Thread: Do S50b32s suffer rod bearing failures? Whats a spun rod bearing sound like?

My Cars
    E36 M power

Do S50b32s suffer rod bearing failures? Whats a spun rod bearing sound like?

i was driving my s50b32 on the highway and was cruising at 6k for little bit. Then i started hearing a horrible ticking sound getting worse. Wasn't downshifting or anything just in 4th humming along. Pulled it over and it sound horrific so i had it towed home.

The noise increases with the rpms. To me it sounds like its actually coming from the top of the second or third cylinder. Like somethings hitting the valve cover. Pulled the cover and saw nothing. Could it possibly be as simple as a valve adjustment?

But honestly the tapping noise is so loud it could be anywhere. From under the car it sounds like its coming from the block and from above it sounds like its under the valve cover.

What are the symptoms of spun rod bearing, whats it sound like? The car felt fine and i didnt feel a dramatic loss in power at all.

The noise is so bad it sounds like something is seriously wrong thats why i cant really see it as just valve clearance problem. Also i thought they slowly go out of spec not all the sudden.

Are the evo b32s prone to rod bearing failures? I know the early S54 were.

So my next step is a compression test but the spark plug threads are smaller and don't fit my compression tester. So tomorrow I will be looking for an adpater that works. Does anyone know what size adapter i will need.

I put 7qts of mobil 1 0-40 in during the oil change. Is that the right amount with the stock oil cooler? Maybe low oil level is a contributing factor.

Also whats the specs the valves need to be at when checking the clearence when COLD ? Will S14 shims work on the b32?

I took a video of it on my phone but i cant attach a 3GP file on here.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by BOOYAHH; 04-08-2010 at 04:50 AM. Reason: typos

My Cars
    Turbo Euro Spec E36 M3
    Sad to hear this and hopefully it won't be a big end bearing but based on what you have explained it does sound like a big end knock.

Remove your oil filter and have a good look at it/inside the filter for bearing material. If you spot anything shiny or any bearing material in there it is a big end failure.

You can try disconnecting the power supply to one ignition coil at a time and see if the knock is audibly less. If it becomes less, then that particular Cyl/Big End is the one knocking.

When big ends let go I believe its Cyl number 5 that lets go first as I have seen this first hand in someone else's B32 that had a big end failure on the track.

Good luck.
    Euro Spec E36 M3. Built engine, Carrillo Rods, JE Pistons, SuperTech Stainless Int/Inconel Exh Valves, SuperTech Double Valve Springs, APR Head and Mains Studs, GT35R Turbo, Tial 44mm External gate, Custom Intake manifold, Autronic SM4 with Vanos control, Twin intank Walbros, Injector Dynamics Injectors, 566rwhp (Mainline Dyno) at 20psi. More boost to come once stronger spring fitted to W/Gate. Engine built and tuned by me......

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    It can be a defective oilpump a well. Ever hear an euro S50 run without oil pressure? It's like vanos rattle but just about 30 times louder. The sound actually comes from the vanos then.

When a bigend goes at 6000 RPM it usually ends up with a big gap in the engineblock and major enginedamage. You could have them inspected though, it's not a very big job pulling conrod bearings.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    E36 M3 euro 3.0
    I am sorry for your engine. This is expencive thing.

Spun rod bearing is nothing extraordinary with this engines. They should be replaced every 100kkm, especialy if engine is driven hard.

Piston to head clearance is very thin with this engines and you probably hear piston hitting the head. It is hitting the head because there is too much "play" on bearing. You can be sure if you remove the oil sump and inspect bearings, but if you are not exactly mechanic you can remove spark plugs and check pistons. Take stronger flashlight with focus and rotate engine by hand (push in gear) to lover each piston to lowest point. Check top edges of pistons (highest point). On the cylinder that was hitting you will se clear aluminum without carbon deposits. There is also a chance that something fell into cylinder (happened to me) and edges hammer it into the head. You will se small spots on pistons if that is the case.

Hope for the best

My Cars
    '95 M3 S50B32

OIL Pressure Gauge

Sure sounds like a bearing. This why I like having lots of gauges in a car; even daily drivers. Oil pressure gauges are very useful for detecting changes in pressure before you have a failure.

Just out of curiousity, did your oil pressure light come on?