BAVToys
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hid relay harness ... should i even bother?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
    Yep, pull the bumper off,... there's only 2-8mm bolts (wheel well) and 4-13mm (bumper) that hold the bumper on. Undo and you can see all the room you can use to mount/hide the wiring for the harness and HIDs.

One can mount the ballats INSIDE the bumper carrier. And you can run the wiring harness wires through the carrier too.

Aside from hiding the nest of wires better, the carrier gets A LOT less vibration and heat.
    Eh, it works out to be about the same because even with most of the harness tucked down below, you still have to run the pickup plugs up because the stock plugs can't reach that far down.

I'd say as long as the ballasts themselves are in the beam, it's all good.

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport

No nest here. Note there are TWO wiring harnesses running through there. I've got one running the HID fogs and one running the headlights. The flexy hose shown here is what contains them. The other black/red wires is for the horn I had to relocate because the eurolights got in the way.

Obviously it's A LOT of wiring for TWO sets, so I can't have them all sitting behind the headlights. Plus it can get dangerous given the fan isn't too far away.

My wiring harness sits right under the passenger headlight behind the bumper cover. I have it zip tied to the AC condenser bracket, so nice and cool and dry. This space allows me to run the wiring through the inside of the bumper cover completely out of the engine bay - as you generally don't want electrical wires too close to a heat source like an engine or radiator.

SLOCAR - I am not downing your wiring. Your set-up is a lot simpler than mine, and you mounted the ballast in the bumper carrier too. So great spot.

Most guys just zip tie or *gasp* tape their ballast to the shock tower. Electrical wiring is something you really don't want just dangling around your engine bay.
    Last edited by LuxoM3; 09-21-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Yep, yours sure does look a lot cleaner, but given nobody ever really looks at my engine bay (and what is there to see when there's a tiny m42 in there), it's clean enough for me.

edit: Though you have inspired me; weather is gonna be nice tomorrow so I might actually try to do something with the nest.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS

revive a dead thread

I would like to see the pic of the ballast mounting if possible

Thanks
    Dwight
    A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Unfortunatelly I no longer own the car. Or a BMW at all for that matter.

I will look later when I get home if I have a pic somewhere on my laptop.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    Thanks Slo

I am in the process of gathering right now for some HID fogs, I have the ballasts and the bulbs. I did a power up test of the 35 watt bulbs , they draw 3.7 amps at ignition and while they are on, this is for each bulb. My car was not wired for fogs so I am having to wore it, I am using a relay and a original BMW fog light switch I bought so it will look as factory as possible. I do not have projector fog housings ...just cheap Ebay ones. I noticed there are some Projector ones available on Ebay now, if these flare and scatter too much light I will have to get some of the projector ones. It looks like there is little adjustment on these light brackets.
    A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Mount the ballasts to the inside of the bumper mount using double sided tape (not too much, or you'll never be able to get it off!). I couldn't get pics because it was too dark but if you look down below where the headlight mounts to the body you'll see where I mean.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    I like the idea of the ease of double sided tape...but it scares me a little. What type did you use ?? Did you have to remove the bumper to do this ??

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    The front bumper comes off in 10 min. It's 4 bolts under a the cover plastic and 2-8mm bolts in the fender well. Super super easy.

Once off, you'll see how much room there is to mount your ballasts in a vibration free, dry area inside your bumper carrier/frame.

Double stick tape from 3M. It's like grey. GREAY stuff. Better than screws.
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    There's no need to take the bumper cover off. Once the headlights are out you'll be able to reach down and tack the ballasts to the inside of the bumper carrier. You may even have enough room to do this with the headlights still installed. I used two 1" strips of double sided tape and gave the ballast a tug to be sure it wouldn't fall off. Be sure to clean the area with rubbing alcohol before pressing the ballast down!

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    Thanks Guys, for now it is just the fogs that re getting HID's. I am pretty sure when I do HID in headlights I will get new projector assemblies...so I will have to take them out.

What size relays you using 25 amp ?? and 1 for each Assembly or 1 total ??

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    the relays come with their own fuses

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    You missed my question, are you using one relay per bulb or one relay to turn power on to both bulbs ?

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    a relay harness comes with it's own fuse - and one harness powers two bulbs/lights/ballasts. So for hid fogs only, one harness. For fogs and low beams - two harnesses.

And I still Highly suggest removing the bumper. It's actually more work to remove your headlights and re-install them (re-aim) than pulling the bumper.

Plus since you will run a wiring harness, pulling the bumper will give you some nice space to run the wires through, versus in the engine compartment.

FWIW - most states don't want you running HIDs. So some cops will make you pop the hood, see a wiring nest of a mess for HID lights and issue a fix it for lights. A good install job looks stock.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    True and Thanks....Hey your Avatar....you should be shooting a AUG not a M4 if your a BMW owner HAHAHAHAHA

My Cars
    1998 328i 1976 2002

gauges dip issues on e36

I had the gauge dip issue everytime I would do the initial startup of the hids.........installed a relay harness with a 40amp relay 25 amp fuse and would still get the dip.........tried another set of ballasts....same thing......tried using my foglight wires and it works perfect with no dip......whats gives.......the only thing i can think of is that I have a bad switch that turns on my lights.Please help!!

My Cars
    ive always done a harness. its hardly any extra work and its the right way to do it imho.

and you can get them for dirt on ebay for like $1 these days.
    why not?

i remember my first retro was a $50 order from parts express to build my own harness,forget ordering a premade one. my how things have changed over the yrs.
    Last edited by breakfast; 02-11-2012 at 02:07 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Hey guys,

I'm in the process of picking up a relay harness locally for my 98' 328i, I was wondering, did you guys run the "positive" wire all the way to the trunk where the battery is at or did you connect it to the auxiliary terminal inside the engine bay? I'm running 35w bulbs and haven't had any flickering, I do get the spike when I initially turn on my HID's so I figured just to be on the safe side to put one on.

Thx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12