Thread: is it ok to bypass electric fan to have it turn on once engine is on ?

My Cars
    X3,528i,

Question is it ok to bypass electric fan to have it turn on once engine is on ?

first of all.i hate to bypass the wire,but previous owner bypassed the electric fan because the ac does not work and he didnt do a good on job bypassing the wires...and the car will get overheat if electric fan does not turn on.so my idea is to bypass the electric fan and have it turned on once engine is on...is that going to hurt anything?
    the electric fan relay is gone,previous owner did that.
    Last edited by ganzibye; 04-10-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    2000 BMW 528i / Manual Tranny / Sport & Premium package / Xenon headlight / Sport seats / Premium sound / DSC /
    2011 BMW X3

My Cars
    87 325is
    It would be better to rig the fan with a relay and thermo switch so that it only comes on when needed. Running the fan all the time just increases the load on the engine as the fan isn't needed or effective at speeds above about 35mph.

That said, with the A/C gone the aux fan should not be needed at all of the fan clutch on the engine driven fan is operating properly.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    Don't run it full time, it's not necessary and will burn out the fan. At the very least wire it up to a manual switch. Just remember to turn it on if it gets too hot. I would wire it up like it's supposed to be from the factory with a dual temp switch and low/high speed relays.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

My Cars
    86 porsche 930, 88 325is
    that was my thought. the fan should not be needed. check the cooling system. T-stat, have the radiator cleaned, fan clutch. verify the water temp.
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 86 PORSCHE 930
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 88 BMW 325is 200K+
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: 2000 MERCEDES E320 WAGON
    [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:99 GRAND CHEROKEE 160K::
    [_:_] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING: mazda B2200