Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.0l swaps

My Cars
    1995 325i

5.0l swaps

I'm thinkin about doin a swap in my bmw and I was wondering what ever happen to the 5.0 swaps? Seems like there's only one running I subcribed on YouTube and now I don't hear anything From anyone else... Maybe I should just do a ls1 swap???

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5
    All of the current swaps going on our on the website e36v8.com I want to do this swap so bad you should do it.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I see only one and fo lawsons buld thread and the link doesn't work

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Any running and driving?

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I really want to do this but it doesn't seem like anyone else has a actual running and driving everyday car yet :-/
    I was also looking at the specs on the motor performance wise how would this swap stack up vs. doing a 3.2 m3 swap?

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    The 3.2L swap would certainly be easier and more straight forward initially, but I'd say in a couple of months, you'd want more power....and that is going to cost you an arm and a leg. There are tons of options for pumping up a ford 302......tons.

My Cars
    1995 525i 5spd
    yup. 450hp is pretty easy with a n/a 347 sbf.
    2005 Volvo XC90 V8
    1995 525iM oxford green w/ silver grey interior
    2003 Dodge Ram CTD QC HO w/ 6spd
    1985 Jeep CJ7 rock crawler w/ Ford 5.8l SEFI

My Cars
    BMW-less ATM
    Here's a video I took of mine yesterday. There are several 5.0 E30 and E36 swaps ongoing right now. Gene and PJ are moving quickly - Lawson finished or nearly finished but I haven't heard from him lately. Brad and Nick are pioneering the E30 5.0 swaps. My engine is nearly stock, with only a few bolt-ons, but all the builds now are more modified, so I can't wait to see some of these monsters driving and running. There are several others started but I haven't heard back from them. Engine swaps are inherently long projects, so be patient and you'll see some sick 5.0 BMW's in the future. I want to share this stuff but I don't want to be seen as advertising because I'm not a forum sponsor. Cheers!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbXQTKeVkU[/ame]
    Caption: "To satisfy demand, here's a hard launch video of my BMW E36 with 5.0 Mustang engine and T5 transmission swapped in. This is not a full rev, clutch dump burnout, but it is a hard, tire spinning launch. You can also see that it's easy to spin 2nd gear at will. The rear end is all stock BMW, with 200k miles on it - see, it won't blow up! It is not a limited slip rear-end, but sometimes both tires spin. I have very wide rear tires with the staggered M3 rims - 245's I think. Full information is available at www.e36v8.com and www.e30v8.com (E30 5.0 swaps are now happening, too). Check out the blog on my site for other swapped cars. Keep in mind, I only spent about $2,300 on this swap total!"
    Last edited by 65Matt; 04-19-2010 at 10:05 AM.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I tryed to find out how much hp these things make and my friend says they make 225hp is this true?? Matt how much power your setup is making?? I thought they made alot more then that. When matched up to the newer m3 e36 it seems like the m3 will pull on a v8 swapped e36 hopefully he's wrong :-/

My Cars
    E21, E30, E36, WRX
    He's not wrong. Stock from the ford factory, the 5.0L was choked and pathetic. However the huge after market for H/C/I on these cars allows for insane power and torque for little cash.

A 5.0L complete running engine shouldn't cost more than $600 on craigslist. An M3 S52 won't be found here.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Anyone know what happen with lawsons car? I remember seeing a build thread on it

Matt is your speed sensor working? My friend said that his t5 has a cable running to his transmission I know the Bmw doesn't do that
    Last edited by Bmwguy456; 04-21-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    94 332iT/99 M3/98 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
    He's not wrong. Stock from the ford factory, the 5.0L was choked and pathetic. However the huge after market for H/C/I on these cars allows for insane power and torque for little cash.

A 5.0L complete running engine shouldn't cost more than $600 on craigslist. An M3 S52 won't be found here.
    +1

Just starting my swap back up. Hopefully I can have a running car by june.

OBDI CES cutring S52 /86.5mm 11:5.1 , eagle rods
    TRM GT35r Kit

My Cars
    E36 CONV
    I saw lawson posting on a 5.0 forum trying to work out his vss problem. I have purchased a transmission for my swap that uses a oss instead of a vss and i am trying to overcome that as well. Still gathering parts for my swap. motor is done tranny is together. looking at using the jtr idea of the volvo fan set up with stock radiator instead of using a different radiator.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 325i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 65Matt View Post
    Here's a video I took of mine yesterday. There are several 5.0 E30 and E36 swaps ongoing right now. Gene and PJ are moving quickly - Lawson finished or nearly finished but I haven't heard from him lately. Brad and Nick are pioneering the E30 5.0 swaps. My engine is nearly stock, with only a few bolt-ons, but all the builds now are more modified, so I can't wait to see some of these monsters driving and running. There are several others started but I haven't heard back from them. Engine swaps are inherently long projects, so be patient and you'll see some sick 5.0 BMW's in the future. I want to share this stuff but I don't want to be seen as advertising because I'm not a forum sponsor. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbXQTKeVkU
    Caption: "To satisfy demand, here's a hard launch video of my BMW E36 with 5.0 Mustang engine and T5 transmission swapped in. This is not a full rev, clutch dump burnout, but it is a hard, tire spinning launch. You can also see that it's easy to spin 2nd gear at will. The rear end is all stock BMW, with 200k miles on it - see, it won't blow up! It is not a limited slip rear-end, but sometimes both tires spin. I have very wide rear tires with the staggered M3 rims - 245's I think. Full information is available at www.e36v8.com and www.e30v8.com (E30 5.0 swaps are now happening, too). Check out the blog on my site for other swapped cars. Keep in mind, I only spent about $2,300 on this swap total!"

After looking at this I think I am going to convert my 1998 with a Mustang power plant.

My Cars
    saab 9-5, MB e300

Ford 5.0L OBD II into E36

Hi folks, Been doing some searching but not finding regarding some emissions info. Have a 1997 318i for the taking. Numerous engine issues. Great candidate for a Ford engine. Only issue is that N. Virginia requires emissions tests. In VA, 1996 on is an OBD II hook up test not a tail pipe sniffer. Which engine would be the best candidate for this swap? Thanks, Brooks

My Cars
    96 E36 Coyote 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by bacoburn View Post
    Hi folks, Been doing some searching but not finding regarding some emissions info. Have a 1997 318i for the taking. Numerous engine issues. Great candidate for a Ford engine. Only issue is that N. Virginia requires emissions tests. In VA, 1996 on is an OBD II hook up test not a tail pipe sniffer. Which engine would be the best candidate for this swap? Thanks, Brooks
    I'm not so sure you can. Do they plug in OBD-I cars in your state? I'd try a 92-95 chassis then.

If you're looking for an economical swap alternative to a stock engine replacement... you're looking in the direction. Swaps are expensive.
    E36 5.0 Coyote DOHC V8 Swap - Build Thread Here

My Cars
    Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by bacoburn View Post
    I too live in VA. I've considered this swap a lot and I've found that the only possible way to get around the emissions thing would be to swap in the 5.0 from an Explorer mated with a T5 because Explorers didn't switch from the Windsor over to the 4.6 modulars until the third generation in 2002. So they're OBDII compliant and from what I've read they're also the best in terms of reliability not to mention being younger than any of the Mustang 5.0s and being more compact (meaning more breathing room under the hood).
    Last edited by My98HellrotTi; 07-15-2011 at 11:12 PM.

My Cars
    Ford Van
    I'm probably a year off from a swap, but I was thinking the Xploader, would be a better donor anyway. The OBDII is a good thing, you can get all kinds of data from the bus and very cheaply. Coil packs are a better way to go, it will be more efficient, better fuel mileage, better performance.
    The intake and heads are better on the Explorer, the cams suck. From what I hear, the front dress is also shorter than the Stang.

I guess the trick will be how to integrate the engine bay harness with the interior harness...

CR

My Cars
    saab 9-5, MB e300

N. VA swap

Thanks for the info on the Explorer/Mountaineer Greg. I'll have to do some more research on that one to see how the OBD II will be wired up. Might be a bit easier if I pass on the one car and search for a '95 or earlier. More research... Brooks

My Cars
    1995 318is with a 95 5.0
    I have one or two more things to do before I put my engine in. I have a 95 318IS, 95 Gt engine and ecu. It shoul be moving on its own in the next few weeks. I need to start a thread here soon.

My Cars
    saab 9-5, MB e300
    Hate to say it but the OBD II issues will require an extensive bit of rewiring. Might have to move further out from the DC area. New house may be easier to make happen. This mod might not be the best for our cars Greg. Have you looked into superchargers? Either that, or we sell ours, and get a pair of pre-96 M3s. Or we'll work on wiring up yours first! (Just kidding...) Brooks

My Cars
    E36 swapped 5.0 turbo
    I'm in South Carolina and we have no type of inspection!

My Cars
    saab 9-5, MB e300
    You're lucky! Greg and I are too close to the epicenter of buffoonery. Too much stale air around DC. Guess they are trying to do something positive. Have yet to see a government program do that, but hope springs eternal...

My Cars
    Ford Van
    Quote Originally Posted by arathbone View Post
    I'm in South Carolina and we have no type of inspection!
    Or indoor plumbing!!!

If you use a Xploader ecu and engine harness and all the same OBII sensors as the Explorer, then all you would need to do is break out the diagnostic plug from the ecu harness. As long as they can read data off the ecu, same as if you plugged in a OBII scanner, it should be all good....

CR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast