Thread: Glad I went to a dealer or $140 CAR wash

My Cars
    2007 328 coupe

Glad I went to a dealer or $140 CAR wash

So after asking about coilovers on this forum I listened to an advise from
    OxfordM3 and few others, and decided to get my rear sub-frame checked at a dealer under class-action. When i dropped the car off i decided to ask them to do a bumper to bumper inspection and let me know what, if anything i should be replacing. My service advisor said that it is going to cost me $140 and i figured it was a fair deal for an inspection, top off the oil and get my programming recall performed.
    I got a call with a total estimate being $6500. I asked to give me a breakdown and declined the service. Turned out that i need to change an engine oil gasket, differential gasket seals, they said clutch is hard may need to replace, but to look inside it would cost $1400 plus $720 if i need a clutch, etc .... Plus I am due for Valve adjustment
    To make a long story short without a clutch ( as it is not slipping, hence no need to replace it) i am going to spend total parts and labor 1400 (this includes valve adjustment)
    The good thing is i had no idea about some of the leaks i had and some of the suspension peaces that require attention. i shall upgrade those during my coilover install.
    P.S. they washed the car and if anyone has interest in hearing about the window squeaking solution (replacing some of the trim) they offered let me know, i may do it myself and post.
    Just thought id share...

My Cars
    See sig
    hmmm...i find this post interesting...a couple of things:

How much do you trust this dealer? They found leaks you didnt even know were there...

Due for a valve adjustment? Is your inspection light on? If not, you are not due for one.

We want to spend a bunch of your money just to check if we need to replace the clutch?????? I have never even heard that one. Until it slips, it's good! Now, if you were replacing the rear main seal (yet to hear about that being an issue on these cars), then by all means.

You posted in another thread how about replacing a peice of steering wheel trim...money is tight and 120$ is too much for the factory part.

GET AWAY FROM THIS DEALER!!! Let them do the recall and the subframe inspection. You are not obligated to give them any business. Find a good, honest, private shop, save yourself a bunch of $$, then buy that trim piece!
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    2004 JB/IR 6MT 19
    Do your wallet a favor and find a good indy mechanic in the area. Agree with above: You should know if you are due for an inspection and if my motor had leaks/seeping I would notice, you may not be as crazy as i am tho.

My Cars
    2007 328 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
    hmmm...i find this post interesting...a couple of things:

How much do you trust this dealer? They found leaks you didnt even know were there...

Due for a valve adjustment? Is your inspection light on? If not, you are not due for one.

We want to spend a bunch of your money just to check if we need to replace the clutch?????? I have never even heard that one. Until it slips, it's good! Now, if you were replacing the rear main seal (yet to hear about that being an issue on these cars), then by all means.

You posted in another thread how about replacing a peice of steering wheel trim...money is tight and 120$ is too much for the factory part.

GET AWAY FROM THIS DEALER!!! Let them do the recall and the subframe inspection. You are not obligated to give them any business. Find a good, honest, private shop, save yourself a bunch of $$, then buy that trim piece!
    I am not doing it at the dealer. I should have been more clear about the line " To make a long story short without a clutch ( as it is not slipping, hence no need to replace it) i am going to spend total parts and labor 1400 (this includes valve adjustment) "
    I have a great BMW mechanic which will cost me about 400 in labor plus parts and this will include coilover install. my valve adjustment is due in about 4000 miles and that will set me back 450 labor plus 2.50 for evry shim.
    I was just trying to share what a rip off BMW service is. Most of their estimate was labor at 140 an hour or a total of 5000

My Cars
    See sig
    great to hear!!
    2003 M5
    2007 X3 6MT

My Cars
    E46 M3 6MT
    But the subframe was fine? I'm wondering if they even throughly checked it out, based on the scam estimate they gave for the other "issues". I hope you didn't have any problems in getting your subframe checked for free though.

My Cars
    E46
    Stealerships =

My Cars
    2007 328 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by OxfordM3 View Post
    But the subframe was fine? I'm wondering if they even throughly checked it out, based on the scam estimate they gave for the other "issues". I hope you didn't have any problems in getting your subframe checked for free though.
    They say that they did check it. I may try another dealer though...

My Cars
    2004 M3
    I am going to have it checked again too. Can another dealer tell if you have already had it done??
    I KNOW WHAT GOOD IS

My Cars
    1992 Typhoon, use to have 1997 M3
    04power, I took m M to two dealerships (get the SMG update too, free) and they never asked if I had taken it else where. I might take it to a third dealer just because they are scamers and plus I get to drive one of their new loaners..lol
    Last edited by xctasy; 05-07-2010 at 05:54 PM.