Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heater Core Replacement (also Cabin Filter Replacement)– Late E36

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 M3
    great thread, thank. going to attempt replacing mine soon.

My Cars
    1998 323is
    Helluva write up Hammer!
    and Joshh, good tip on the 3 aluminum tube bolts,
    you just have to get down and personal with them
    I just replaced mine, what a feeling of accomplishment for me
    I thank you, my chiropractor thanks you
    I WOULD indeed wish this DIY on my worst enemy!!!

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Has anyone had any leaks from over tightening the 3 bolts on the heater core flange? Many thanks to Kevlar for an awesome diy. Btw I was not successful in removing the box cover without removing the dash and everything else.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    How do you put the climate controller in manual mode? I Have a 1996 325is and don't see that option on the controls. Thanks.
    Last edited by shogun; 04-12-2021 at 11:27 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318ti,2004 525
    Hello ben j,

I wrote that and did that and don't remember how to put the climate controller in in manual mode! I have since sold the car so I can't go figure it out, so strange how these things slip away....

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Bimmerbobster, Oh well, looking at mine, I think it's a different unit. Maybe only has manual mode.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Amazing write up! I'm no master tech, but will be tackling this real soon. Just bought my 93 325is yesterday for very little money. Heater core is spraying atifreeze onto the windshield... dead giveaway. Before seeing this post I checked the labor rate for this job... damn expensive. This will be much better than removing the whole dash. Thanks a buch OP!!! You may have saved me a lot of extra headaches as well as money!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Hello there, for the early E36 like yours, I think it's easier if you take out the dash. There are metal bars that go across the front of the car which also go in front of the heater core. To take out the heater core, I'm not sure how you'd do it without taking out the dash. I just did mine on a 94 325is a month or so ago. As long as you know where all the screws are located, it shouldn't take more than a day. I didn't take the best of notes the whole way through and ended up having to take a number of thing back out a few times...dash twice. There really aren't that many screws holding the dash in and it makes it much easier to get the new heater core lined up with the pipes so they seal well. Please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to be available by phone while your doing the heater core exchange if you get stuck. I took probably 70+ pictures while doing it which I could share on google+. Best of luck.
    Last edited by shogun; 04-12-2021 at 11:29 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    How would i know if i need this done? I dont have antifreeze leaking anywhere nor do i smell it ,but i have no heat and my car temp does rise a bit. Would this also be a sign that i have to replace my heating core?
    Last edited by shogun; 04-12-2021 at 11:29 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318ti,2004 525
    If you have no heat the first thing I would check is the thermostat. It can 'go soft' and not let the car warm up completely, then the hot water circulating through the heater core is not hot enough to heat the air flowing through the core and you have no heat. I suppose you have a temperature gauge, it should be in the middle after about 5 minutes of running, or you can get a diagnostic computer and it will read out the exact coolant temperature. Next I would check the heater control valve, make sure it is opening and letting hot water flow to the heater core. Finally in the past the core may have been leaking and someone bypassed it, took it out of the circuit for flow of water through the heater hoses, a cheap fix for the leak but leaves you without heat since no water goes into the core.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    BMW Heater Core Replacement, 1994 325is Coupe, by David LaBarreare, ImportCar, August 2001 recovered with the wayback machine
    http://web.archive.org/web/200806161...ic/ic80136.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    328i
    How do you test heat control valve?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    check for continuity, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJtR8p1ez0
    BMW E31 E32 E34 Heater Valve Test and Troubleshooting, same applies for E36 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHAspLZQoE

My Cars
    1992 325i
    I'm about to do this... Any recommendations? Can you send me a link to the steps you used please?
    Last edited by shogun; 04-12-2021 at 11:33 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    see page 1, post 1 the detailed file attachment.

My Cars
    1998 318iS
    Thanks so much for posting this! Mine's a right-hand-drive (i.e. drives on left side of road) 98 318iS. Heater sprang a leak (massive overheating, had to keep topping up to get home, I bypassed the heater hoses) about 6 months ago. Finally got round to tackling the job.
    I read the Haynes manual, a PDF of the Bentley manual, several Youtube videos, and this PDF. They all differed on the details. This PDF is by far the most accurate (allowing for the differences between LHD and RHD). Many thanks for that! I've attempted to video all my efforts and if successful, I'll try and post a video on Youtube.

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    I have a manual 1995 325i convertible and I’m leaking coolant out of this drain hole in the center of the car. This is under the shifter/center console area. It slowly drips once the car warms up a bit and pisses out fast when it’s hot from sitting in traffic. It seems to go faster when I turn the heat on but once it’s hot it comes out either way. Does this mean my heater core is bad or something else? I’m assuming this is some sort of drainage tunnel meant for when the heater core is leaking. Thanks for the help.

43BDEF78-A746-4430-ACCE-B0C0DAEE8142.jpg

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    That is normal, that are the drain holes for the moisture from evaporator https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...aporator-Drain
    if you do not have to refill coolant, all is fine. Water is dripping on ground when A/C is used. The aircon evaporator tray drain tube can also leak into the floor area if the drain tube is either blocked or not fitted correctly into the tray.

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    Yeah that’s what I’m saying I’m losing all my coolant through here I have had to refill it several times. Which has just been with water at this point till I get it fixed. No moisture has been coming through the cabin until yesterday when I felt a little wetness on the carpet on the sidewall coming from under center console/climate control area. And steam started coming through the vents yesterday too when it overheated.
    Last edited by tyler1395smitj; 07-30-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12