Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: E30 325 in 4th place overall at One Lap of America!

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    Congrats to all who competed in the OLA. That in itself is a huge accomplishment, then comes finishing, then placing high overall. Congrats guys!

Now...who's in: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/utcc2010/
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by clopez95m3 View Post
    It takes exceptional drivers (or drives) to do really well in normal(ish) cars. I think Catesby (2nd overall this year) did very well in a 318ti with an S50 motor in it around '99 or so, 3rd overall I believe. Russ Wiles did very well in his stock E36 M3 LTW a few years after that, I forget where he placed but it was well above where a stock E36 anything should finish.

Carlos.

yes... the understanding I got though was that things have been changing at a rampant pace in the One Lap arena. Normalish cars aren't necessarily going to be competitive necessarily anymore from what I was gathering. There was a ZR-1 that was competing this year driven by a past overall winner. It wasn't near enough this year. I think a lot of how we did was Really due to Anthony and his skills behind the wheel and a lot of luck. I can assure you that next year the cars will be much more difficult to best. Brock was telling me that FWIW the cars' get about 3 sec a session(or was that per lap not sure) faster at every track every year. That is pretty telling there. So we can NOT be content with the package we have. Upgrades and changes are ALREADY in the works! We are planning on using this summer to test the upgrades as they come. The LAST thing I want to do is up the boost level for more power unless I absolutely have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Congrats to all who competed in the OLA. That in itself is a huge accomplishment, then comes finishing, then placing high overall. Congrats guys!

Now...who's in: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/utcc2010/

ugh! the classes are a tough setup on there! Yes, I am a professional builder... however barely compared to well funded and backed shops. I am just above a back yard diy'er! Second... FWIW my car is truly a street car/track car fully dual purpose. And honestly I intend to keep it that way. the trunk even has all of its' trimmings! The suspension is set up for street tire level of grip as well. So that may be a little too focused for my tastes (or this car possibly). We might be interested in running some street car time attack events in the near future though.

nice driving Neil!!!

victory laps (done on low boost)

Last edited by DTRguy; 05-11-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRguy View Post
    I
    It should be said that there were a LOT of well prepared and driven BMW's in this years One Lap... Two in particular were the 335i of Robin and Brian, and the awesome Z3mcoupe of Neil and Woody... Neil was very keen to point out that he beat us to quickest BMW (but saying fastest... to which I corrected him as we were 4 mph faster ) Nonetheless those two cars' and teams' were run flawelessley and looked good doing so! Congrats to them on their impressive finishes!
    Thanks for the kind words Kevin, but must say, as a former E30 325is owner, it really made me smile to see how close your car and Anthony's driving could be against those modern super cars with One Lap veterans (and a current Grand Am driver). Should I mention your slalom skills on an Oklahoma Interstate? It was fun traveling with you guys.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Kevin, but must say, as a former E30 325is owner, it really made me smile to see how close your car and Anthony's driving could be against those modern super cars with One Lap veterans (and a current Grand Am driver). Should I mention your slalom skills on an Oklahoma Interstate? It was fun traveling with you guys.

Ha ha ha! likewise! thanks Woody... Anthony made me do it! I could have gone all day at that speed in an out of those cones... He didn't know what he was getting himself into when he said "Do it!" funny watching him hold onto everything sliding around in the cabin!

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    E36M3,MZ3,E30,2002ti,MCS
    Edit: Nevermind, video embed doesn't work.
    Last edited by sab0276; 05-12-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    ProFormance Coaching - Performance driving and racing coach
    Like ProFormance Coaching on Facebook for updates
    MyTrackSchedule.com - Your key to more track events!
    Track Videos
    1996 BMW M3 Endurance Race Car
    1991 BMW 318is 24 Hours of LeMons car
    1974 BMW 2002tii (sold)
    2001 BMW M Roadster
    2007 Mini Cooper S (sold)

My Cars
    C-GAGL
    Awesome work! Beautiful car too, really well done!

My Cars
    '89 535-GTS,'10 535xit
    Congrats on your Big Dog finish. I ran the OLOA 3 times (2.1 times in my E34) back in 2000-2002. I just read thru your build thread and I'm envious of your success. I tried build my car up back in 2002 and ended up blowing up the engine on the first lap of the first event and I've been struggling for the last 8 years to make it reliable enough to run again. I can't believe you made it through that event without out any major problems. That's almost unheard of with modified cars. Extremely well done and I hope to see you out there at some point in the future.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, & 2020 One Lap of America Race Team Follow Redfive Racing on Facebook
    1989 535GTS-S5S, 2010 535xit M sport wagon

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Thanks, Red
    From what I understand of the build, there wasn't much black magic involved. Just a solid formula and solid execution. You can PM Kevin if he can help you at all with your build. Looking forward to seeing you in '11
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    '89 535-GTS,'10 535xit
    In 2000 I ran the car almost stock and did fine.
    In 2001, I broke a rocker arm on a brand new engine.
    In 2002, I blew the engine due to a bad tune.
    Spent the next couple years building the car up. First time back to the track in 2006, I blew the head gasket.
    Following year the ECU burned out before I could get it to a track.
    Last year, I took it to the track and it overboosted and I cracked the ring lands on all 6 pistons. The car is almost ready to go back. Nothing left to be fabricated. Just wire the traction control, re-install the water injection and get it tuned.

It may not have been black magic, but you had some voodoo on your side. Over the years I have seen so many major issues develop on well built and stock cars from the rigors of the One Lap (brakes, engines, turbos, headgaskets, shocks, superchargers, windshields, radiators, transmissions, clutches, ECUs, etc). You did an incredible job avoiding all that and then finishing well on top of it. Its the hardest thing to do in One Lap.

I just hope we're not in the same class next year, Vintage Foriegn. We'll have the same power, you'll just be about 4-600lbs lighter. I just have a longer and wider track. I don't want to have to go thru the effort of dropping everything into a newer chassis just to get back into the Luxury car class. Even if my car would be 1000lbs lighter than the competition.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, & 2020 One Lap of America Race Team Follow Redfive Racing on Facebook

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    In 2000 I ran the car almost stock and did fine.
    In 2001, I broke a rocker arm on a brand new engine.
    In 2002, I blew the engine due to a bad tune.
    Spent the next couple years building the car up. First time back to the track in 2006, I blew the head gasket.
    Following year the ECU burned out before I could get it to a track.
    Last year, I took it to the track and it overboosted and I cracked the ring lands on all 6 pistons. The car is almost ready to go back. Nothing left to be fabricated. Just wire the traction control, re-install the water injection and get it tuned.

It may not have been black magic, but you had some voodoo on your side. Over the years I have seen so many major issues develop on well built and stock cars from the rigors of the One Lap (brakes, engines, turbos, headgaskets, shocks, superchargers, windshields, radiators, transmissions, clutches, ECUs, etc). You did an incredible job avoiding all that and then finishing well on top of it. Its the hardest thing to do in One Lap.

I just hope we're not in the same class next year, Vintage Foriegn. We'll have the same power, you'll just be about 4-600lbs lighter. I just have a longer and wider track. I don't want to have to go thru the effort of dropping everything into a newer chassis just to get back into the Luxury car class. Even if my car would be 1000lbs lighter than the competition.

Thanks Red! We had our concerns for sure. If you read the blogs you will hear about the Braking issue we had. We have found the correct pad compound now... and Ireland Engineering is developing a rear brake upgrade for this car to help balance braking duties. Next year I will have replenished all of the wear items on the car for the most part. I don't disagree I had a LOT of luck (not sure where it came from). I ran on the original rear wheel bearings that I got the car with (still in perfect condition) Stock radiator, Stock front fan, M50 head with 200+k miles on it, an engine that was literally pieced together from two different motors with the only new parts being the rod bolts! The suspension is cobbled together with the Bilstein sports that I got with the car on the front and off the shelf Koni bottom adj. shocks at the rear! The only NEW part in the drivetrain was the clutch (which had 1500 or so miles on it) and the carrier bearing. Prior to the event I had a motor mount on the drivers side separate, but new ones were installed and no hint of problems since.

Next year, I hope to have wider front rubber, testing heavier front coils on Mem day weekend, a shorter rear gear 3.25 down from 2.93... possibly a 6 speed from a euro e36, a newer clutch clutchmasters 850 series from my fx650, new firmware (testing soon) on the ECU with lots of cool items like in gear traction control, no lift shifting, 3d ignition plotting, more accurate alpha N control and more! I will be adding an aluminum radiator and better cooling fan for better cooling if I add power (just a touch). In addition to that, hoping to score some AST suspension, and a wavetrac differential and working on front aero for better top speed, stability and brake cooling. All of these combined should keep me competitive.

As far as classes go, I don't know if it matters if your car is older if you want to compete against the newer machinery. I think that the vintage foreign class can be very competitive, but we will probably want to stay in the class we are in unless told otherwise. I think our major focus is on the overall standings. At least it was this year.

The biggest issue we may come up agains is the weather. That is what saved us I believe this year. Not one wet track session to slow us down. We have never tested in the wet and I venture a guess that the AWD and lower HP front wheel drives will turn the tides if the weather isn't nice.

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Thanks Red! We had our concerns for sure. If you read the blogs you will hear about the Braking issue we had. We have found the correct pad compound now... and Ireland Engineering is developing a rear brake upgrade for this car to help balance braking duties. Next year I will have replenished all of the wear items on the car for the most part. I don't disagree I had a LOT of luck (not sure where it came from). I ran on the original rear wheel bearings that I got the car with (still in perfect condition) Stock radiator, Stock front fan, M50 head with 200+k miles on it, an engine that was literally pieced together from two different motors with the only new parts being the rod bolts! The suspension is cobbled together with the Bilstein sports that I got with the car on the front and off the shelf Koni bottom adj. shocks at the rear! The only NEW part in the drivetrain was the clutch (which had 1500 or so miles on it) and the carrier bearing. Prior to the event I had a motor mount on the drivers side separate, but new ones were installed and no hint of problems since.

