Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: How to remove dry cement?

My Cars
    NA1, E36-S52 Cabby

How to remove dry cement?

Just wondering if there's a method to remove a thin thin layer of dried cement from the paint surface? I'll try to post some pictures.

My Cars
    M-B SL500
    Concrete Spots

Calcified water spots on paint and glass, water and concrete spots are pretty much the same chemically; calcium carbonate, with the concrete being cross-linked with water

If the concrete is ‘fresh’ try using detailer’s clay, using short strokes with light pressure or you may cause deep surface scratches

Removal
    Apply 1:1 ratio water with distilled White Vinegar solution, and using a spray bottle, spray that mixture on the spots and let them "soak." Then rinse with water and repeat as necessary.
    If the ambient temperature water/vinegar mix does not work, warm (100-120 degrees) 100% distilled White Vinegar, saturate a clean kitchen sponge with pure vinegar and hold the sponge over the concrete spots for a few minutes
    If the above do not remove them try equal parts distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and distilled white vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will help etch and dissolve the concrete.
    Rinse the area thoroughly with water after the vinegar and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

a) To remove concrete that has set use a Valuguard Decontamination /Neutralization system a safe alkaline wash and neutralizing system the ABC wash apparently loosens the bond with the clear coat, after using the wash simply lift off any concrete with a plastic razor, for smaller specks use detailers clay, any subsequent etching will require an abrasive to level the paint surface, and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

b) Back-Set by Romix is an acid alternative with no fumes or odours, molecularly breaks down the ionic bond in Portland cement, completely dissolving and releasing the hardened cement from any surface it is adhered to. Chemically speaking, Back-Set converts the positive ions in the hardened matrix into negative ions, which dissolves the cement into mud that can be rinsed away. Because it works chemically, rather than mechanically, Back-Set may be used to remove cured concrete, mortar, grout, and stucco from virtually any surface without harm. Always apply Back-Set to a dry surface area

An extract from “Paint Surface Problems and Corrections ” , one of a series of 118 unbiased “The Science of Detailing” technical papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

TOGWT ™ Ltd (Established 1980) © Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that entry level, enthusiasts, professionals and industry experts trust ~~ TOGWT Blog - Facebook Page

My Cars
    uma E36 325 vermelho
    TOGWT, is there anything you DON'T know?
    What would Crockett and Tubbs do?

1994 E36 Hellrot/Black 325is
    2007 E92 Jet Black/Saddle Brown 335i

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    TOGWT, is there anything you DON'T know?
    The web is a wonderful thing.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    NA1, E36-S52 Cabby
    Regular white vinegar worked great!

My Cars
    2002 330i
    Thank you for this older thread. Exactly what I needed to know.