Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW Business CD: does it not play burned CDs?

My Cars
    Audi, BMW

BMW Business CD: does it not play burned CDs?

2000 328ci, just bought, CD player wont play a burned CD that plays perfectly in my 2003 F250... when I put the CD in the car it says ERROR. If I put in a CD that isn't burned, it plays perfectly.

What's up?

My Cars
    1993 318i Touring
    Try another brand of disc. This is not uncommon and not a fault of the car. Or, try burning the disc from another CD burner.

My Cars
    2004 BMW E46 EXEC

Smile Dension

Get a Dension unit!

Works a treat!

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    Not to over state the obvious... but your burned CD is of standard audio tracks, Not .mp3 correct? (Yes, try a different brand of blank just to be sure also.)

Bottom line.. your Business CD player will play burned audio CDs.

My Cars
    06 325ci
    I had the same problem and had asked about it, I tried everything and still can't play burned CD's
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1316217

My Cars
    BMW E46 330i
    @catch22

That's odd... Have you tried to burn a copy of your music with iTunes? I've made quite a lot of backup CDs, each and everyone plays.

My Cars
    06 325ci
    Well, that was in an 02 325 I used to have, it came without CD changer. I recently bought a 330 that does have CD changer, the unit will not read them either, but CD changer will.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Also make sure you're closing the disc when it finishes burning; not all burning software will do this automatically, and if the disc isn't closed some readers will have trouble with it.

My Business CD head unit (out of an '05 E46) plays burned music CDs as well as MP3 CDs. I believe they're Maxell or Fuji brand discs, can't remember off the top of my head.

My Cars
    04 330i ZHP 6MT
    Yup, disc has to be finalized by your burning software. Also, as mentioned above, only some of the newer HU's play MP3's.
    Eli

My Cars
    German Civic
    Weird. I had no issues playing standard redbook format burned CDs in my old 2000 323i--even using cheap/shitty private label Circuit City discs from around 2000-2001. It would have a been a big problem otherwise, since burned mix discs are all that I use. IIRC, I burned most of them with one of the various free versions of Nero that came bundled with my CD (later DVD) write drive, using the default settings. I've also burned with Windows Media Player and the free version of Ashampoo without issue.

My 2005 will play MP3 discs (it's nice to be able to fit 5-6 CDs worth of music on a single disc...effectively eliminated my desire to purchase an iPod kit).
    Last edited by akhbhaat; 04-22-2010 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    323is 330ci 135i
    My 2001 plays burned CD but not MP3 disc.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Gawts to be in the proper format

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    05 545i, 03 X5
    Burn it at a slower speed, many new burners burn too fast and the data is harder for the deck to read. I've noticed that cd's burned at a faster rate skip easier also.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci/6Spd
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
    Burn it at a slower speed, many new burners burn too fast and the data is harder for the deck to read. I've noticed that cd's burned at a faster rate skip easier also.

all the feed back posted was correct up until this post. burning your cd's slower will have no effect on the way the cd plays in your cd player.

i would reccommend a different brand of disc and/or method of burning.... glad i don't have and have never had the problem with either of my BMW's (00 323/04 330)
    Last edited by dabdibridgep; 04-23-2010 at 04:24 AM.

My Cars
    05 545i, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by dabdibridgep View Post
    all the feed back posted was correct up until this post. burning your cd's slower will have no effect on the way the cd plays in your cd player.

i would reccommend a different brand of disc and/or method of burning.... glad i don't have and have never had the problem with either of my BMW's (00 323/04 330)
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov0...s/qa1104-3.htm

there are 100s more just like it, plus the fact that i have personally seen a difference. While it may not be his problem, it is a well documented problem that I have also experienced first hand.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for such a late reply, just wanted to say I have the same problem in my wifes BMW 323I 2000 E46, which has a standard BMW Business CD without stacker.

We tried changing discs, burning on different computers, finalising burning sessions, and all that with no luck.

The car would always play burnt cds in pretty much any brand providing they were burnt as an AUDIO CD, I know that for a fact because it use to be my car & I never hard any problems at all with any Audio CDs I burnt.

I even tried using the same discs I use to play in the car which I still have with no luck, sometimes it will read them & other times you will hear it trying to read for minutes till it displays "CD ERROR" & spits the disc out.

I think this is definitely an issue with the cd player, it has become very sensitive too when the car goes over a bump it jumps quiet easily.

Any ideas on how to go about fixing? maybe it needs a good clean inside?

Or better off buying a new one?

Thanks

My Cars
    2006 330i

BMW Business CD: does it not play burned CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by m3thewaytobe View Post
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for such a late reply, just wanted to say I have the same problem in my wifes BMW 323I 2000 E46, which has a standard BMW Business CD without stacker.

We tried changing discs, burning on different computers, finalising burning sessions, and all that with no luck.

The car would always play burnt cds in pretty much any brand providing they were burnt as an AUDIO CD, I know that for a fact because it use to be my car & I never hard any problems at all with any Audio CDs I burnt.

I even tried using the same discs I use to play in the car which I still have with no luck, sometimes it will read them & other times you will hear it trying to read for minutes till it displays "CD ERROR" & spits the disc out.

I think this is definitely an issue with the cd player, it has become very sensitive too when the car goes over a bump it jumps quiet easily.

Any ideas on how to go about fixing? maybe it needs a good clean inside?

Or better off buying a new one?

Thanks
    Find a used one in the classifieds section. They typically go from $100-200

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by WoLF View Post
    Find a used one in the classifieds section. They typically go from $100-200
    Sounds like the way to go, cheers mate

My Cars
    '96 Camaro, '95 325i
    Old post, I know, But I just tried burning discs at various speeds in Windows media player, with only slight improvement with slower speeds. I downloaded Nero burning ROM trial, and burned the same music and it works PERFECTLY. Still no idea why, but it worked in the CD Changer of my 95 325i, it may work for anyone reading this.

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    EDIT: Even better! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1611782

This isn't an issue with the CDs...

Last edited by mdfiasco; 01-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Check out this link, it should be helpful. I had simialr issues in another vehicle but I got it sorted out.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/windows...in_my_car.html

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    As for the skipping, pull the radio out and make sure the black stem is still attached to the back of the radio. Also, I have a CD unit that played burned CDs with no issues at my house. I upgraded to the newer CD53 to play MP3 CDs.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci
    When I went to pick up my car, I burned some cd's for the drive back as I dont use CD's anymore.

Some worked on one brand and others didnt on another. Try a different brand. I cant remember if it was the CDR or CDRW that didnt work for me.

This thread is so my high school days! I remember when Morpheus was king, wireless routers came out, and MP3 CD's were tits. Now I cant keep up with all thsi crap every year.
    Last edited by mLuMaN83; 01-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    ~ 18x8 CSL Wheels, LED Tails, LED Plate Lights, Clear Corners, Clear Indicators, Painted Reflectors, USASpec,
    ZHP Shifter, Painted Headlight Trim~

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    early blaupunkt cd players will probably not play anything but a good purchased cd. they changed the audio in 2002 i believe to the alpine units. you can no longer purchase the old decks and they have a retrofit cable and some other parts required to convert to the newer decks. My 2001 does the same thing, got a alpine unit and forgot about the retrofit cable for anteanna and anteanna amp is different. totally blew out of my mind that they changed.

My Cars
    BMW E92 335 Coupe
    I have an '01 325Cic and have my iTune library burned on CD's. Like Dane said, it's all about the format. I remember my first CD did not work so I changed the format and it plays on the older business unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast