Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ADS - INPA interface

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5

40Y8121 Lenovo ThinkPad Serial / parallel Ultrabay

If I had known about this product, I wouldn't have purchased the quatech card in the first place. All sources indicate this product uses native serial resources.

It's an old product, and so far I've not found any at suppliers with whom I am familiar. None on ebay, or amazon either for that matter. Does anyone have access, or suggestions where I might inquire? If I can acquire one, I will proceed in this direction. If this product works as it should- which is, as far as I can tell why it was designed, it will answer the problems associated with newer model thinkpads lacking a serial port.

This means we can utilize upgraded hardware, utilize ACPI, and whatever version of windows we choose- all the while accessing a true com port and ADS. In addition, wouldn't it also facilitate direct printer connection via parallel for DIS? (Not that it would be entirely practical, unless stationed on a workstation like the 'real' gt1 setup).

For emphasis- please look through your parts bins, and bookmarks: the 40Y8121 Lenovo Serial / Parallel Ultrabay slim may just be the answer for OBDI / ADS & Newish laptops.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    Mgoods50
    your post are too long to read for me, but am i right that your problem is u cannot set your pcmcia card to com1, irq 4 and 03f8?

If so you can try jarda patch as suggested by david. I am using that as well.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    Native resources??

as far as I know the T60 does only have an accessible serial port when in a docking station. Are u using a docking station??

if not, u still need a serial card for the T60, the Quatech comes recommended. With the utility posted by David, u can set the Quatech to other adresses.

I have used the quatech ssp-100 on T60 and T61 laptops, this weekend I installed one on a HP TC4400 tablet. I know this does not help u immidiately but it shows it is possible.

btw, my offer still stands when you are ready to call Uncle

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    I use ibm t40 and fujitsu, win xp.
    I use a china made cheap pcmcia-serialport card, and jarda patch. Work fine.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoods50 View Post
    If I had known about this product, I wouldn't have purchased the quatech card in the first place. All sources indicate this product uses native serial resources.

It's an old product, and so far I've not found any at suppliers with whom I am familiar. None on ebay, or amazon either for that matter. Does anyone have access, or suggestions where I might inquire? If I can acquire one, I will proceed in this direction. If this product works as it should- which is, as far as I can tell why it was designed, it will answer the problems associated with newer model thinkpads lacking a serial port.

This means we can utilize upgraded hardware, utilize ACPI, and whatever version of windows we choose- all the while accessing a true com port and ADS. In addition, wouldn't it also facilitate direct printer connection via parallel for DIS? (Not that it would be entirely practical, unless stationed on a workstation like the 'real' gt1 setup).

For emphasis- please look through your parts bins, and bookmarks: the 40Y8121 Lenovo Serial / Parallel Ultrabay slim may just be the answer for OBDI / ADS & Newish laptops.
    regarding availability of the quatech:
    i didn't have any problem finding them on ebay, amazon, or at various suppliers on the web. they are definitely available.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    good deals too on the 'Bay

picked up a SSP-100 for 25 bucks incl shipping!!!

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Gert did you just outbid me yesterday on that one.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    no I bought mine a few weeks ago

@Betaruce
    any progress testing my adapter cables??
    I ordered more parts from BMW but jeez, I think they have to mold each individual one by hand it appears
    delivery times appear like months.....
    Last edited by rv8flyboy; 02-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Some progress.

Utilized Jarda's program, this time acheived battery ON / OFF recognition in INPA. Interface attached, ign on, I can disconnect interface / reconnect interface and the program will acknowledge my actions. Nothing further, I assume due to IRQ not being correct - 18, instead of 4. Still can't manage to find a way to force windows into loosening it's grip on IRQ control. Remains "greyed out".

FYI, I am using the latest version of INPA / EDIABAS, which does not have the config line "interface= ADS". It includes "interface= OBD:ADS"

For reference, I've attempted changing PCI IRQ assignment in BIOS. It appears windows over-rides my wishes.

Is it possible to tweak the registry? I believe the version of INPA / EDIABAS wouldn't affect the communication with the interface, as it does recognize ign input. Further, I receive communication errors upon attempting anything further with INPA / EDIABAS.

Thoughts?

PS- sorry if I'm long-winded

@rv8flyboy:

I actually DID yell "UNC-" last night, but my pig-headedness stopped me from completing "UNCLE".
    Last edited by mgoods50; 02-01-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The latest version of INPA utilises EDIABAS v7.02, which does not support ADS interfaces. Try renaming your c:\EDIABAS folder to c:\EDIABAT then installing an earlier version of EDIABAS (such as v6.4.7), which does support ADS functionality. You can then correctly set interface= ADS and it will work with DIS provided you also set RemoteHost = 192.168.68.1 and Ports = 6801.
    Last edited by David Mc; 02-01-2012 at 06:39 PM.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Thanks David! I will try that asap and report! I've put countless hours into this overall, and really hope I can achieve success soon! I very much appreciate the assistance everyone has provided along the way!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    I am using jarda patch without irq 4 and still work

Rv8flyboy
    I am still waiting for local car gathering to test your cable in other cars. I will keep u updated

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    betaruce- thanks for that information. I am glad to hear that; it will keep me grinning on the way to the car later in the day (laptop in hand).

I've loaded earlier version of EDIABAS, per David's suggestions. I then installed DIS, and have it up and running (passing apitest). I have also ran INPA (not connected to vehicle) and it indicates neither ign, nor batt. Those are both positive things!

I believe I'll be smiling later today; I think I've got this troublesome laptop beat with my insane-- i mean enduring pursuit, and most importantly-- the help of everyone.

Will update after I attempt connection to the vehicle.

Hurray!

Working INPA, and DIS, utilizing the latest information available on this board. I did not have a lot of time to spend, but I did note INPA seemed to hang up when reading my DME. The DME is not original, and the chip is aftermarket. Thoughts?

I will put together an account of my experiences for others use. A guide would really be restating what has already been said. Perhaps a different perspective will help in clarification for someone.

My challenges lied in the ADS requirements, coupled with windows grip on resource allocation.

I am still interested in acquiring the bay adapter for my t60. If anyone has one, or knows where I could get one reliably, please advise. I would like to replace the quatech card, as it sticks out roughly an inch from the computer. The ultrabay slim parallel / serial port adapter fits snugly, flush, where currently my CD drive resides.

Now. . . to explore, and have fun!

Automerge keeps making my post longer

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO EVERYONE, AND FOR ALL YOUR ASSISTANCE.

I WOULD NEVER HAVE ACHIEVED SUCCESS WITHOUT THE RESOURCES HERE, AND THE INVALUABLE SUPPORT OF OTHERS!
    Last edited by mgoods50; 02-02-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e36 318is, e38 730d
    I think this needs to be said and repeated:
    If you use ADS mode, then the COM number and IRQ number DO NOT MATTER. The ADS driver writes directly to the address range starting at 03f8 and doesn't care about anything else.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    so what you are saying is that the software continuously polls for incoming characters??

I always thought it uses the IRQ to signal chars in the RX buffer

if it doesn't use an IRQ, why bother with it??

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    My son is putting a website together for me, on it are some of the manuals.

You will find a updated DVD Read Me First (PDF) file that contains useful information on setting up the virtual NIC, adding the Path variable and running the ADS and OBD set-up files.

You can find this document here: http://interfaces4beemers.com/downloads.html

My Cars
    BMWs
    If you are after a reliable ADS interface for your E34 look no further. I am extremely satisfied with the results achieved combined with my GT1 set-up!

Thanks Gert!
    Current: '88 E28 ///M5 Schwarz/Natur | '84 E23 745i Arktisblau/Biege | '95 E34 525iT S50/5 AlpineweissIII/Pergament | '11 E70 X5 Alpine/Savannah | '05 G55k Schwarz/Schwarz

Past: '83 E28 533i/5 Schwarz/Schwarz | '85 E23 745i Diamantschwarz/Buffalo | '95 E34 540i/6 Hellrot/Pergament | '00 E39 ///M5 SchwarzII/Schwarz | '15 RAMME 1500 4x4 Sport Weiss/Schwarz

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    Gert, i am atill here, sorry for not reply some time. I will meet with my friends soon to test the cable

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    I tested the cable adapter on a 2005 E90 and inpa works very fine!

however gt1 fail connection, but it can if i just use the ads interface. Any reason that you can think of? Just an isolated episode of gt1 failure, or the adapter could hv some problem with gt1 despite inpa work?

btw, anymore new development about your cable?
    btw your website looks nice
    Last edited by betaruce; 03-06-2012 at 05:02 AM.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    i should hopefully have enough parts to make 10 by mid next week

getting the pacman shells from Bee-eM-DoubleU is like asking for their first born, looong lead times, high prices.

The quest continues, I hope to be able to report the availability of the first 10 adapters next week sometime

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    Ok Gents & Gals

I have 9 pre-made ADS-OBD cables ready, price is $40 which includes shipping.

shoot me an email if u want one.

Don't wait too long as I don't expect to have them again till the beginning of May, it takes foreeeeeeever to get the pacman shells from BMW.

If you can me send your own diagnostics pacman shell and rubber boot from the junkyard, or however you obtained it) I will knock off $15 and rewire your shell with a pre-made OBD connector and new pins for the diagnostics shell

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    hi all dont miss the chance esp if you already have gert's ads interface

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Good day all,
    Just a little update on my successes, all of which can be attributed to the wealth of knowledge and generous support of you all. . .

My t60 / quatech / Gert ADS interface is sensational, working like a champ. Due to my car's age, (1995) I cannot utilize auto-identification through DIS. I did not realize this beforehand; perhaps this will be of assistance to someone later searching google.

I have relocated the ADS diagnostic port to inside the cabin, currently below the glovebox. That darn round plug seemed smaller until I moved it into the already cramped space there. It's just too darn big! I planned to put it in the glovebox, but real estate there is pricey; I already have a parametric eq, and SPAL PWM fan controller, as well as reserved space for the V1 when it is not in use. The port was just not gonna fit, period.

I am interested now in retrofitting a serial port onto the plug, and running a short length of cable into the glovebox. I wont hack up Gert's work of art, that would limit my ability to help someone out by hooking up to their car, and it would also be a crime against all that is good, so I have to devise an adapter of sorts.

My Cars
    1997 316i compact
    I have succesfully set up Inpa and Dis with Gerts interface on a brand new HP Probook 6560b 4GB/320GB with native serialport and running Win 7-32.
    Works like a charm and have access to all modules on my E36 316-97
    I bought this new laptop last week, put me back about $700.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast