Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ADS - INPA interface

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    I finally may have a source for female 20 pin connectors and am trying to convince a company to make me Female 20 ADS to 16 pin Male OBD adapters.

These would allow my compact interface to connect to the OBD port, if neccesary. I am hoping to get these so I can offer them for 25 or 30 bucks.

what kind of demand is out there for such an adapter?? I probably have to buy in lots of 50 or 100 pieces.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    rv8flyboy
    I will be the first one to buy the Female 20 ADS to 16 pin Male OBD adapter!!!
    please keep us updated!!

i think the adapter is really a must to make the your cable more complete
    now the cable only works with older cars with the 20pin socket, which is under-use of the cable
    i am really looking forward to it, and I believe everyone who have bought your cable would agree.

is there an approximate time that the adapter will be a/v?
    Last edited by betaruce; 10-30-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Finally i bought from ebay an ADS & OBD interface, but now i need an RS232 extension cable to connect the interface in the computer. Anyone can tell me what is the correct pinage?

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    my supplier withdrew his offer, now says he cannot find the female adapter

anybody have an alternate source for the 20 pin connector under the hood??

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    actually are there lots of "20 pin connector under the hood" a/v in junkyard?
    i guess no one would buy this part from old cars, so there should be tons of them?

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    yes, that is where i got mine from, hence the write-up

problem is, there may be 1000'nds but they are spread out over a large country

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    I have ordered some 20 pin female connectors straight from BMW, I will mate those with the OBD connectors I have and see how it looks, I will post some pics here when parts arrive.

I am also approaching some oversees mfgs for supplying molded OBD connectors to mate with the BMW connectors

The weak point will be the fact that the BMW connector will have a rubber booth rather than a hard shell with strain relieve.

I do agree with Betaruce that it would be a boon to have this adapter.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    good news rv8flyboy!

BMW do provide that 20 pin female connectors? in the shape+wires like what we obtain in the junkyard? and how much do they cost?

and what is the difference of the "molded OBD connectors" compared to the 16pin male socket shown in your tutorial?

I believe your interface receive good response as shown in this thread and the positive review written by someone, just that sometimes this part of the forum may not always have so much visit therefore causing the delayed reply

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    And i have just been informed that BMW has a problem shipping/providing the connectors till next year...... january or february. I guess if they even vaguely look like they could work I better by a bunch of them

the difference in the OBD connectors is that in the posting example you (or me) have to solder the wires to the OBD connector. In the molded application that is taken care off which makes for a much more durable connector as the strain relief will be integral to the wire coming out of the connector. Also, buying a separate OBD connector, separate wiring, spent the time assembling, etc costs way more than having an outfit make a short run molding connectors and wires.

my thought was to crimp terminals onto the wire ends and insert them in the 20 pin BMW diagnostics shell. That would save a lot of time.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by rv8flyboy View Post
    I have been asked about an OBD adapter for my ADS-OBD interface.

here is a relatively cheap way to make your own adapter.
    Ingredients:
    1: 20 pin diagnostics socket from the junkyard
    2: OBD connector such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-II-2-OBD2-OBDII-EOBD-J1962-Male-CONNECTOR-DLC-PLUG-/370227445669?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5 633467fa5
    or
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Universal-OBD2-16-Pin-Connector-OBDII-EOBD-OBD-/130483994127?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item1 e6173be0f
    3:Some protection for the wiring. I used some 'snake skin' type covering from an old computer power supply.

Remove the unneccesary wiring from the diagnostics socket. Slide the 'Snake skin' over the wires.

solder to the OBD plug. Presto, you have made your own ADS to OBD adapter.
    (as opposed to the OBD-female to ADS-male adapter one can buy on eBay etc.)

pin-out:
    ADS ---OBD
    7 ---- Not Connected on OBD
    20 --- 7
    17 ----8
    15 ----15
    16 ----1
    19 --- 4+5
    14 ----16

My diagnostics socket did not have pin 17. However, my ADS-OBD interface has pin 17 and 20 already connected. I just jumpered pin 7 and 8 on the OBD connector.
    I just built one of these last week and it didn't work, until I soldered the ADS pin 15 to OBD pin 9. This was tested on an 2002 X5 and worked perfectly after that. Pin 15 to pin 15 did not even light up any of the lights on your interface.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    And i have just been informed that BMW has a problem shipping/providing the connectors till next year...... january or february. I guess if they even vaguely look like they could work I better by a bunch of them

the difference in the OBD connectors is that in the posting example you (or me) have to solder the wires to the OBD connector. In the molded application that is taken care off which makes for a much more durable connector as the strain relief will be integral to the wire coming out of the connector. Also, buying a separate OBD connector, separate wiring, spent the time assembling, etc costs way more than having an outfit make a short run molding connectors and wires.

my thought was to crimp terminals onto the wire ends and insert them in the 20 pin BMW diagnostics shell. That would save a lot of time.
    really looking forward to your adapter
    i have thought of making one myself but i am not familiar with electronics
    so i would rather buy a tested and functional adapter from you

so btw is there any explanation to DUDMD's problem?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by betaruce View Post
    really looking forward to your adapter
    i have thought of making one myself but i am not familiar with electronics
    so i would rather buy a tested and functional adapter from you

so btw is there any explanation to DUDMD's problem?
    It might have been the ground wire connection bad at the OBD2 plug, since when I was relocating pin 15 to pin 9, I redid the ground. It was soldered it on there pretty good before I resoldered it.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    So u mean it is the ground wire problem instead of the wrong site of pin soldering?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    So u mean it is the ground wire problem instead of the wrong site of pin soldering?
    Might have been, even I will relocate pin 9 back to 15 and see if it still works.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    A quick search failed to bring up the function of Pin 9 on the OBD connector

All info points to Pin 15 on the ADS side to coincide with Pin 15 on the OBD side.

There are 2 pins that are grounded on the OBD side.

I have no explanation as to why moving to pin 9 made it work, unless indeed the ground was flaky, the fact that NO lights lit up may bolster the grounding explanation as at least the power led should have illuminated as this has nothing to do with pin 15 on either connector.

David Mc outlines grounding problems and pin-out here too:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7&postcount=33
    Last edited by rv8flyboy; 11-28-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW X5
    rv8flyboy, what is the difference between your interface which I am tempted to buy and the carsoft one that I have? I am using it on an x5 2000 (has both ADS and OBD) and 5 series 2003. thanks
    Last edited by fmugur; 11-28-2011 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    These interfaces are designed specifically to work with INPA/DIS/PROGMAN, I own several different types of ADS interface and these are top of the range. You will feel the difference in quality as soon as you have one in your hands and I have found them to perform flawlessly. You can read my review here:- http://www.repairdynamics.com/Rv8flyboy_Review.pdf

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    I would think that endorsement from David and Myself would be all you guys need.

But Im nobody special.

(but I do buy 2-3 a month)
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 11-29-2011 at 03:38 AM.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    and i definitely think adding the 20pin female to 16pin male adapter would make it perfect by allowing it to diagnosing wider range of cars

My Cars
    BMW X5
    OK, you convinced me.

My Cars
    1987 RX7 2+2
    A quick search failed to bring up the function of Pin 9 on the OBD connector

All info points to Pin 15 on the ADS side to coincide with Pin 15 on the OBD side.

There are 2 pins that are grounded on the OBD side.

I have no explanation as to why moving to pin 9 made it work, unless indeed the ground was flaky, the fact that NO lights lit up may bolster the grounding explanation as at least the power led should have illuminated as this has nothing to do with pin 15 on either connector.

David Mc outlines grounding problems and pin-out here too:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7&postcount=33

I've got pin 9 on the OBD 2 connector as TD signal (engine RPM) which should be pin 1 on ADS
    Fast Track '09
    NJ S.T.E.P
    . 35 - the cake is a lie

What do you call a BMW on a flatbed?
    -Maintenance interval.

Zoom - Zoom
    Forever

My Cars
    BMW X5
    OK, just to clarify.
    For ADS (20 pin connector under the hood), this is the best interface but for OBD it's still work in progress.
    Am I better off with the VAG KKL for OBD or the 20 pin female adapter to OBD will do the job?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by fmugur View Post
    OK, just to clarify.
    For ADS (20 pin connector under the hood), this is the best interface but for OBD it's still work in progress.
    Am I better off with the VAG KKL for OBD or the 20 pin female adapter to OBD will do the job?
    you may say so

the 20 pin female to OBD adapter may not be available till Jan/Feb according to previous post by rv8flyboy (maybe rv8flyboy can also update us on that?)
    but you can still use his interface on car with ADS

of coz it depends on which socket your car have
    for my car, i have both 20pin and 16pin socket
    i can use his interface with the 20pin under the bonnet BUT in OBD mode (not ADS mode)

obviously
    the new supplement 20 pin female to OBD adapter would make the whole thing perfect

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    you may say so

the 20 pin female to OBD adapter may not be available till Jan/Feb according to previous post by rv8flyboy (maybe rv8flyboy can also update us on that?)
    but you can still use his interface on car with ADS

of coz it depends on which socket your car have
    for my car, i have both 20pin and 16pin socket
    i can use his interface with the 20pin under the bonnet BUT in OBD mode (not ADS mode)

obviously
    the new supplement 20 pin female to OBD adapter would make the whole thing perfect
    Most cars up to 2000 have a 20 pin connector under the hood, the obd2 converter works on 2000 and up, since they stopped the 20 pin diagnostic connector around that time.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 3.0i
    My 2000 z3 got both, obviously becoz its the transition period.
    Also it use obd protocol even i connect with the 20pin socket (and it has the 15pin installed which theoretically it should be ads mode)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast