Thread: Windshield washer fluid sprayer is not spraying... ideas?

My Cars
    325is w stuff done

Windshield washer fluid sprayer is not spraying... ideas?

windshield washer fluid sprayer is not spraying...

I have tested the pump and its good...

I barely sprayed when I first got the car...

I tested and I dont seem to be getting ground to the connector

ideas?
    cars:
    1986 325e 4 door, auto.... its my dd
    1991 735iL... just got a new engine... getting a bunch of euro-stuffs...

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    Is it not spraying at all? Like does the pump even run?

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6
    try disconnecting the lines under the washer jets and see if they work... i have heard of the washer jets plugging up, but you have to be really careful when you clean them. they are heated and if you stick a wire inside too far, it will wreck them.

now if the lines don't spray, they could either be plugged or leaking somewhere. you would pretty much have to follow the lines around and inspect them.
    1994 BMW 740I E32: SOLD
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    It is relatively easy to disassemble the spray nozzles completely, I did that last year and cleaned the up. Then I kept the nozzle tip in high concentrate vinegar for a day or so to clean the tips.

There can also be cloggings by twisted/bended hoses. Or the connector (snap on type) on the tank is completely clogged by dried up detergent. Found that out last year when I used cheap rinsing liquid which clogged the valve.
    Easest way, if pump works, disconnect the hose from next connection point, if it sprays there, close it, move to the next connection and so on till you get to the spray nozzles.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    325is w stuff done
    ok the pump have a wire that is HOT (+) at all times when the car is on...

but it does not have a ground connection...

if I manually jump the pump to ground it will spray but the wipers will automatically turn on...

but when I pull the switch inside the car the wipers move but no spray...

what fuses/relay controls the sprayers? why does it interupt the ground wire and not the hot wire?
    cars:

My Cars
    1996 BMW 740iL
    Mine has two pumps, one in the engine bay washer reservoir, and the one in the bumper, The one in the bumper doesn't seem to be working. I think the one in the engine bay just pumps water into the 2nd reservoir in the bumper while the washer motor in the bumper feeds the lines the washer fluid. Is this right? I disconnected the engine bay washer motor to see if the washer motor in the bumper will activate, but it doesn't which leads me to think the motor is dead or something.

My Cars
    325is w stuff done
    Well I have checked lots of stuff... fuses, GM, relay, RM... I am at a loss

Shogun what ideas do you have from post #5?

New information:

I have found that if the head lights are on I can get my headlight/foglight sprayers working... now I realy dont care about the headlight/foglight sprayers...

so why does my main sprayer not work?
    Last edited by MRcomputerMAN; 04-06-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    cars:

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    pump works, and if you give direct power to the pump it sprays?
    Then I would check the switch/lever contacts on the steering

My Cars
    325is w stuff done
    isues is resolved... thank you guys... it looks like the wrong connector was connected to the pump......
    cars:

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    check the connector to the pump. Usually they have clips which break off, then the connector slips off. Also the plastic surround around the pin breaks, when that breaks the pin retracts in the connector and there is no contact to the pump. Same is with other connectors. A temporary fix is to put tape around the pins and insert them again into the plug and fix them then properly, in the end it is best to replace all these with new cables with pins which you can buy from the dealer.
    http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...2_5_mm_system/
    #10 for example fits on the brake fluid level sensor, the wash water level sensor and some other parts
    http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...lug_terminals/
    in reality it looks like this then on the left side, see the clip http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/ret2.jpg
    Last edited by shogun; 02-19-2017 at 05:15 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    heated windshield washer spray nozzle disassembled, for info, can be cleaned when clogged
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    nice
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.