Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Boosted 528's turbo E39 build thread

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i

Boosted 528's turbo E39 build thread

After many many months of frustrating issues with my car Iam finally posting up my build thread so the world can see. Before I load up this page with up to date pics , I wanna give a brief description of my set up as it stands.

1998 528i M52b28
    Modified ebay manifold (temporary)
    Turbonetics T66 turbo
    Custom motor mount Bracket
    Tial 44mm wastegate
    3.5 Aluminum exhaust
    Pwr 26x10x3 intercooler
    3'' Intercooler pipe
    Tial Q bov
    Custom fuel rail
    M50 intake manifold
    Aem Ems
    Aem twinfire ignition system
    Custom wiring harness Pnp
    Uuc oil center
    M50 oil filter housing

Things I need:
    Boost controller
    Mls
    Arp studs
    Wideband
    Clutch

Will post the rest of the pics later. Its taking way to long to upload.

Last edited by boosted 528; 04-24-2010 at 03:26 PM.

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    After many many months of frustrating issues with my car Iam finally posting up my build thread so the world can see. Before I load up this page with up to date pics , I wanna give a brief description of my set up as it stands.

1998 528i M52b28
    Modified ebay manifold (temporary)
    Turbonetics T66 turbo
    Custom motor mount Bracket
    Tial 44mm wastegate
    3.5 Aluminum exhaust
    Pwr 26x10x3 intercooler
    3'' Intercooler pipe
    Tial Q bov
    Custom fuel rail
    M50 intake manifold
    Aem Ems
    Aem twinfire ignition system
    Custom wiring harness Pnp
    Uuc oil center
    M50 oil filter housing

Things I need:
    Boost controller
    Mls
    Arp studs
    Wideband
    Clutch

Pics will be up in a min........My internet is running a little slow today
    I am running a Group Buy on the E Boost 2 Boost controller(http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1441159), also I can help assist you with build.

Sales@icsperformance.com
    Last edited by ICS Performance; 04-23-2010 at 05:43 PM.

My Cars
    M3
    Very cool, awaiting pics

My Cars
    e39 540iA, e39 528i
    i REALLY want to see this! Very cool, cant wait for the pics..

My Cars
    1998 528i-t, & Jap Stuff
    Good luck getting it finished up man. These cars are a lot of fun with more power.

Hopefully my clutch issue gets resolved soon and I can have my car running when you are here.
    13.239 @ 105.67 with .000 R/T and 1.93 - 60' - 2007 350z - SOLD
    Slow in turbo 528i thanks to a poor driver and lots of heat soak (I couldn't figure out how to drive a pucked clutch off the line to save my life).

LM7 swap in progress/paused pending garage remodel.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1660651

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Before I get into more details about what i've done to the car so far, I wanna start off by showing everybody why alot of the ebay manifold crack due to heat. You see in the lower pictures that the ebay flange is poorly ported.

So what I ended up doing is marking it

Then using a carbide burr to open it up.

Hopefully that helps out with the flow of the manifold and buys me more time before cracking.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    The manifold gaskets are a larger diameter than the actual ports on the head.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    BMWs
    ruh roh

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Is it possible that by grinding/porting the runners a bit
    that you've thinned the piping/welds,
    allowing the manifold to crack earlier?

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by milKT View Post
    Is it possible that by grinding/porting the runners a bit
    that you've thinned the piping/welds,
    allowing the manifold to crack earlier?

Not at all. The pipe is welded to the outside of the flange. I grinded away at the inside of the flange itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuasha View Post
    The manifold gaskets are a larger diameter than the actual ports on the head.
    That is correct, but the flange(as seen in the pic) is over extended. I compared it to my oem header and there was a Big differance.

Quote Originally Posted by ICS Performance View Post
    I am running a Group Buy on the E Boost 2 Boost controller(http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1441159), also I can help assist you with build.

Sales@icsperformance.com
    Thanks george for the heads up. I'll keep you posted if I need anything .

2 week ago I had started on my charge pipe. I tired using a 90* bend at the throttle body but the angle was alittle extreme so I didnt feel comfortable leaving it that way (cant really tell in this pic

So chris (So live) advised me to get a tight radius 90* bend. So I orded it.

Being that Iam putting a vband on the bend and my t-body, I had to cut and grind away.

Also last night I was able to finish my intercooler brackets.

Last edited by boosted 528; 04-24-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Ok I need some help guys. Iam trying to remove my fuel rail but im not sure how to disconnect the lines and the harness closet to the firewall. I already have everything else disconnected and ready to go .

My Cars
    BMWs
    Aren't they just push fittings?

dude be careful using a rigid coupler on your piping like that. What made you go with a v-band? Big turbo race cars will run solid piping because they have front plates and rigid engine mounts (read, no flex, none). But our cars are on rubber/urethane and that is going to vibrate a good amount. Hooked up to the composite intake, I'd be a little hesitant. Are you going to use more v-bands? I really wouldn't! (not on the intake). They have NO movement.

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Actually I do have another vband. One @ the intake manifold and another half way down the charge pipe. I was actually looking into the wiggins clamp since they allow a little flex, but It was out of my budget (atleast for now).

As far as the fuel line, yes it is a push fitting .Although it just wont disconnect. Iam not sure If iam just doing something wrong or what.

My Cars
    BMWs
    I'd be careful man - silicone would have suited you better. You're going to be putting an awful lot of stress and strain on a rigid coupler. Pretty much everytime you rev and shift and load the motor and unload the motor. Eek!

You usually just push the outter barrel thinger on the fuel line and pull the fitting out.

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    I tried it that way but it seems who ever touched the car before actually broke one of the tabs. So that plastic piece was just floating around in there. So what would be an alternative way of removing the hose? Cutting the line? Iam not gonna be using it anyway so maybe i should do that. I just need the rail off so I can get my new rail cut and tapped.
    Btw, How many feet of fuel line did you need for your car. I might just order it now and get it over with.

My Cars
    none
    Whos doing your tig welding? looks good man. Also, id definatly use a flex bellow coupler or two on the cold side. These car tend to move alot like Jon said. Aluminum VBands dont move at all. Unless you want to do this twice I'd really consider our imput. It will break something somewhere I promise! Or get solid engine and trans mounts.

My Cars
    1998 528i-t, & Jap Stuff
    Vibrant has a product similar to the wiggins if you wanted to go that route:
    http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1626

Personally I like that I used a 90 on my throttle body because it allows a lot of flex. If I have trouble keeping it held on I'll use a tight radius 90 welded to the throttle body and a silicone bellows like this:
    http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...product=FMB-76

I have the 90 and then where the piece of pipe with my maf in it connect to the piece going to the intercooler (which has a mounting tab holding it in place) there is a straight hump coupler that allows a bit of movement if needed (but will keep the piping mostly straight).

I'd encourage you to add a bellows section (if it were me I'd go this route). Forge has 76 and 80 mm available, the 76 will be good and tight on 3" OD pipe, I have to use silicon spray lube to get my couplers from forge on and off, not so with other brands...
    13.239 @ 105.67 with .000 R/T and 1.93 - 60' - 2007 350z - SOLD
    Slow in turbo 528i thanks to a poor driver and lots of heat soak (I couldn't figure out how to drive a pucked clutch off the line to save my life).

LM7 swap in progress/paused pending garage remodel.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1660651

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Even though I hate couplers, it looks like i'll have to get one huh? Would it be ok if I put it down low (out of sight), on the actual intercooler, or should it be close to the intake manifold?

As far as the welds, a buddy of mine does it all for me . He does some pretty nice work.

My Cars
    BMWs
    The couplers are going to be necessary - you have no flex. That, or wiggins. But honestly, run couplers. Especially if your budget is an ebay manifold you don't need to spend $1g on wiggins. I would have recommended vbands down low and couplers up high, since the coupler will be the one to let go, at least its easily accessible on the side of the road.

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver328i View Post
    Vibrant has a product similar to the wiggins if you wanted to go that route:
    http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1626

Personally I like that I used a 90 on my throttle body because it allows a lot of flex. If I have trouble keeping it held on I'll use a tight radius 90 welded to the throttle body and a silicone bellows like this:
    http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...product=FMB-76

I have the 90 and then where the piece of pipe with my maf in it connect to the piece going to the intercooler (which has a mounting tab holding it in place) there is a straight hump coupler that allows a bit of movement if needed (but will keep the piping mostly straight).

I'd encourage you to add a bellows section (if it were me I'd go this route). Forge has 76 and 80 mm available, the 76 will be good and tight on 3" OD pipe, I have to use silicon spray lube to get my couplers from forge on and off, not so with other brands...
    Yea I actually thought about the vanjen clamp and almost bought it until I seen pics of other ppl using them. They take up alot of space with there flanges and in my case there's not enough room. Also in my opinion they only look good when the charge pipe is painted, and I plan on keeping the natural/brushed look.

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Well after fighting with the push fittings last night, I finally got it done. I also got the one side of the intercooler piping done. I will go back later on and find a place for the for a hump hose or even solid mounts if I can get them made for a reasonable price.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    looking good mang!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    fab work looks pretty good!

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Thanks guys! Maybe i'll have more updates tomorrow when I go pick up my harness from lance ( lance is a tuner that had to re-wire my Aem custom harness). If not then ill definitely have more updates next week when I come back from orlando. In the meantime it would be cool if you guys could give me some ideas on the best way to run the hot side charge pipes.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    Thanks guys! Maybe i'll have more updates tomorrow when I go pick up my harness from lance ( lance is a tuner that had to re-wire my Aem custom harness). If not then ill definitely have more updates next week when I come back from orlando. In the meantime it would be cool if you guys could give me some ideas on the best way to run the hot side charge pipes.
    Run the pipe over subframe, intake up to windshield washer reservoir location above for air filter and have Lance send the bill to Kansas!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast