Thread: Passenger side front window won't go up on "auto"

My Cars
    1999 540iT 1985 535

Passenger side front window won't go up on "auto"

Why are these problems always totally weird?

A few days ago, the passenger side front window lift mechanism stopped responding to the 2 stage switch, that allows the window to be raised incrementally, or automatically.

It goes down properly, just not up. And, it's the same result whether using the switch on the driver's door, or the switch on the passenger side door.

I can make the window close, only by holding the switch down until it is fully closed. The automatic lift feature no longer works with a single touch on the switch.

It works fine on all the other windows, just not on the front passenger window. And it works fine when I lower the front passenger window.

I said it was weird. Any thoughts?

bump
    Last edited by mrwheels; 05-18-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Jerry aka mrwheels

1999 540iT Touring
    1985 535i Sedan (250,000 miles)
    1999 Mercedes E320 Estate

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Have you done any work on that door in the past recent weeks? Like remove the door panel to fix a leaking vapor barrier or replace a window regulator? There is a pinch sensor that is incorporated into the door's trim panel (that get's plugged in down near the speaker next to the side view mirror). If any work has been done on the door, or that electrical connector isn't in place...the window can act inappropriately.

Try the reset procedure and see if it helps:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-18-2010 at 03:24 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Have you done any work on that door in the past recent weeks? Like remove the door panel to fix a leaking vapor barrier or replace a window regulator? There is a pinch sensor that is incorporated into the door's trim panel (that get's plugged in down near the speaker next to the side view mirror). If any work has been done on the door, or that electrical connector isn't in place...the window can act inappropriately.

From where do you take all this stuff Q????

Given that you're a living BMW encyclopedia, do you have a picture of that sensor? My window is acting strange and sometimes it doesn't want to go down, and it sounds as if that "pinch sensor" could be the reason.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I don't have an actual pic of that part (sorry)...but the part with the switch built into it is #3 (front door) & #4 (rear door) in the diagram below...the right front door part nbr is: 51 32 8 183 732

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    m52 powered
    man I thought it was 15 seconds and was getting furious at my moms car because they go down with one touch but you have to hold the button to roll them up.

My Cars
    99 528i
    please tell me if this fixs it. My passenger window has the same problem with my window. driver side just makes a noise like it wants to go some where but it doesnt haha

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5

Thanks man...

My Cars
    E39 moonlight silver
    Op, problem two might be connectors are switch on your front passenger door. The window switch and tweeter connectors are exactly the same and body shops and stereo shops plug them incorrectly all the time and will give you the problem with the one touch feature. Remove your Passenger door panel and make sure the tweeter is connected to the speaker module and not the window switch connector. This was my exact problem and I saw a post from gjvah and it solved the problem. Return with your results.

My Cars
    1999 540iT 1985 535

I'll try this, but no, have not had the door panel removed for anything ... possibly ever. However, the knob right below the A/C outlet has been pushed into the interior spaces of the door .... so we're not able to touch it (the knob that allows you to cut off air flow for the A/C).

I have no idea how or when that happened, but it's been 2 or 3 months, at least. The problem with the window no closing on automatic is brand new .. the past few days.
    Jerry aka mrwheels

1999 540iT Touring
    1985 535i Sedan (250,000 miles)
    1999 Mercedes E320 Estate

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    I have a picture of the pinch sensor. I took yesterday since I had to remove the door trim for the n-th time. It's basically just a cable with nothing but adhesive on one end. I have no idea how that works, but it may be useful for somebody. I have the picture at home so I will post it tonight.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    325 bimmer

same issue

body shop fixed window on front passenger side from break in. auto down works, but not up.

tried the reset , but no joy.

possibly the switch disconnected?

if the down works , but not up, still the disconnected switch?

thanks again.

My Cars
    E39 moonlight silver

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    yup i had my plugs reversed and caused this... if you take a look they are the same type... and can be mixed up open the door cover and switch and bam all peachy...