Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally passed API TEST and my thanks to all

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

Finally passed API TEST and my thanks to all

Good morning to all:

I would like to thank all the board members that have one way or another aided me in getting this complex system up and running. Yesterday during very late hours, i finally got the API test in and all is well. My thanks to Katvis, DavidMc, Ferpe and all the other great members who have pitched in to enable me to reach this point. I was too exhausted to hook it up to my E46 last night, but will do so this evening. Its great to know that there exists such a great forum with members willing to go the extra mile to help others. I am very glad to be part of this forum. You guys are the best and i appreciate it greatly indeed!

What is interesting after this experience i have learned to setup a virtual machine with no problem and even learned some unix functions in which i had never in my life ever dealt with. So all in all, it is an enriching experience both for using the DIS system and obtaining new knowledge. Truly a great experience.

Hope to be doing some DIS diagnosis work very, very soon!

Cheers and may you all have a great day!

Regards,
    Mark
    Last edited by se93; 04-22-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    318i
    Quote Originally Posted by se93 View Post
    Good morning to all:

I would like to thank all the board members that have one way or another aided me in getting this complex system up and running. Yesterday during very late hours, i finally got the API test in and all is well. My thanks to Katvis, DavidMc, Ferpe and all the other great members who have pitched in to enable me to reach this point. I was too exhausted to hook it up to my E46 last night, but will do so this evening. Its great to know that there exists such a great forum with members willing to go the extra mile to help others. I am very glad to be part of this forum. You guys are the best and i appreciate it greatly indeed!

What is interesting after this experience i have learned to setup a virtual machine with no problem and even learned some unix functions in which i had never in my life ever dealt with. So all in all, it is an enriching experience both for using the DIS system and obtaining new knowledge. Truly a great experience.

Hope to be doing some DIS diagnosis work very, very soon!

Cheers and may you all have a great day!

Regards,
    Mark
    I'd like to join the club too. Can't thank you guys enough for the great work, especially Randomy, Katvis, DavidMc, Ferpe and the rest who have tirelessly helped everyone else out when others would have tried to make money out of this valuable info. Please keep it up!

I finally got the API test working. In addition, I have managed to connect to the diaghead emu 'BMW Diagnostic Head V1.2' and get the following going non stop

Received RESP_KEEPALIVE
    Sending CMD_MT_KEEPALIVE
    Received RESP_KEEPALIVE
    Sending CMD_MT_KEEPALIVE
    Received RESP_KEEPALIVE
    Sending CMD_MT_KEEPALIVE

Some background on my set up and equipment;
    -Running on a Toshiba Tecra S1 which as a RS232 COM port (win xp sp2)
    -DIS v44.00 via vmware 6.5.1 build-126130
    -IFH-Service version 1.01 for win32 (netman server version 2.04)
    -EDIABAS ver 6.4.3 package 1.3

Not tested connecting to the car which is where I ask the experts in you to advise me please:

CAR: e46 318i sedan MY2002, steptronic with the N42B20 engine

Now I need to buy an interface cable (connect via the rs232 COM port) to hooked up to the car. What is the safest/cheapest working interface cable?

My primary aim is to enable the OBC indicator stalk which I have retrofitted. Apparently these are the steps I have to take;

1) Go to ZCS Coding
    2) Select E46 Series
    3) Select Recode or retrofit
    4) Select Kombi
    5) Select Turn Signal
    6) Enable OBC

Then to do diagnostics to see if everything else is healthy and read any stored errors. Car is running well at the moment so I don’t anticipate any surprises.

On the interface cable issue, let me know what your suggestions would be. Choosing the correct interface cable is confusing me since you get INPA/EDIABAS cables on ebay for ~ $30 and then you get the $100+ cables such as the do-it-auto ADS/OBD and then there are the carsoft interface and the VAGCOM KKL modified cables (BTW what is the exact modification that is needed for these cables? I am good at soldering and understanding basic electronics so point me towards anything that may be helpful.) Ideally it would be great if there is a cable that is straight out of the box but Im also looking for the safest and cheapest working interface cable.

Hope to hear from some of you who have got things working and happy with it so I can order the interface this weekend.

Thanks

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If you are only working on an E46, you only need an OBD interface for Ediabas, which runs about $40 on Ebay or you can use a modified VAGCOM interface (see posts by Rondo for mod details). I use the ADS/OBD switchable interfaces (including a do-it-auto unit) because I want the flexibility to work on E30, E36 and E46's and the earlier cars require ADS functionality. The Carsoft interface offers the advantage of being able to be used with Carsoft as well, but the downside is that you will have to start it with Carsoft before switching to DIS to enable DIS to recognise the interface.

My Cars
    318i
    Hey mate, thanks for that quick info.

So this would work for me ?

Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=370218558145
    Would it identify car details/ ignition as well or does it need some mod ?
    Cheers
    Last edited by fgin; 04-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

Interface

Quote Originally Posted by fgin View Post
    Hey mate, thanks for that quick info.

So this would work for me ?

Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=370218558145
    Would it identify car details/ ignition as well or does it need some mod ?
    Cheers

I purchased one of these as well and when installed INPA/EDIABAS, it was a plug and play deal. I got ignition/battery indicators on in a flash. Going to connect DIS to my E46 later on this afternoon to see if all works well.

Regards,
    Mark

My Cars
    318i
    I purchased one of these as well and when installed INPA/EDIABAS, it was a plug and play deal. I got ignition/battery indicators on in a flash. Going to connect DIS to my E46 later on this afternoon to see if all works well.

Regards,
    Mark

Cool, I will await your update on how it went on the DIS before buying it. Please let us know.

You have an e46 MY 2000 correct ? I am guessing you have the 20 pin round connector and not the 16 pin OBD2 connector under the dash which I have?

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

Interface

Hey, this thing is awesome! I had to update the drivers on my serial to USB connector and wala. Up and running. DIS automatically recognizes my car and it is fully functional. Just found out why my air conditioning is not working due to a bad AVC sensor and a fresh air/air circulation flap motor right side. Its great. Truly awesome software with lots of things to do. INPA works perfectly as well. All in all, it was tough, to get to this moment but worthwhile everything it took for me to get it going along with the help of the immortals of the bimmerfourm!!!

Have a great weekend

My Cars
    318i
    Good to hear. Where exactly did you get your interface from? You seem to be using the USB. I have a COM port on my laptop so will use that version of the interface.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The source of all evil - Ebay.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

Interface

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    The source of all evil - Ebay.
    jejeje, Funny but true. Anyway, i purchased mine from this ebay seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...motiveQ5fTools

For about $35.00 shipped, worth every penny as it shows ignition and battery in INPA and works perfectly in DIS.

Great day to all

My Cars
    318i

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Ediabas-INPA-4-BMW-100-compatible-OBDII-Interface-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca905813fQQitemZ26053 3748031QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

For about $35.00 shipped, worth every penny as it shows ignition and battery in INPA and works perfectly in DIS.

Great day to all

Ok I've gone and ordered this one, the specs look exactly the same as the one you've got in the link above. Lets see how it goes. I will update when I have got it and I hook it up to the car.

Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200458788134
    Wish me luck

My Cars
    E46 325xi

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Ediabas-INPA-4-BMW-100-compatible-OBDII-Interface-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca905813fQQitemZ26053 3748031QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Great day to all
    Awesome!. Thanks for the info.

I had recently seen these and wondered if they were the real deal. Seem like the perfect combination for a INPA/EDIABAS and DIS setup.

Yours is an E46 correct? (looks like it by your tagline)
    Last edited by GCoop; 04-26-2010 at 11:45 AM.

My Cars

Great day to all
    I just bought this, i am getting desperate lol

My Cars
    318i

Great day to all
    Hi Mark

Do you have the 'BMW diag head emulator 1.2' running to get your set up to work with the car?

I have so far got a successful API test and when I run the 'BMW diag head emulator 1.2' it responds to the DIS too with keep alive messages. So the next step for me is the get an INPA cable off internet and plug it in. Im still waiting for the cable to arrive by mail and in the mean time I thought I will see exactly how your set up is.

cheers

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    fgin, Mark does not run a diaghead emulator and I have yet to see a case to support using one.

My Cars
    318i
    fgin, Mark does not run a diaghead emulator and I have yet to see a case to support using one.
    Thanks David, I will begin without it running.

What was the whole point of this diag head emulator. Do you know where it originated and why ? Also does it really do ?

As far as I can see, it tricks the DIS to think there is one of 2 diag heads attached to it and shows some messages between the 2. I wouldve thought the signal generated by the PC had to be converted to one that the car's computers could read. Only conclusion I can come up with is that the INPA cable now does that in its circuitry. But I maybe totally wrong. Anyone here who may know about this might like to explain?
    thanks

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I think that the original intent was to provide a bridge for people who did not have their settings quite right and as a result could not establish comms between DIS and Windows. Many seem to view activation of the signal strength indicators on the DIS home page as being indicative of having a fully functional network, whilst this would probably be a useful feature in a workshop environment where DIS was installed on a UNIX mainframe and communicated via a network, it is hardly relevant when the only network we are using is one fully contained in one PC where DIS is set up in vmware.
    For our purposes, once we have established network functionality between DIS and our INPA-connected diaghead, the dishes are done and the additional steps involved in working with a diaghead emulator just become an additional unnecessary (and annoying) step.

My Cars
    318i
    I think that the original intent was to provide a bridge for people who did not have their settings quite right and as a result could not establish comms between DIS and Windows. Many seem to view activation of the signal strength indicators on the DIS home page as being indicative of having a fully functional network, whilst this would probably be a useful feature in a workshop environment where DIS was installed on a UNIX mainframe and communicated via a network, it is hardly relevant when the only network we are using is one fully contained in one PC where DIS is set up in vmware.
    For our purposes, once we have established network functionality between DIS and our INPA-connected diaghead, the dishes are done and the additional steps involved in working with a diaghead emulator just become an additional unnecessary (and annoying) step.
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense regarding the networking and the indicators. I think for me it has been useful to confirm that DIS at the vmware level is connecting and talking to windows level without having the interface cable in hand during installation.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

Dis

Quote Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
    Awesome!. Thanks for the info.

I had recently seen these and wondered if they were the real deal. Seem like the perfect combination for a INPA/EDIABAS and DIS setup.

Yours is an E46 correct? (looks like it by your tagline)

Hi there

The cables are a great buy, Indeed a plug and play deal. Everything wokrs perfectly. Going to start navigating into DIS to explore its options. Yes, i have an E46.

Regards,
    Mark

My Cars
    328xi
    I thought about getting that cable that is posted above on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...motiveQ5fTools ) as it says it works for e90, and then using a usb adapter to connect to my laptop, but it doesn't list DCAN on the description (which I understand is waht I need). Anyone know if this will work for an e90 (2007)?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    No, you will need a D-CAN cable.

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    Hi there

The cables are a great buy, Indeed a plug and play deal. Everything wokrs perfectly. Going to start navigating into DIS to explore its options. Yes, i have an E46.

Regards,
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by fgin View Post
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense regarding the networking and the indicators. I think for me it has been useful to confirm that DIS at the vmware level is connecting and talking to windows level without having the interface cable in hand during installation.

se93, check your PM i sent you another message mate.

fgin, have you got any other details you wish to share?

I still want to confirm these you guys are able to navigate through DIS with batt/ignition/auto detection and are able to detect all modules and do programming on both your e46's?. Can any of you two confirm this for us all?

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW
    Quote Originally Posted by parad0x View Post

I still want to confirm these you guys are able to navigate through DIS with batt/ignition/auto detection and are able to detect all modules and do programming on both your e46's?. Can any of you two confirm this for us all?
    I have not done any programming yet, but DIS works, batt/ignition/auto detection are all working. When i get the chance, i will go into the Coding/programming section of DIS.

My Cars
    318i
    Quote Originally Posted by parad0x View Post

I received my cable today and ...

1. fired up INPA and got IGNITON and BATTERY so I knew that car and computer were connecting
    2. fired up VM and GT1.
    3. I wanted my OBC stalk to be activated which is why I went on this expedition. So thats what I did first and oh yeah now it works! so yes I can code.
    4. Did a full diagnostic scan and it even identified my car and vin etc.

As you can see Im a happy bunny ... will play with it tomorrow.

Can't thank you guys enough for the great work, especially Randomy, Katvis, DavidMc, Ferpe and the rest who have tirelessly helped everyone else out when others would have tried to make money out of this valuable info. Please keep it up!
    Last edited by fgin; 05-12-2010 at 07:21 AM.

My Cars
    02 E39 TiSi M5
    Hey guys I have been lucky enough to have a friend of mine install DIS/INPA/GT1 on a laptop for me.

Im going to be running it to an 02 E39 M5. Any suggestions on a cable? He also installed CarSoft so I would love it to work with that as well.

Any suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast