Thread: e34 -> e21 ?

My Cars
    E21 323i

e34 -> e21 ?

Hey, recently purchased an e34 for the m20b25 to swap into my e21

Will be parting the car most likely unless i can find someone who's doing an engine conversion and wants a rolling body. Anyway question basically is what can be used in the e21 with or without modification. My main item would be the Headlights, will they fit with or without modification or not at all?

Secondly wondering about power windows, does anyone know whether the motors could be used in an e21 coz that'd be awesome!

Add whatever you find to be installable too

Thanks.

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    It'd be nice to have power windows just for the passenger side huh. leaning over to roll down window to talk to chicks is way uncool.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    1982 323i, 1997 318iS
    It's the Ultimate Driving Machine, not the Ultimate Poseurmobile!!!

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    If you anticipate talking to chicks, just roll the window down ahead of time. Or just pop your head out the sunroof.

Anything can be modified to fit anywhere, but the power window wiring on the E34 is very complicated. Trust me, you do not want to go there.

My Cars
    82 320i/4, 89 535i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed Y2K9 View Post
    Hey, recently purchased an e34 for the m20b25 to swap into my e21

Will be parting the car most likely unless i can find someone who's doing an engine conversion and wants a rolling body. Anyway question basically is what can be used in the e21 with or without modification. My main item would be the Headlights, will they fit with or without modification or not at all?

Secondly wondering about power windows, does anyone know whether the motors could be used in an e21 coz that'd be awesome!

Thanks.
    As an E34 owner...

Headlights.. check diy E30 ellipsoid swap..
    Power Windows... with $$$ its possible

I think thats about it
    E34 535i/5 (Dirty D)
    RIP E21 320i/4 (Hammerhead)

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    If you anticipate talking to chicks, just roll the window down ahead of time. Or just pop your head out the sunroof.

Anything can be modified to fit anywhere, but the power window wiring on the E34 is very complicated. Trust me, you do not want to go there.
    Ahh Layne, man I got no sunroof (very few had it in Aus part of it being a swedish model I think), its winter in Canberra which is bone chillingly cold and even if I had a sunroof, I'm way too short to be able to get up there. These recaros make me feel like I'm part of the floor (even with new strapping bands).

Also, power windows in a car that was never designed to support them sounds like a huge pain in the ass for something you can do with a winder, + it almost never breaks.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    1982 323i, 1997 318iS
    That's funny Hal, now that you mention it, I've never seen an E21 on the road with a sunroof. But almost every one I see in the wreckers has a sunroof.

My Cars
    M-Z3,535i, 320,Vette

Thanks.
    The power window motors wouldn't be that tough to wire. A couple relays and you're there. As Layne said you would not want to use BMW's module/wire to control it- basically two wires for the motor- reverse polarity for up and down. The tough part would getting them (motors) to fit in the door and that be a lot of fabbing.

You be better off buying an universal power window kit for a little over a $100.

Richard

My Cars
    E21 323i
    Alright cheers for the info guys. I think if im really desperate for power windows i'll looks into universal stuff. Anyway off to the FAQ thread i go to see about the ellipsoids thing.

My Cars
    81 318i..eurotrashed
    Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    Ahh Layne, man I got no sunroof (very few had it in Aus part of it being a swedish model I think), its winter in Canberra which is bone chillingly cold and even if I had a sunroof, I'm way too short to be able to get up there. These recaros make me feel like I'm part of the floor (even with new strapping bands).

Also, power windows in a car that was never designed to support them sounds like a huge pain in the ass for something you can do with a winder, + it almost never breaks.
    still remember when paul thought i was on crack wearing thongs, wifebeater and levi's at 7 o clock on a 5 degree morning haha.

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    Alright cheers for the info guys. I think if im really desperate for power windows i'll looks into universal stuff.
    Grass isn't all that much greener on this side.
    I"ve got power windows in my newer bmw. Both rr windows broke, and it costs $280 for a new motor and regulator on one side, cost $150 for a new regulator on the other side (cable snapped, motor AOK). Plus, after removing the vapor barrier shell to access the components, I also had to buy the 3m weatherguard butile sealant, at $18 per side. THat's ~$600 parts only DIY job. I'm not looking forward to replacing the front power windows should the time comes, b/c Iof the side door air bags, are way more difficult to DIY.

My Cars
    Bmw E21 318
    So does it fit the E34 M20 engine on E21 chassis?

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    05-10-2010, 05:45 am

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    I didn't think that you could put E34 headlights into an E21, at least not directly. My son has some extra E34 headlight assemblies that I was going to try to adapt, but they have some brackets cast into the plastic housing that I would have had to cut off and I did not feel like ruining his spare parts if it wasn't going to fit anyway. Maybe it's different for RoW (non-US-spec) E21s that H4s instead of sealed beams.

My Cars
    1983 E21 315
    Quote Originally Posted by Christos E21 View Post
    So does it fit the E34 M20 engine on E21 chassis?
    Yes the M20 engine will fit into the E21 as the 323i is a M20 engine..... You just need a front subframe and metal engine brackets from a 6-cyl E21(323i or 320/6).

As for the M50 it can be done with some metal engine mounts for this engine swap,there are available online, and some other bits here and there....

https://e28goodies.com/product/bmw-e...engine-mounts/