Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.0l swaps

My Cars
    96 328is
    im almost positive after you do the mass air conversion (which is really easy, ive done it in a lincoln mark vii) then its also pretty easy to convert it to obdII. i still have my 302 and t5 with mass air computer. i might do this swap if i can find more info no it. you can do a lot of upgrades to a 302 that has a mass air conversion. then to be obdII compliant would be pretty sweet because you can still have obdII and still do all the upgrades you could to a 302 which is a lot more then an obdII bmw computer. damn i cant believe this is possible, i really want to do it lol.

My Cars
    1995 318is with a 95 5.0
    I am in Maryland and I got an OBD I car because the explorer motor is classified as a truck engine. I talked to a few places that do inspections on modified cars and to pass the MD safety inspection with a swap, I have to have the stock 5.0 engine hooked up to a stock E36 exhaust with all emissions intact. I got a used M3 exhaust for this reason. Once I get past the safety and emissions tests, I can mod the hell out of the 5.0! The best part is for 2011, MD OBD I emissions test is an idle test

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Im in the process of doing it right now. Not to bad, just time consuming collecting all the parts. And aftermarket parts if your going that route like me

My Cars
    96 328is
    im interested in more info on your build. i want to start collecting parts for it since i have the motor trans and mass air computer

My Cars
    94 e36, c5
    Has anyone tried a 4.6l dohc swap?

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Quote Originally Posted by samman View Post
    Has anyone tried a 4.6l dohc swap?
    No, because Ford modular motors (SOHC and DOHC) are F'ing huge.

My Cars
    2009 370z
    If anyone out there needs them I have motor mounts, tranny plate, and a polly tranny mount. I got the mounts from the E36v8 website. I''ll do all of them for $150 plus shipping.

My Cars
    91 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by The Arp View Post
    If anyone out there needs them I have motor mounts, tranny plate, and a polly tranny mount. I got the mounts from the E36v8 website. I''ll do all of them for $150 plus shipping.
    Hey man I am extremely interested and have the money waiting.

It wont let me PM on here so feel free to email me at JTLYONS16@hotmail.com.

Thanks ahead of time

JT

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by jt223539 View Post
    Hey man I am extremely interested and have the money waiting.

It wont let me PM on here so feel free to email me at JTLYONS16@hotmail.com.

Thanks ahead of time

JT
    Sorry JT... these are now in my possession. Now to convince the CFO my Touring needs another drive train swap

My Cars
    saab 9-5, MB e300

5.0L Swap part deux

Hi LouieD, Have you looked into the mechanicals of swapping in a 5.0L into a touring? I have a lead on a 530it with a bad engine... Might be a swap vice dropping in another m60b30 with potential Nikasil problems. The 318i project hasn't gotten off the ground due to the OBDII potential issues that haven't been worked through yet. Car is still sitting and might be a good S52 swap project. Think the touring would be much easier to do, especially if the e36v8 bits will work in the e34. Thanks, Brooks

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by bacoburn View Post
    Hi LouieD, Have you looked into the mechanicals of swapping in a 5.0L into a touring? I have a lead on a 530it with a bad engine... Might be a swap vice dropping in another m60b30 with potential Nikasil problems. The 318i project hasn't gotten off the ground due to the OBDII potential issues that haven't been worked through yet. Car is still sitting and might be a good S52 swap project. Think the touring would be much easier to do, especially if the e36v8 bits will work in the e34. Thanks, Brooks
    I have been kicking the idea around for a while now and I hope that I will get started on it this winter. From what I have read the biggest challenge will be the exhaust. Specifically the drivers side header. I'm not crazy about the solution that is used on the e36 chassis, but I have a little more room in the e34 so I'm going to give it a go. My plan is to have both headers pointed in the right direction as opposed to having them point forward and running a Y pipe across the front of the oil pan.

I don't know if the above mentioned mounts will work in the e34 chassis, but I wanted to have them in hand in the off case they do, if not they will at least point in in the right direction in as far as fabbing my own.

Now if you have a V8 e34 to start with the hot ticket there is the 4liter with a 6 speed. Keep in mind that the Nikasil problem has been around for a long time and would have occurred by now. In other words if the "new" motor is running fine, chances are it will continue to do so.

I will be going the 5.0 route as I have to deal with smog tests and there is no legal way I could ever get that kind of cheap torque (300ft/lbs) out of my I6 and still be in compliance to the "man." And 225hp/300tq. is the base for a H.O. 5.0L... I can nearly double those numbers and still pass a sniff test.

Anyway good luck with your swap.

My Cars
    97 //M3/4/5 & 99 //M3/C
    Quote Originally Posted by ncracerxxx View Post
    Or indoor plumbing!!!

If you use a Xploader ecu and engine harness and all the same OBII sensors as the Explorer, then all you would need to do is break out the diagnostic plug from the ecu harness. As long as they can read data off the ecu, same as if you plugged in a OBII scanner, it should be all good....

CR
    No way that would work at an emissions station. When the plug it in it will send the vin for a ford explorer... You are basically SOL with an an engine swap for an OBDII chassis in an emissions county unless you buy a turn key epa certified LSX kit from GM.

My Cars
    99 e39, 11 b16
    What about an e24 with historic tags and no need to see emissions nazis in MD?
    What would i need to drop a 5.0 in that car? I see the getrag has a bell that is removable?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12