Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ADS - INPA interface

My Cars
    BMW 528i -97
    Hello Guys!

I really want to thank Gert (rv8flyboy) for ALL his help.
    I've been trying different interfaces and many of them out there are "junk". Finally I founded Gerts interface / DIS installation and I bought his ADS / OBD Interface. I had a few problems in the beginning but Gert helped me and explained the things I asked for. That "DVD - Readme" file did really help me out and finally I'm running DIS. This was the first time I ever got contact with my E36 325i Coupe -93. I could only read a few modules with Inpa but now DIS is running and I can read my DME etc.

For me it is a "no brainer" if you want a problem free interface including a guy that can help you out if you have problems. Then you should not consider ANYTHING else than Gerts stuff. You can't save that much $$$ on buying at another place.. Gerts stuff is a hands down winner. PERIOD!!!

I'm running my setup at a stationary Dell computer.
    Windows XP SP3
    Has serial port so no adapters needed.

Just wanted to share my opinion!
    I know there are alot of guys out there with good experience and can setup everything easy. But for you (including me) that are not "computer hackers" this is the best buy..

Regards from Sweden
    Christoffer

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    got mine today, works perfectly with no issues... all that time wasted trying to get my cheapo interface working.... shoulda got one of these from the start!
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Unfortunatly its a learning process. I'm in the same boat. I wish I knew then what I know now. I'm building my own ADS adapter with the diagram from HansV. I just ordered the IC chip. It should be here the end of the week and with any luck I'll have it all put together and working by Sat night.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    Ladies& Gents

I found this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1772878

it talks about connecting pin 14 to pin 18 to provide programming voltage to the DME,

Is this something which would be useful to have done permanently (pin 14 to pin 18), or do the risks of accidental fubar'ing the dme outweigh the risks??

I could make an ADS-ADS adapter that would fit between the diagnostic connector and my 20 pin interface that would have a switch to connect these pins on demand?? Maybe rent it for the occasion it was needed??

Anybody know how BMW controls the pin 18 voltage??

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    due to lack of interest, comments, I have decided that for those who want this feature, i can add a small switch, however, going forward, I will not incorporate this as a standard feature.

My Cars
    2007 x5

Question Gert's ADS/OBD interface does it have D-can compatibilty

Quote Originally Posted by CrilleB View Post
    Hello Guys!

I really want to thank Gert (rv8flyboy) for ALL his help.
    I've been trying different interfaces and many of them out there are "junk". Finally I founded Gerts interface / DIS installation and I bought his ADS / OBD Interface. I had a few problems in the beginning but Gert helped me and explained the things I asked for. That "DVD - Readme" file did really help me out and finally I'm running DIS. This was the first time I ever got contact with my E36 325i Coupe -93. I could only read a few modules with Inpa but now DIS is running and I can read my DME etc.

For me it is a "no brainer" if you want a problem free interface including a guy that can help you out if you have problems. Then you should not consider ANYTHING else than Gerts stuff. You can't save that much $$$ on buying at another place.. Gerts stuff is a hands down winner. PERIOD!!!

I'm running my setup at a stationary Dell computer.
    Windows XP SP3
    Has serial port so no adapters needed.

Just wanted to share my opinion!
    I know there are alot of guys out there with good experience and can setup everything easy. But for you (including me) that are not "computer hackers" this is the best buy..

Regards from Sweden
    Christoffer
    Does your ADS/OBD Interface compatible with the D-CAN protocols used on BMWs from 2007 on the DCAN side of things.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by rv8flyboy View Post
    due to lack of interest, comments, I have decided that for those who want this feature, i can add a small switch, however, going forward, I will not incorporate this as a standard feature.
    so gert ur saying in ur adapter 14 and 18 arent connected i bought one not too long ago

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    pin 18 is not standard connected to pin 14. I have made this modification exactly one time as a trail and am trying to get the recipient to post his experiences

I hear reports that a permanent connected 14-18 will cause errors/warmings in INPA/DIS.

also, IMHO, if 14-18 is permanent, the risk increases that a glitch could damage or brick a programmable module unintentionally, after all there is a reason that this is a separate line, only active during programming.

and quite honestly, nobody in the last 3 years has asked or commented on this, my request for input from the group at large here in the previous postings went totally and utterly unanswered.

If u really want this mod, adding wiring, switch led, etc, you can mail your interface back to me and I can add a tiny switch for you for the cost of shipping and material. It would make you #2 out of the hundreds of units sold so far

My Cars
    1996 328i
    pin 18 is not standard connected to pin 14. I have made this modification exactly one time as a trail and am trying to get the recipient to post his experiences

I hear reports that a permanent connected 14-18 will cause errors/warmings in INPA/DIS.

also, IMHO, if 14-18 is permanent, the risk increases that a glitch could damage or brick a programmable module unintentionally, after all there is a reason that this is a separate line, only active during programming.

and quite honestly, nobody in the last 3 years has asked or commented on this, my request for input from the group at large here in the previous postings went totally and utterly unanswered.

If u really want this mod, adding wiring, switch led, etc, you can mail your interface back to me and I can add a tiny switch for you for the cost of shipping and material. It would make you #2 out of the hundreds of units sold so far
    im by no means mad or frustrated. i just assumed lol that it was connected to the board. i tried to sync ews and dme without 14 to 18 jumped didnt work . jumped them easy and it worked.but i believe ur right about the permenantly jumping them as i can no longer use the test functions of my guage cluster or my obc on my e36. and if u dont min ill put in the switch and led in the interface as im pretty good with sodering

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    I don't mind,

what i did was to solder an LED and 1.2K resistor between pin 18 and pin 19 and run a wire from pin 14 to the switch to pin 18.

i used a micro switch like RadioShack 275-626, micro miniature. This way I turned the existing switch 90 degrees and drilled two holes below, for the new switch and LED.

pin 19 is ground which is the center tab on the existing switch, pin 14 is the 12V solder tab behind the voltage regulator, so the only wire that needs to come around is pin 18. find a spot where there are no traces along the edge, and file a slot for the wire to come around from bottom to top.

My Cars
    1989 e30 340i V8
    Hi. I'm looking for a good diagnostic cable/interface for my m60b40.
    I have a v8 e30, the m60b40 is using a 404 DME. I need a cable that would allow me to see real-time data using whatever software it supports (there's still a lot for me to learn about all these interfaces/protocols). I've been looking all over the internets and I couldn't find a definite answer (it's easy for OBDII cars...). Is this what I should buy instead of some random chinese thing from ebay?
    Last edited by samis; 05-31-2012 at 02:14 PM.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    well, in the end it is going to depend on the capabilities of your DME and the software u are using as the interface just facilitates the connection between the car and the computer.

whatever your software throws at it, it will translate and pass on, it does not know or check, if it will make sense to your dme or not.

that pretty much goes for both the ADS and the OBD(II) interfaces

My Cars
    1989 e30 340i V8
    well, in the end it is going to depend on the capabilities of your DME and the software u are using as the interface just facilitates the connection between the car and the computer.

whatever your software throws at it, it will translate and pass on, it does not know or check, if it will make sense to your dme or not.

that pretty much goes for both the ADS and the OBD(II) interfaces
    Well I was hoping to match the software to this cable, since INPA is the most capable, correct? I've tried searching, but all the answers really just raise more questions. I'm still not sure which software is the best (CarSoft vs all the others), not sure what protocol it supports, not sure of almost anything and, as I said, I can't seem to find any real info. I'm pretty sure the 3.3 DME used with the m60b40 is capable of live-data, I just can't find the correct way of getting it. Those who know don't share anything and the internet is full of info about OBD2, which my car doesn't have yet. I need to fix detonation that occurs at low rpm/full throttle, or high load (fourth gear/~1200rpm and full throttle) - I'm pretty sure it shouldn't do that. Live data would certainly help, as it would allow me to see which cylinder is causing it. Well, thanks for your answer - I'll keep looking...

