Thread: something sounds loose, as soon as i apply the brake, it stops

My Cars
    94 bmw 325i

something sounds loose, as soon as i apply the brake, it stops

is this something common on e36? i could only hear it when im going 15,20 mph it sounds like something is loose, its coming by the back left tire. if i apply the brake lightly, the noise goes away. i thought it might be the brake pads, maybe the lil pin fell of or something, but its there.

any opinions?
    thanks in advance

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Check the anti-rattle clips, I lost one of my outer ones and had a similar symptom.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2006 RX8 1998 328i Sedan
    Either rattle clips or the Caliper could be loose.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I had the same problem. It turned out to be the rear pad next to the piston was loose. I couldnt tell until I actually pulled the caliper off. There are a lot of other causes too. The rear also has the E brake pads. Could be something on that too.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I had the same problem. It turned out to be the rear pad next to the piston was loose. I couldnt tell until I actually pulled the caliper off. There are a lot of other causes too. The rear also has the E brake pads. Could be something on that too.
    Applying the disc brakes wouldn't necessarily cause an E brake noise to stop.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    '92 325is, '11 128i
    Advice: Jack the car, remove the wheel and check if everything is there and tight.

My Cars
    94 bmw 325i
    thanks for the responses guys.
    that sh** is embarassing when youre passing by, ppl look at u and the car sounds like a lemon..lol

My Cars
    hoveround
    I've also had small rocks get trapped between the shield and the back of the disc and do everything from rattle to squeal and go away and come back. Another place to look if the other tips don't fix it.

My Cars
    94 bmw 325i
    ok so i reached the back break pad thats behind the disk on yhe back wheel.and i could move it with my finger.. how do i make that tight?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    The brake piston is hollow and there are three tabs on the back of that pad that act like springs to hold it in place against the piston. Most likely one or more is rusted off. Slide the part that holds the pads towards the outside pad as much as you can and see if all three are still there. Just look down the back side of that rear pad. they come straight out from the back of it. Better yet just replace the pads if they are even close to worn out.

My Cars
    94 bmw 325i
    thanks for thee quick response... ill check again
    the pads are new. just changed them about a month ago

EDIT
    just looked under the car.. the shield seems to be bent towArds the inside. dont have time to work on it today.. u guys think that might be causin the rattle?
    Last edited by JE BMW; 04-11-2010 at 07:19 PM.