Thread: Ignition harness ground straps, 1 or 2 (S50)?

My Cars
    95 E36 M, XC70

Ignition harness ground straps, 1 or 2 (S50)?

I'm swapping out my cover today to replace gaskets. I noticed I only have one ground strap at the rearmost cylinder but was expecting two (one at 6 and one at 3). Am I missing one?

I called the dealership parts dept and they said I should only have one. Realoem isn't very clear on it either but I wanted to pick one up if necessary.
    Last edited by hcaleman; 04-23-2010 at 06:24 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 M3, (2) 528 s
    if i remember right one on each side of the motor one in front and one in back. but i may be thinking of the obd2 cars.
    1998 estroil blue m3 sedan m50 intake manifold, turner adjustable control arms kw2 coilovers, turner fcab andeismen ann race exhaust and various other mods (sold)
    1995 BMW M3 Avus Blau with Dove Interior. Active autowerke 8psi supercharger Eibach prokit, Hartge 19" Classics, 8000k HID's for the Low Beams and for the Fogs as well, JTD Underpanel Block is bored .25 over with Ross Racing pistons, Turner Motorsport Chip 24# injectors, Euro HFM, Dinan Throttle Body, Fan Delete Mod, Cold Air intake, UUC Oil Filter Lid, UUC Motor Mounts, Race Tranny mounts and Rear Subframe Bushings,UUC Short Shifter, Powerflex, RTAB bushings and FCAB. Cyberdyne Digital gauges for Water Temp, Oil Temp and Pressure and Borla Exhaust. Ac Schnitzer Pedals, Shift Knob and E-brake handle

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Mine has one up front.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    95 E36 M, XC70
    Thought so, thanks I'll go pick another one up.

Everything else is straightfoward except for some of those nasty valve cover flakes got into the cam tray area. Ugh, have been sitting in the garage picking them out and cleaning it best I can.
    Last edited by hcaleman; 04-23-2010 at 02:07 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
    Thought so, thanks I'll go pick another one up.

Everything else is straightfoward except for some of those nasty valve cover flakes got into the cam tray area. Ugh, have been sitting in the garage picking them out and cleaning it best I can.
    You're replacing the one or getting a second?
    You need only one for OBDI.
    10 Earth strap 1 12 42 1 437 633$6.28
    Last edited by Balthazarr; 04-23-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    95 E36 M, XC70
    Oh ok, I was confused when you said you had one up front, I thought you meant in addition to the one at the back (thats where my current one is).

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    I just replaced my valve cover gaskets two nights ago.... I had ground straps on the front and rear, and then a ground from the wiring harness to the third cylinder.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 M3, (2) 528 s
    Quote Originally Posted by bdr127 View Post
    I just replaced my valve cover gaskets two nights ago.... I had ground straps on the front and rear, and then a ground from the wiring harness to the third cylinder.

you have a s52 which is obd2 so thats correct. OBD1 is only one strap.
    1998 estroil blue m3 sedan m50 intake manifold, turner adjustable control arms kw2 coilovers, turner fcab andeismen ann race exhaust and various other mods (sold)
    1995 BMW M3 Avus Blau with Dove Interior. Active autowerke 8psi supercharger Eibach prokit, Hartge 19" Classics, 8000k HID's for the Low Beams and for the Fogs as well, JTD Underpanel Block is bored .25 over with Ross Racing pistons, Turner Motorsport Chip 24# injectors, Euro HFM, Dinan Throttle Body, Fan Delete Mod, Cold Air intake, UUC Oil Filter Lid, UUC Motor Mounts, Race Tranny mounts and Rear Subframe Bushings,UUC Short Shifter, Powerflex, RTAB bushings and FCAB. Cyberdyne Digital gauges for Water Temp, Oil Temp and Pressure and Borla Exhaust. Ac Schnitzer Pedals, Shift Knob and E-brake handle

My Cars
    95 E36 M, XC70
    Pics of the finished product for anyone who cares.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Quote Originally Posted by mikese36m View Post
    you have a s52 which is obd2 so thats correct. OBD1 is only one strap.
    Doh! Sorry, missed the very end of the subject when the OP notes S50...

My Cars
    95 Avus Blue M3///96 Boston Green 328i
    When I first got my 95 M I wondered why there was a big difference in grounding? I guess if you have another one it wouldn't hurt to have another strap to ensure grounding?
    ----Dave----

My Cars
    95 E36 M, XC70
    Probably doesn't make a big difference. The only ground I think I'll replace is the main one from the block to the body on the exhaust side, the housing on mine is all cracked and flaking.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    I'm positive there's only one for the s50. Checked my car and a friend's car.

My question is, does it matter where the strap is located? A buddy of mine did the valve cover swap and now my ground strap is on cylinder one...and the motor isn't starting. Getting "Ignition Coil #6" code - 1276 when doing the obd-I test