Thread: Who's got aftermarket brake pads?

My Cars
    1999 Mcoupe

Question

I need some. I think cek2 has brembo crossdrille with pagid pads? how do you like these?
    A local shop recommends Performance Friction Z-rated pads and Brembo rotors. They say slotted or crossdrilled rotors will just wear the pads out faster and not help in braking much. What is a good install time for front and then for both front and rear. Thanks.

My Cars
    Pokeball
    i'm using pbr metal masters. they are friendly to my wheels and wash easier than stock.

My Cars
    e36 328is,T4R, is250AWD

Wink

I have Pbr deluxe with my x-drilled rotors/ they seem to work fine. Install time for all rotors + pads was 1 hour.

My Cars
    1999 Mcoupe

Are they noisy?

Pika - do they squeal? I know that they shouldn't with proper anti-squeal lubrication.

Flipmode - what brand of rotors are they.. thanks.
    Last edited by bblars; 02-26-2001 at 09:45 PM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I'm using Euro Floating rotors w/ Mintex Pads upfront and stock rotors with Pagid sport pads in the rear.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Pokeball
    bblars, they don't squeal, they are okay.

My Cars
    e36 328is,T4R, is250AWD
    I got bavauto, should've gotten zimmermans though, oh wellz, they've been good to me...

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    Hey, nice soothing sound <b>Pika</b>!

. . .PBR Deluxes on OEM rotors. . .
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd

Arrow

*In my opinion*, it is best to stay away from cross-drilled or slotted rotors when staying with the stock caliper setup. Most drilled or slotted rotors, even those that are casted with holes and chamfered, are very soft and crack prone. All drilled rotors will crack sooner or later if overheated(heat expansion and contraction). And even though you are decreasing unsprung weight, you are also decreasing the mass of the rotor. This leaves less mass to dissapate heat created in the rotor when braking. A rotor is basically a heat sink. *If you like the look of drilled/slotted rotors, they will hold up for street use if you dont subject them to repeated heavy braking.

My recommendation for rotors are Balo stock rotors. Remember that there are several manufacturers for 'stock' rotors. Balo rotors can be found at www.ultimategarage.com and www.bimmerworld.com.

For pads, it depends on your needs: low dust or better braking; street only, street/light track, or track only. For low dust street only pads you can try pbr/repco deluxe/metalmaster pads. For dual purpose pads there is metalmasters, hawk hp plus, porterfield r4s, PF Z, and so on. Then there are track pads: porterfield r4, pagid orange, PF90, and so on. Remember that with pads, there are always trade offs. No dual purpose pad has the temperature capacity of a track pad. Track pads will be loud and dusty, and not effective at lower temps. Even with any brake setup, it is still possible to warp rotors with improper braking technique.

If you plan on tracking/autocrossing your car, ATE 200/Superblue brake fluid. If not, stay with stock BMW fluid, as race fluid is more hygroscopic.

My Cars
    X GSR | M3
    I use Power Slot rotors all around and PBR Metal Masters all around.
    JOEY | '18 M3 ZCP AW | '18 Lead Foot Raptor

I use Power Slot rotors all around and PBR Metal Masters all around.
    I thought ATE powerslot rotors were only made for front applications. No?

Wait, maybe I'm thinking of ATE powerdisc rotors. I'm guessing powerslot rotors are different. Sorry.

My Cars
    95 M3, 94 525it
    I run Pagid pads with Brembo cross drilled rotors in the front. Not much dust and the rotors have not warped or cracked in the last two years. I brake heavily at times and the brakes do not fade or pulse. I flush the brake fluid annually.
    happy motoring
    94 525it (M50tu)
    95 M3 (S50)

92 325is (M50) SOLD

My Cars
    2003 AW M5
    ok.......so am i the ONLY FOOL that hears that fruity piano playing in the background?? is this something new on the board?....might as well smack me 7.5 times and call me Belvedere.....jeez! =)

as for the pads/rotors....i have the x-drilled zimmermans all around (LOVE EM TO DEATH!) and PBR metalmasters. i've recently been getting a clunking sound from the pads as if they're not seated properly......this is about 3K miles after the change. i know i didn't install em improperly and i remember pikachu stating that his didn't fit well either and would rattle when he goes over bumps. mine rattle/click when i completely release the brakes.....its getting annoying....hopefully i can open it up and take a look this weekend when im back home. hope this helps

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    Originally posted by Seedster
    ok.......so am i the ONLY FOOL that hears that fruity piano playing in the background?? is this something new on the board?....might as well smack me 7.5 times and call me Belvedere.....jeez! =)

Thank the fruity music to pika...
    Richard

My Cars
    2003 AW M5
    2 questions........

1) how do you know its from his post?

and 2) when is that guy never up to no good???....NEVER!.....always doin some funky stuff that any normal chinobyl nuclear victim of a squirrel wouldn't do....hehe

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    <b>Seedster</b>,

Pika is embedding this in this .sig (with brackets of course):

BGSOUND src="http://member.giga.net.tw/minilady/midi/Once_In_A_Bluemoon.midBluemoon.mid" volume=0 loop=infinite
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    at least we know the name of the music...

damn pika, that music is depressing!
    Richard

Seedster, when does the brake clunk on your car? My car sometimes makes a clunking noise when its shifting around (entering a turn, etc).

Also, has anyone had experience with Rotex pads? I read awhile ago that these pads were as good as the Metalmasters but doesn't squeal an easier on the rotors...

about the music, you can just hit the stop button on your browser to kill it (at least in ie)