Next year, I hope to have wider front rubber, testing heavier front coils on Mem day weekend, a shorter rear gear 3.25 down from 2.93... possibly a 6 speed from a euro e36, a newer clutch clutchmasters 850 series from my fx650, new firmware (testing soon) on the ECU with lots of cool items like in gear traction control, no lift shifting, 3d ignition plotting, more accurate alpha N control and more! I will be adding an aluminum radiator and better cooling fan for better cooling if I add power (just a touch). In addition to that, hoping to score some AST suspension, and a wavetrac differential and working on front aero for better top speed, stability and brake cooling. All of these combined should keep me competitive.

As far as classes go, I don't know if it matters if your car is older if you want to compete against the newer machinery. I think that the vintage foreign class can be very competitive, but we will probably want to stay in the class we are in unless told otherwise. I think our major focus is on the overall standings. At least it was this year.

The biggest issue we may come up agains is the weather. That is what saved us I believe this year. Not one wet track session to slow us down. We have never tested in the wet and I venture a guess that the AWD and lower HP front wheel drives will turn the tides if the weather isn't nice.
    All this just to beat me at the drag strip?

Neil
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    All this just to beat me at the drag strip?

Neil
    Ha ha we had to give you some hope

I might even have Anthony practice some drag racing so we KNOW we can beat your time next year 119mph pshaw... 125+ mid 11's

My Cars
    96 M3
    For rear brakes have you talked to Massive? I had their front/rear kit and it was extremely well made.

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Ireland has been a huge sponsor on this car and are custom making the kit for the car. We'll report back on how it works out.
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    '89 535-GTS,'10 535xit

I have to admit, I only read your bfc blog on both building the car and running the event. I wasn't aware of the brake problems, which I know can be frustrating. And despite being cobbled together and its age, the parts did very well for you. In my project, it seems to be the new parts that fail on the track. The old ones only fail after sitting for a while. So it must all be you're driving skill.

The list of stuff to do never ends does it? My list is short only because I was going to try and do the 2009 event but backed out and then aimed for the 2010 event. Now its the 2011 race I'm aiming for. I can only afford to do it one more time, so I'm going to make it as right as possible.

In 2001 we were second place in the Luxury Car class beating out M5s, S4s, and Mercs and we were closing in on the class leader. Pretty impressive considering the car only had 250hp from a built M30. We were closing in on the class leading S55AMG driven by Car and Driver's Tony Swan when the rocker arm broke, dropping us down to 5 cylinders. Despite that we ran one more event with 5 cylinders (injector unplugged) and finished 2 seconds behind the S55. The next two track had some seriously fast straights and there was no way a 5 cylinder car was going to keep up (previous track being a handling one), so I made the call to get the head rebuilt. Instead of the promised 1 day, it took two days. When it was fixed we had 20 hours to make it from Fort Worth, Texas to Watkins Glen, New York. 1500+ miles away. I got us there in 23 hours missing the first event and almost missing the second. They were so amazed we showed up they let us run. At the day's end we were tied for 3rd, despite missing 5 of the 15 events. At the award ceremony I got the "Never Say Die" trophy, but because we missed a checkpoint we were dropped to 4th. No trophy. So in the 3 years I've done it, I never got more than a bent Honda valve and that has bothered me. So basically, I really want a class win. Whether its Luxury Car class competing against V8s, V10s, V12s, etc or Vintage Foreign class were I can beat up on old P-cars, I just want a good sized trophy to show for all my hard work. Right now my car is old enough to fall in the Vintage Foreign class and there's a possibility that next year, yours will too.

Wet traction is also a big concern for me. I have tons of time on the track in the rain, but most of it was in FWD or AWD. With just 350/375rwhp/tq, i was spinning my tires in 5th in the rain at 3000rpm. That's why I'm implementing the DTAfast's traction control system. Its supposed to be very good.

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    All of the videos from the One Lap are posted here. I hit my 500mb limit, so I'll add the last few next week.

http://www.vimeo.com/album/135754
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    All the videos are now up!

http://www.vimeo.com/album/135754
    -Anthony Magagnoli

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    E36M3,MZ3,E30,2002ti,MCS
    If you're lazy and don't want to click through all them on Vimeo, you can check out the Video Rotator on the latest post on AnthonyMagagnoliRacing.com. He also has detailed writeups on each day of the event with pics and vids on his racing blog.

-Scott
    Last edited by sab0276; 05-26-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    ProFormance Coaching - Performance driving and racing coach
    Like ProFormance Coaching on Facebook for updates
    MyTrackSchedule.com - Your key to more track events!
    Track Videos
    1996 BMW M3 Endurance Race Car
    1991 BMW 318is 24 Hours of LeMons car
    1974 BMW 2002tii (sold)
    2001 BMW M Roadster
    2007 Mini Cooper S (sold)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234