Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ADS - INPA interface

My Cars
    FIT
    Hi I have easydis and pass APItest,have not connect to a car.Can I use the ADS,OBD interface from a clone GT1 ?

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Is gerts 20 pin to 16 pin obd adapter k + dcan?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE
    So am i thats why i ask... I want to be able to connect to newer cars with my d610 with serial port. Dont i need a k + dcan cable for the 16 pin obd port since theres no 20 pin. I have a 20 pin to 16 pin adapter i got from gert and havent tried it yet and was wondering if i can use it to connect to newer cars. When i say newer i mean like 2003+...

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    D/K CAN are USB to 16pin. So Im trying to figure out how your gonna try n use it.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    D/K CAN are USB to 16pin. So Im trying to figure out how your gonna try n use it.
    Oh, well, ummm... I dont know... Kinda new to this whole idea. How do i connect to 2003+ then, sir ICE? Can i just use this 20 pin to 16 pin obd adapter using inpa? I want to play with my buddys 645... And neighbors 2003 3 series... And maybe other neighbors m6 if possible...
    Last edited by purplecty; 10-16-2012 at 09:16 PM.

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    With a D/K CAN interface...or a MOST.

But this isnt the thread for that....

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    With a D/K CAN interface...or a MOST.

But this isnt the thread for that....
    Sorry ice!

My Cars
    1997 bmw z3
    Hi all
    I am using the ADS cable and installed the software from the disc into a desktop computer which have a real serial port. The ADSsetup.exe is run. I connected the ADS head to the car, switched the selector to ADS (near the line), and double check the ediabas.ini is ADS. Using Inpa to check the car, I cannot connect to instrument cluster but DMA, airbag is fine such like using a OBD to ADS convertercable behavour . Would you give me some advise what steps I missed to cause it not function my problem? P.S. My car has only 20pin round only.

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Oh, well, ummm... I dont know... Kinda new to this whole idea. How do i connect to 2003+ then, sir ICE? Can i just use this 20 pin to 16 pin obd adapter using inpa? I want to play with my buddys 645... And neighbors 2003 3 series... And maybe other neighbors m6 if possible...
    Your cable will work on cars up to a build date of 03/2007, after that you need a D CAN cable.
    1996 320iC: leather, full elec hood, hard top, auto-dim, sport, revised front grilles, rear head rests (in storage now)
    2006 630i SMG Sport: Sapphire black met, creambeige leather, SMG gearbox, 19' Style 218 alloys, heated sport seats, Sport trim, Dension iPod interface, factory Bluetooth, Xenons, Sat Nav/CCC retrofit, LM2 retrofit, Digital TV retrofit, reverse camera, Homelink/Compass mirror retrofit, etc.
    2007 M6: Sapphire Black Met, Indianapolis red leather, TV, adaptive headlights, HomeLink, HUD, Dension iPod interface, Tracker, Logic7 Top HiFi, much more ....V10
    2004 Mini Cooper S: 15% pulley, remap, r56 brake conversion, modified intake, and more!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter

Your cable will work on cars up to a build date of 03/2007, after that you need a D CAN cable.
    Which years stopped using 20 pin and switched to 16 pin? Are you saying I can use gerts cable and his 20 pin to 16 pin obd adapter for up to 07?

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Which years stopped using 20 pin and switched to 16 pin? Are you saying I can use gerts cable and his 20 pin to 16 pin obd adapter for up to 07?
    In '00/'01 some e39s had both the round 20 pin conector under the bonnet & the 16 pin OBD port under the dash.
    Just to not that not all round ports are the same thing, physically they are alike but cars like e38, e36 & e34 use an ADS protocol, the cars immediately after this (like early e46 & e39) use OBD1 protocol despite having a physically simila connector.
    1996 320iC: leather, full elec hood, hard top, auto-dim, sport, revised front grilles, rear head rests (in storage now)
    2006 630i SMG Sport: Sapphire black met, creambeige leather, SMG gearbox, 19' Style 218 alloys, heated sport seats, Sport trim, Dension iPod interface, factory Bluetooth, Xenons, Sat Nav/CCC retrofit, LM2 retrofit, Digital TV retrofit, reverse camera, Homelink/Compass mirror retrofit, etc.
    2007 M6: Sapphire Black Met, Indianapolis red leather, TV, adaptive headlights, HomeLink, HUD, Dension iPod interface, Tracker, Logic7 Top HiFi, much more ....V10
    2004 Mini Cooper S: 15% pulley, remap, r56 brake conversion, modified intake, and more!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter

In '00/'01 some e39s had both the round 20 pin conector under the bonnet & the 16 pin OBD port under the dash.
    Just to not that not all round ports are the same thing, physically they are alike but cars like e38, e36 & e34 use an ADS protocol, the cars immediately after this (like early e46 & e39) use OBD1 protocol despite having a physically simila connector.
    My e38 has both round 20 pin and in dash obd 16 pin port. Its a 98(obd2) so i use obd and not ads... So again, youre saying my 20 pin cable from gert along with his 20-16 pin adapter will work for up to 2007 and under? Everyrhing after is d/k can?

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    if u have both a 20 pin round and 16 pin OBD, the general consensus is to use the 20 pin, even for OBD operations. there are some postings here explaining why i believe, but the short story is that it appears some cars with both have neutered 16 pin connecters, not all signals implemented or correctly implemented. But this is purely info from previous posts

My Cars
    E36, E46, E90, E92
    The L- and K2-lines are not always wired to the OBD port. Since the OBD port is officially only needed for Carb diagnostics, often only the DME and EGS units are wired (i.e. the K1 line).
    You don't have this issue with the 20-pin diag connector. All the lines (K1, K2, L), if present in the car, are always wired to the 20-pin diag connector.

My Cars
    99 328is, 84 M54 E30
    Props to rv8flyboy. I was having similar issues on my e36 with the dual k lines and not being able to access all the components. Picked up one of his serial - ADS supercables and made my own ADS-OBD adapter.

End of the day, I have had 0 issues and am able to access everything on my e36, including the elusive ABS/ASC module via inpa and dis (going through ADS on the e36 of course).
    PM me for info on properly working AC and CEL for your S54 or M54 swapped car.

My Cars
    2007 M6 Vert

Smile Just say YES to the ADS roundness

I have been connecting to E38s with a GT1 Diag Head using the round cable...without issue...for ALL modules...

I have tried my 750iL, and 3 740iLs and the round ADS connector is the only one I have had reliable and predictable communications with.

My GT1 Head finally died so I have gone big-time with the complete daig solution from Brian E. (and he endorses rv8's cables as well).

I just ordered a set of pre-built cables from rv8flyboy because of his reputation and track record for providing simple and reliable cables.

Just order them...

My Cars
    97 BMW Z3 2.8, 06 Mini S
    I am planning on ordering one of Gerts cables but was just wondering, I had ordered a carsoft cable to be able to read my fault codes in both my abs and airbag system (both my asc and airbag light is lit) in my recently purchased 97 Z3 2.8 howeven my carsoft cable (purchased from carsoftwest) will only read my Dme and airbag module and will give module not responding if I try to single scan or full scan any other module yet it will read every module in a friends E46. My question is, will Gerts ADS cable be able to access my ABS/ACS module (abs light is not on btw) or is there some other way to access it ? and also why have I read in the Z3 section of people scanning pretty much every module with a carsoft interface (same year Z3's) yet my cable only reads two modules?. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I can't answer the issue with carsoft. I gave up on trying to get it to work correctly.

Gerts cable and INPA will allow you to access all modules through the 20 pin connector. If your car has both 20 pin and 16 pin connectors you can only access the DME though the 16 pin connector. The 20 pin connector allows you to access ALL modules including DME, ABS, SRS, Auto Tranny and any others you have. If your car only has the 16 pin connector you can use Gerts cabel but you'll need an adapter or you can pick up an inexpensive K/D can cable on ebay.

Gerts cable is absolutey worth every penny I spent on it. Once you get INPA up and running you can use Gerts cable and install DIS to further your knowledge and do some coding. E36's offer very few coding options but I was able to use DIS to get my digital climate control to display in F instead of C and I was able to use DIS to recode my car after a auto/manual tranny swap so all warning lights turn off.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 12-01-2012 at 07:16 AM.

My Cars
    97 BMW Z3 2.8, 06 Mini S
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I can't answer the issue with carsoft. I gave up on trying to get it to work correctly.

Gerts cable and INPA will allow you to access all modules through the 20 pin connector. If your car has both 20 pin and 16 pin connectors you can only access the DME though the 16 pin connector. The 20 pin connector allows you to access ALL modules including DME, ABS, SRS, Auto Tranny and any others you have. If your car only has the 16 pin connector you can use Gerts cabel but you'll need an adapter or you can pick up an inexpensive K/D can cable on ebay.

Gerts cable is absolutey worth every penny I spent on it. Once you get INPA up and running you can use Gerts cable and install DIS to further your knowledge and do some coding. E36's offer very few coding options but I was able to use DIS to get my digital climate control to display in F instead of C and I was able to use DIS to recode my car after a auto/manual tranny swap so all warning lights turn off.
    Thanks for the info. I just completed payment for Gerts cable and look forward to finally being able to see why my traction light won't go off, lol. Also I have both the 20 pin and the 16 pin (I am able to scan the dme via the 16 pin but never tried any other modules via that connection. I am just getting my PC set up to run INPA and waiting patiently for my the correct cable for the task apparently to arrive .

My Cars
    97 BMW Z3 2.8, 06 Mini S
    Got my cable very quickly and worked perfect on my 97 2.8 Z3. Thanks Gert and thanks flyfish for the recommendation.
    Last edited by FormulaLT1; 12-09-2012 at 11:47 PM.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990

Do i have a deal for you

ALL 3 HAVE BEEN SOLD, THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen

I have 3 aluminum housed interfaces available for 150 dollars each. Shipping is a flat rate 10 dollars.

Each will come in a small handy aluminum case containing 3 cables: a RS232 serial cable to connect to your computer, a 20 pin ADS cable and a 16 pin OBD cable.

This is the very interface that David Mc tested in his review, available on his website here: http://www.repairdynamics.com/Rv8flyboy_Review.pdf and is 100% pin compatible with, and functionally equal to, the venerable and much sought after Fister interface of yesteryear.

In the spirit of the upcoming Holidays I will throw in 3 DVDs. One containing EDIABAS and INPA which are copies of my directories, as well as a VMware image of DIS44, the other two DVDs contain a VMware image of ProgMan. The EDIABAS directory contains all the versions of ADS32.DLL that I have collected so far.

Please keep in mind that I do not support this software. I provide these As-Is. Excelent support for these software packages can be found here on BimmerForums.
    Info on the first DVD is available on interfaces4beemers.com, look for the DVD Readme First document.

At this point I have 3 sets left and when they are gone, they are gone, so hurry up!!

You can email me at rv8flyboy at gmail.com if you would like to buy one of these 3 sets!!

Last edited by rv8flyboy; 12-28-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: All sold

My Cars
    2007 M6 Vert
    Arrrgh!, Just missed this!
    I picked up your standard cables recently....and I have been very impressed....

But...Wow!...nice kit!

Anyone wanting a "FINAL SOLUTION" to their interface woes should jump on this offer.

It is refreshing to see top-notch hardware still being developed and offered for our Bimmers...

WE deserve it....and YOU deserve props for your hard work and quality products.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990

my website down

my website interfaces4beemers.com appears to be down

I received a message that my domain has expired, yet it should be valid till at least the end of February.

We are now trying to move it over to a new/better web host but are having problems moving the domain name as the current host says they can't/won't relinquish till the end of February and then there is a 60 day wait before it can be reissued, or so they say...

You can still directly contact me at rv8flyboy at gmail dot com....

Hopefully this will be resolved soon!!!

As a work around for now, one can go to : http://interfaces4beemers.weebly.com/or find us at http://www.interfaces4beemers.net/

How flipping difficult can it be to switch the .com URL back on....

Last edited by rv8flyboy; 01-05-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: alternative access found

My Cars
    1998 740iL DM23842
    Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    I have been connecting to E38s with a GT1 Diag Head using the round cable...without issue...for ALL modules...

I have tried my 750iL, and 3 740iLs and the round ADS connector is the only one I have had reliable and predictable communications with.

My GT1 Head finally died so I have gone big-time with the complete daig solution from Brian E. (and he endorses rv8's cables as well).

I just ordered a set of pre-built cables from rv8flyboy because of his reputation and track record for providing simple and reliable cables.

Just order them...
    First post long time lurker.

This was the post that put me over the hump to invest the time and money for a more detailed diagnostic capability for my 1998 740iL. Ordered the cable from rv8 last week. The ADS round cable came in this week and I was diagnosing my car this morning.

The cable works great.

It looks like my fail safe transmission problem is an output speed sensor. Getting the DIS software running took a little time but I did it. Version 6.0.5 did not work had to go with player and then with 6.5 both player and 6.5 worked.

I have also converted the GT1 flat file to oracle virtual box which is free by first converting it to a .bin file using an online program and then converting it to the virtual box format. Google found all the steps for me. I have it running on a Oracle virtual machine on windows 7 but it does not have a serial port so I can not connect it to the car to fully test it.

Thanks to the posters on this forum for the detailed information and Gert Rv8 for a great cable.
    Last edited by 250K740il1998; 01-07-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Changed XP to Oracle.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast