Thread: how difficult to replace valve cover gasket?

My Cars
    03 BMW 325i

how difficult to replace valve cover gasket?

I was wondering if you knew how difficult it is to replace a valve cover gasket? I have a 01/2003 325i M54. In addition, is there any special tools I need or tools that can make it easier?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Not......2 outta 10 in my book.

Pretty good procedure here for parts and steps...

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    Last edited by danewilson77; 05-18-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    92' 525i 00' 323ci
    It is extremely easy to do valve cover gaskets. The only hard part is simply taking the valve cover off, as it generally is sealed very tight and knowing the age, the gaskets are probably brittle and need to be peeled out of the valve cover.
    As far as special tools, check out a DIY, but it shouldnt be anything more than the tools you have lying around your garage. One point of reference tho, depending on how long ago this job was done, the valve cover is a royal pain in the ass to take off and you either need to shake it off by hand and break the seal, or use a flathead screwdriver and simply pry it off in sections until the whole cover comes loose.
    The job is somewhat time consuming, but if you know what your doing, youl save a ton of cash. My dad and I did this exact job on his 2001 740il, and although it took a day or 2, it saved him probably at least $1000 in labor.
    Its easy, and the only way you get confidence to push further and do more jobs on the car is to just do them.
    Speeding is legal only if speeding isn't legal.

My Cars
    2000 328i, 65 Stang
    Check out the Beisan systems procedures http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    This is a really good DIY, which also covers the vanos system that you should consider looking into doing if you are going to replace the valve cover gasket.
    The valve cover is a very doable job for a competent weekend mechanic.
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket!

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Scope out those cam lobes while you're in there....take pics.....post...have fun.

My Cars
    03 BMW 325i
    thanks guys. im more confident now.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    The only "hard" part is that there are 15 valve cover nuts, and it gets tedious removing all of 'em. I don't think you even have to remove the fan if you're not taking the VANOS off the front, not absolutely certain on this though.

Be careful not to over-tighten anything when you're putting it back together, the valve cover nuts only go a certain distance and then stop, and if you try to torque 'em down more than that, you'll break something (ask how I know).

My Cars
    92' 525i 00' 323ci
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    The only "hard" part is that there are 15 valve cover nuts, and it gets tedious removing all of 'em. I don't think you even have to remove the fan if you're not taking the VANOS off the front, not absolutely certain on this though.

Be careful not to over-tighten anything when you're putting it back together, the valve cover nuts only go a certain distance and then stop, and if you try to torque 'em down more than that, you'll break something (ask how I know).

So, how do you know? hahahaha
    Speeding is legal only if speeding isn't legal.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    just bought the vanos repair and gonna run by the stealership and grab a VCG... maybe i can get to it this weekend??

I also have to do my brakes, they are sitting in my garage and I need to take care of them.

nevermind, i lied, just called bmw and they want 108 for the VCG and the nut seals!!!
    Last edited by centdukesfan; 05-19-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by Neasy 92 525i View Post
    So, how do you know? hahahaha
    'cause I broke one, that's how I know

Had my big clicker-style torque wrench set as low as it would go, and it just kept turning and turning and never clicking, until *snap* the valve cover stud broke off.

Temporarily repaired it with a metric bolt and washer. Took a couple of tries to get the correct replacement stud from the dealership. It's all fixed now.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    also, should i be replacing the headbolt set?

My Cars
    01 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by centdukesfan View Post
    not generally necessary, just replace the bolt grommets.

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by centdukesfan View Post

No, definitely not.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    im pumped to do this job!

My Cars
    03 BMW 325i
    thanks guys.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    I love the M54 valve cover. Its probably one of the easiest valve covers to do in the BMW family. The N52 and N52k valve covers require a lot more attention. The valve cover itself is made of a magnesium blend, and the bolts are all aluminum. Bolts must be replaced and torqued by angle. Not to mention the fuel rail has to be removed a long with the top portion of the cowl, and a few wire harnesses.
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP
    Very manageable job! I did this and the vanos seals at the same time. Quite time consuming(vanos seals)..but not difficult by any means

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post

Fan pull not required for just VCG..........

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci/6Spd
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Not......2 outta 10 in my book.

Pretty good procedure here for parts and steps...

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

this is about right.... but danes book might be a lot bigger and more difficult to read than say for example, my book....

in my book it's probably a 4.... if you've seen it done before or have done it before, its about a 1-2....

not that tough, just remove, replace, remember how to put it all back together....

try to find yourself a youtube video... read through many sets of directions like the one above. the more prepared you are, the easier it will be...

good luh.

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Fan pull not required for just VCG..........
    Thanks for the confirmation.

My Cars
    99 M3 vert w/man,01 F350
    Might as well throw in a new set of plugs while you are in there. NGK is very good replacement. Try not to drop any tools or nuts/bolts/washers down the engine compartment. It's a PITA to get them out of there; sometimes you have to remove the lower bumper covers and wheel liner depending on where they fall. It took 4 hours for my 16 year son and I to do it. I had done it on my E36 and it was extremely similar but this was a lesson I was teaching my boy on how to DIY and he did most of the work although he had never turned a wrench before.
    1999 M3 vert, Rogue SSK, Conforti intake, SS replica catback, UUC adj rear control arms, Eibach springs, Konis, Beyern rims, cross-drilled Zimmermans w/Akebono Euro ceramic pads, ASC delete, Bosch Euro lamps, ZKW Euro foglamps

My Cars
    328ci, 07 mustang gt
    Easy job, just dont rush it. systematically tighten the bolts. dont bury one with all others loose. little at a time. 4-12 beers depending on the weather and well all get thru this. i suggest a magnetic dish for the bolts, nuts and whatever else you take apart. watching you tube for a couple laps is very useful. good luck, were all counting on you

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerste85 View Post
    I was wondering if you knew how difficult it is to replace a valve cover gasket? I have a 01/2003 325i M54. In addition, is there any special tools I need or tools that can make it easier?
    I think this is a good video which shows you from start to end how to replace a valve cover gasket. Very straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0fHVKk5bE