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by samis View Post
    Well I was hoping to match the software to this cable, since INPA is the most capable, correct? I've tried searching, but all the answers really just raise more questions. I'm still not sure which software is the best (CarSoft vs all the others), not sure what protocol it supports, not sure of almost anything and, as I said, I can't seem to find any real info. I'm pretty sure the 3.3 DME used with the m60b40 is capable of live-data, I just can't find the correct way of getting it. Those who know don't share anything and the internet is full of info about OBD2, which my car doesn't have yet. I need to fix detonation that occurs at low rpm/full throttle, or high load (fourth gear/~1200rpm and full throttle) - I'm pretty sure it shouldn't do that. Live data would certainly help, as it would allow me to see which cylinder is causing it. Well, thanks for your answer - I'll keep looking...
    Gert's interface works on the 484 and 404DME for M60B30 and M60B40, I used it on my 95 540i/6 a bunch and a 93 740i. DIS worked for both vehicles, INPA worked on a 484 DME M60 cars.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    1989 e30 340i V8
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    Gert's interface works on the 484 and 404DME for M60B30 and M60B40, I used it on my 95 540i/6 a bunch and a 93 740i. DIS worked for both vehicles, INPA worked on a 484 DME M60 cars.
    Oh, great then. I guess I'll contact him then.
    EDIT: Heh, can't PM anyobody yet. rv8flyboy, how can I purchase one of your tested cables?
    Last edited by samis; 06-09-2012 at 06:16 AM.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    well, one easy way is to go to interfaces4beemers.com and shoot me an email from there

or contact me directly at rv8flyboy at gmail dot com
    Last edited by rv8flyboy; 06-11-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1989 e30 340i V8
    Great. I'll do that as soon as I'm done with work today.

My Cars
    e30:332Te36:328ie90:335d
    I bought the INPA interface a few months ago. And it works great with my e36 through the 20 pin ADS connector for INPA and GT1 software. However now I am trying to use this through the OBD2 port so I can use it on my e46 to bleed the SMG system. I made the ADS to OBD2 adapter as per the instructions on this thread and the interface does work on both cars in INPA but does not work in GT1 for either car. Is there something else I need to do in order for this cable to work for the GT1? GT1 was set up as per randomys write up in this forum.

My Cars
    Too many to list!
    Received my cable from Gert Friday and got to try it out yesterday on my 96 328. Worked like a charm! If you need a ADS cable just pay up and order Gerts! It's well worth it!
    84 633CSi Auto <For Sale>
    85 325e 2dr 5spd
    86 325 2dr 5spd
    95 530i 5spd <Sold!>
    96 328is 5spd <Wrecked! >
    99 328is 5spd <Sold!>
    01 325ci 5spd
    08 Outback 5spd

My Cars
    Z3 1.9/Z3 M/Z4 3.0is
    Overwelming! I am new to this diagnostic deal and I see all those acronyms! i dont know where to start!
    basically, I have a laptop XP pro with serial port. I am looking for a diagnostic software package & cabling to feed a Z4 2008 3.0 is model. I understand the 2008 changed internal design of the OBD. My reader used on my Z3 m coupe 1999 is not working on the Z4 2008. What can I buy to run internal diags on that puppy to monitor sensors, reset any codes of any kind this car will through at me in the future, maybe disable the autolock doors. Mainly being able to decode faults so I can fix it myself? I saw ref to GT1, carsoft,....but all comments seems to relate to older model up to 2003 or 2004 model. what is there for the latest models?
    I bought a chinese device used to reset the inspection miles back to 15000 miles. seems to work but kind of crude with 3 buttons. and it is pretty primitive. Looking for something a little more sophisticated to reduce trips to the Dealer.
    thanks guys. much obliged

well, one easy way is to go to interfaces4beemers.com and shoot me an email from there

or contact me directly at rv8flyboy at gmail dot com
    Hi FlyBoy, you seems to be the most qualified on the subject.
    What do you recommend I run for a Z4 2008 3.0 is model. I have a Dell with XP pro, serial port. looking for a decent diagnostic program to decode, modify , reset and debug any codes this car can through at me. Can you help ? I not sure I understand all those acronyms i keep reading about this , like DIS , INPA, .... any litterature on the subject might help me understand better why I would need to access those and how.
    thanks
    Last edited by Stephane; 07-11-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    United State
    This Interface allows FULL diagnostic of ALL BMW's equipped with OBD1 20pin connectors as well as ALL BMW's equipped with 16pin OBD2 connectors that do not require DCAN yet.It can be setup as STD:OBD2 Interface in OBD2 mode or as ADS in ADS mode.This is a powerful tool that allows you not just to diagnose but also to reconfigure the vehicle, upload new software versions and go real deep in the car's subsyste.Only a fully ADS compatible interface can access all modules in certain 20pin OBD1 cars, to check if you have such a car please check the 20pin OBD1 diagnostic plug, if Pin15 is installed only an fully ADS compatible Interface will be able to connect to all modules in the car.

moving quotes
    Last edited by absmoving143; 07-12-2012 at 03:22 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddy View Post
    Received my cable from Gert Friday and got to try it out yesterday on my 96 328. Worked like a charm! If you need a ADS cable just pay up and order Gerts! It's well worth it!
    I have a 97 328 and I just got Gert's cable. Are you able to get it to auto detect your car in DIS? I cant get it to auto detect. It seems to work fine in manual detect but it would be nice if it could auot detect my car and modules.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I have a 97 328 and I just got Gert's cable. Are you able to get it to auto detect your car in DIS? I cant get it to auto detect. It seems to work fine in manual detect but it would be nice if it could auot detect my car and modules.
    Have you checked the output from your round 20 pin diagnostic port and made sure that the battery is fully charged and in good condition? This should help you check the output of the pins on the 20 pin port Carsoft Trouble Shooting Tips.pdf.

I have a Euro spec E36 328i coupe, built 12/97 and Gert's interface autodetects the car just fine.
    Last edited by David Mc; 07-12-2012 at 08:05 AM.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325 CiA
    Hi.

I've been trying to get INPA working with an ADS interface for the whole day, and with no success. It worked before just fine with modified VAG-COM KKL USB interface. I needed support for older cars as well so I thought buying an ADS interface would have solved the problem, but so far the whole things worth's been next to nothing. Hope someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I'm running Win XP Pro 32-bit on VMware under Win 7 and the laptop has a real serial port. The interface has both ADS and IGN lights on when I connect it to the round 20-pin connector under the bonnet with ignition on, and the IGN light goes off when I turn ignition off, so I guess the interface is working as it should. The problem is INPA keeps telling me that battery:on and ignition:off. Both receive and transmit buffers are set to 8 and I've selected to use FIFO buffers. Also ran the ADS setup from EDIABAS folder and made the changes to Ediabas.ini file. Is there something wrong with the setup or could the extension cable I'm using to connect the ADS interface in to my laptop cause the problem?

Interface:

Cable:

Ediabas.ini:
    ; Interface
    ; Description : Connected diagnosis interface
    ; Default = EDIC
    Interface =ADS

; RemoteHost
    ; Description : server address/name
    ; Default =
    RemoteHost = 192.168.68.1

; Port
    ; Description : IP communication port
    ; Value : 1000 < port < 30000
    ; Default =
    Port = 6801

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    i can auto detect ok on a 98 evo,my settings in ediabas are,

; Interface
    ; Description : Connected diagnosis interface
    ; Default = EDIC
    Interface =STD:ADS

dont know if it makes a difference but your doesn't have std: before ads.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast