars
    07 VW GTI Sold-98 ///M3; 96 328is; 00 Land Rover

Angry WRECKED my M3 at the track/Vid/Pics

I was running an OT session at Hallett Motor Speedway when disaster struck. As I negotiated a tight series of turns, exactly as I had every lap for three previous 20min sessions, the rear gave out without warning shooting me into a tire wall and landing me on my side: . It came out of nowhere and felt like something broke, or I hit oil…?? I reviewed the previous laps, of both me and a very experienced friend who took some laps in my car, and we both drove the section exactly the same or harder in the sessions before the wreck.

Here is the in car…….Warning, there is some foul language, but what do you expect? (I think you need to view in Windows Media Player with DivX Codec 5.1 to see it all)

Crash Vid

The rest of the Pics
    http://nevr2qk.carlc.com/events/0311...fter/index.htm[
    BMW CCA, PCA, Audi, Apex Instructor
    07 VW GTI Fahrenheit #979.
    03 325i
    98 ///M3-
    96 328is-

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Oh Shit! Sorry to hear about your car dude! That *SUCKS*!

My Cars
    BMW Z3 Supercharged
    Sorry to hear this. When you say it landed on the side, it actually tipped into the air? Since the event wasn't timed, any clue if insurance will cover it?

My Cars
    E36, E39, E46, E90
    OUCH! You weren't kidding when you said it just slipped away; that was a really fast slide even though you weren't pushing it too hard.

My Cars
    '00 m5, '90 325i
    Shit I don't see how that happened. Looks like the damage was mostly cosmetic though? No engine or tranny dmg. That really sucks though man. I feel for you.

-Aurash
    -Aurash

My Cars
    05 M3, 01 Z3M, Jeep ZJ
    <jaw drops!> oh my GOD! I'm glad your okay

is the car going to survive?

Current:
    2001 S54 M-Coupe
    2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S
    94 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L/242 TC (Daily)

Past:

95 325i Convertible/Boston Green
    01 330Ci Convertible/Steel Grey/Stick
    05 Infiniti G35 Premium/Tech

My Cars
    Turbo

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Oh man sorry to hear that. Looks like you re in for some big repair bills

My Cars
    M3 3.2, 328i
    Oh

Looks like your rtabs are wors, i had the same thing, do not know why, just drove slower (about 100miles instead 105) thru the corner and lose the rear.

bill was for only the rear (no susp) 6000$

but the best > you are ok, and this is the importenst !!

m3balance
    M3balance

Euro M3 3.2 E36 316HP,
    MF Camberplate, GC hybrid Camberplates, GC RSM, Powerflex RTAB, LCA, Subframe
    Big Porsche Brake, Gr. N ABS 1.3g, 1.5g, X-Brace ect,
    GC co's with 450/525/550/600/650/700
    Sways ACS 26mm, 24mm, 21.5mm, 20mm, 19mm
    short diff gear 3.73

My Cars
    '01 Formula Firehawk '97 Byzanz M3/4/5
    Can you say new paintjob!

Another round of clay and Zaino will be on me. Hope you get some good news from the adjusters.

2001 Pewter Formula Firehawk Hard-Top (1 of 3 for 2001)
    Need to update the website!

1997 Byzanz M3/4/5 "Penny"
    First pic @ her new home 04-22-07, more to come

May 2008 after 5% tint and Zaino Detail

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Are you going to try and claim this on your insurance? I'll be interested to hear what they say.

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    looks like something broke in the driver's rear.
    Possibly a trailing arm?

Going to need a lot of suspension work. Hopefully no hard points have been damaged.
    m.

My Cars
    99 M3 etc...
    Sorry to hear about that. I was at Hallett on Sunday. I guess the M3 havent had a very good track record at Hallett recently. Made me kind of nervous to drive mine.

Another E36 M3 hit a part of the curbing wrong on sunday and blew apart his two left side wheels. The strangest thing Ive seen. Both left wheels were broken in half all the around the wheel
    06 X5 4.8is
    99 M3
    87 #184 325i chumpcar
    96 318ti Sold
    95 318ti Sold
    88 Starion
    68 Austin Healey - SCCA GP #84

My Cars
    SOOPA FAZ AWTOW
    Shaft about your car, but why were you jerking the wheel around like that, before it started to spin? That really unsettles the car, which caused you to lose control when you jammed the gas, after the shift.
    - 98 Titanium Silver M3 Coupe

My Cars
    07 VW GTI Sold-98 ///M3; 96 328is; 00 Land Rover
    but why were you jerking the wheel around like that, before it started to spin?
    That is bump steer when the front came off the burm. Insurance has already agreed to pay for the damages, but no word of if It's totaled yet
    BMW CCA, PCA, Audi, Apex Instructor
    07 VW GTI Fahrenheit #979.
    03 325i
    98 ///M3-
    96 328is-

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    Damn I just saw the pictures and video on Corner-Carvers . Glad you are OK and that the insurance company is stepping up.

Take care!
    John.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    im glad to hear you're ok, but your M looks in pretty bad shape. Hopefully theres no frame damange, unless you're hoping its totalled that is
    Cosmos Black 96 M3 Lux - 70,000 miles put on by me
    04 645 - 16,000 miles put on by me, lease expired
    04 S4 convertible - 8,000 miles driven, lease expired
    next...
    xbrace, intake, zkw with dde, uuc tranny mounts

Hardwired V1, highly recomended

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Wow, that's awesome that the insurance co is taking care of it!!
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    1996 M3
    wow i just watched the video.....damn, i think my first reaction would be tears, but i feel your pain. The back did come around really fast, did you clip the inside of the turn? It also sounded like you shifted there, but that might have been you just putting the clutch in when you started spinning i dunno.
    Cosmos Black 96 M3 Lux - 70,000 miles put on by me
    04 645 - 16,000 miles put on by me, lease expired
    04 S4 convertible - 8,000 miles driven, lease expired
    next...
    xbrace, intake, zkw with dde, uuc tranny mounts

Hardwired V1, highly recomended

My Cars
    Volkl Gotama
    Damn man, that is really a bummer. Have you found out if something broke yet? It sure seems like it watching the vid, but it's hard to get an idea of what kind of speed and cornering forces you were carrying.
    That seems like a fairly gradual right-hander that did it, is it more severe than it looks?
    no

Sorry about your misfortune, however this was completely avoidable. Ingnore the begining of the clip where the wheel is being thrown around and consider the right hander. Taken properly, the car should be very stable through there because power stabelizes the rear of the car in corners like that because of rearward weight transfer. It's difficult to see exactly how much of the curb you take in the right hander, but the combination of curb and shifting is what upset the car. Shifting causes a break in acceleration which moves the weight to the front-lift of oversteer. It appears that the curb also cause the car to become upset. That said, I still think that it would have been possible to save. The reaction to the oversteer is very slow, like you were drunk or something (not an insult, just the best analogy). I believe that with proper corrective steering and throttle to plant the back end, this could have been saved. Just chalk it up to experience and be glad no one was hurt.

Skip barbers car control clinic is good stuff

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Sorry about the car.

The video isn't that good of an indicator of what's going on, and I wasn't there, so I'll just offer a quick little blurb while sipping on my Big K Kooler(Contains less than 1% Fruit Juice!).

I appears you clipped the gator a little more than necessary given your speed. If the inside corner of the car isn't unweighted in a hard turn, clipping a gator will really push the car up and out. This, combined with your application of power while shifting seemed like it was too much for the rear tires. I'm thinking it has to be influenced by the gator you hit just before the spin, as that was way too violent of a spin given your lateral G's at the time to be caused from a weight transfer or power-on oversteer issue.

If you watch the video, your rear end suddenly looses traction right as you shift while hitting the gator. Just asking too many things of the rear tires at once.

It is easy to sit here and analyze what is going wrong with the situation AFTER the fact, but an entirely different one to be in the driver's seat while it's happening. As for saying the original poster had the reaction time of a drunk... I don't know about that. I'm sure a spin of that magnitude would surprise most people given how little he was really cornering at the time.

Sometimes freaky stuff just happens on the track. When you are using up a sizable portion of the total traction your tires can provide, the "funny bounce" of the proverbial baseball can have potentially drastic consequences.

Hope things go well for you with the ins. company and the damage isn't too severe(looks like it hit hard though. ).

My Cars
    cars
    Does anyone else here the engine right as he shifts...sounds like it hits the limiter, do you recall mishifting at all? Because if that happened, it might just be as simple as you lifted in the turn.

And to comment on the Skip barber car control clinic... this is exactly what its used for. Because they way they teach you to get contorl of the car is in several ways, one in which you just let off the gas, and as we all know you never let off mid turn.

Sorry to hear about the car, glad everyone was ok.

Was that na instructor in the car with you?

What insurance company took care of the damages, thats pretty rare a company would do that, but ya never know if it was claimed as drivers education and untimed, its happens.

My Cars
    325i M-Tech, 525i
    Oh man, sorry to hear that. Was a sexy, sexy car!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast