Thread: Keep getting water in spark plug holes!

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons

Keep getting water in spark plug holes!

This is the 3rd time now and I have all of the necessary gaskets around the cowel and even the plastic covering over the coils. All I did was wash the car (not the engine bay) but somehow water still was able to get into cylinder 6 spark plug hole. Reason I know this is because the car was misfiring again. I need new coil boots badly, but water still shouldn't be getting in there. Anybody have any ideas how this is happening? I pulled the cowel off to look for drain holes but all I see is a big pocket and that obviously didn't overfill with water.

My Cars
    Pour water over windshield/cowl, watch where it goes.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Cover the hood gills near the base of the windshield with a chamois or mask it because it is directly above the #6 plug and most likely the cause of your frustration.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    make sure the ignition coils' wire's bushings (phew) are firmly seated against the valve cover before you put the coil pack cover on.

My Cars
    '12 Cayenne S Hybrid
    Early on, every time I washed the race car, I got the missing you are talking about... Pissed me off every time... I finally got smart and put a sheet of plastic over the rear of the motor when I washed it...
    2000 Oxford Green M5

My Cars
    E36 JP,E39it,e46,e30ix
    Do you have the coil cover on?(the valve cover's cover)
    Are you missing the seal at the front of the cowl?

If the rubber seal that runs along the front edge of the cowel is missing, water will get into the #6 hole. Doesnt usually happen with the coil cover on though.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    I have all gaskets coverings on the car. I also poured water down the cowel and it seemed to work as it should (all of the water ended up underneath the car) and I didn't see any water enter into cyl 6 plug hole. I guess ill just put something over the engine when I wash it.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    How in the world would a significant amount of water make it past the plastic coilpack cover? Doesn't that thing have a rubber gasket around it and the mounting holes to seal it up?

My Cars
    2001 325Ci, 1993 740iL
    This happens to my 740, also, but worse - happens on both sides! Yes, the coil covers have little rubber gaskets in place. It only seems to occur when I wash the car, and not when it rains. Frickin' mystery! I'm >this< close to sealing the coil covers on with RTV.

My Cars
    E36 IS #565, SpecE46
    What about through the windshield spray nozzle on the hood? I had the same problem on my track car, but at the time it had no nozzles in the hood and water would get right in.
    Cold Tires + Wall = Suck

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    I'm not familiar with the E36 but my mechanic had this posted on his web site. You might want to check the drain tube from the windshield area?

http://www.solelybimmer.com/ServicePages/e36.htm