Thread: Wastegate pipe clearance

My Cars
    98 M3 TTS2

Wastegate pipe clearance

Over the last few weeks, I've been noticing that my engine makes a funny (rattlesnake) noise when accelerating and turning left. You can faintly hear it while accelerating in a straight line but it is especially loud if you're accelerating and turning left. The harder you turn left, the louder it gets, regardless of throttle input. So after poking around under the hood, I think I found the source of this noise. My wastegate pipe is like 2mm from the frame rail. Whenever the engine is loaded or leans closer to the passenger side, the pipe touches the frame rail and transmits noise. Just to make sure, I put my ear up to a long screwdriver and placed the end of it on the wastegate pipe with the engine running. Sure enough, it's the same noise I've been hearing inside of the car.

So the question is, what should I do about it? I put in new OE motor mounts and UUC (black) trans mounts when I installed the turbo. I guess the only option is to remove the pipe and try to hammer in the area it's touching?

Also, since this appears to be blocking the engine's rotation, could this be what's causing my shifter to feel misaligned on the 1 - 2 shift? I've completely refreshed the shift linkage, installed a UUC DSSR, put new fluid in the trans (Redline D4 ATF), did the reverse/5th gear fixes plus the (1 - 4) shift pin fixes and checked to make sure that my clutch is fully releasing. I can shift the car perfectly when it's not moving but whenever I go for a 1 - 2 shift while the car is in motion the shifter seems to get stuck until the engine's rpms drop below a certain point.

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    sounds like new urethane motor/trans mounts are a good choice for you. My car has quite a few tight clearances and the uuc motor/trans mount combo has been doing quite well!

Take a prybar and pry by the motor mounts and see how much play you get

ohh and make sure the front subframe is not tearing (where the motor mounts bolt to) I'd highly recommend reinforcing that area.
    Last edited by LukeG; 04-17-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    ///M x 2
    The UUC DSSR will move your shifter to the right of center, iirc.