Thread: groaning power steering

My Cars
    '11 328i, '08 328xi

groaning power steering

i'm guessing i won't like the answer, but...

my PS is groaning all the time - a low moan, if you will, which increases in volume/pitch if you turn the wheel to the left or right. the PS reservoir is full.

so... is it likely i need a new $400 PS pump? or are there other things that would cause this type of sound (belt, hoses, filter, etc.)?

mine's an '01 325i with about 120k on it. very well maintained (inspections I & II every 30k). in fact, i just had inspection II and no mention was made of the pump - but the sound just started last week.
    2008 328xi Sport Wagon 6-speed, sport package

My Cars
    e36 97 328i/e30 90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bscepter View Post
    i'm guessing i won't like the answer, but...

my PS is groaning all the time - a low moan, if you will, which increases in volume/pitch if you turn the wheel to the left or right. the PS reservoir is full.

so... is it likely i need a new $400 PS pump? or are there other things that would cause this type of sound (belt, hoses, filter, etc.)?

mine's an '01 325i with about 120k on it. very well maintained (inspections I & II every 30k). in fact, i just had inspection II and no mention was made of the pump - but the sound just started last week.
    Have you been taking turns and corners in your car at top speeds lately or even turning your wheels on a corner very sharply and breaking very very quickly to where u have almost locked up your breaks or here them grinding? I have had the same problem you have had in my E36 what you need to do first is just shut your car off and let it sit for abut 40 minutes to an hour that turn it back on and when you take off to your next destination take all corners extra slow and such. After doing this your car should be fine again, that is what i did to mine. Now it is back to its normal ultimate drving machine standards.
    Last edited by Dominic321; 04-03-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    E36 1997 328i Hardtop Convertible
    Nexen Bosh Bilstein NGK Powerflex LLumar Sony Pioneer Infinity

My Cars
    '11 328i, '08 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic321 View Post
    Have you been taking turns and corners in your car at top speeds lately or even turning your wheels on a corner very sharply and breaking very very quickly to where u have almost locked up your breaks or here them grinding?
    not at all, actually.
    2008 328xi Sport Wagon 6-speed, sport package

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    the pwr str pump are junk on these cars. i have replaced them with 10k miles and than at 150k miles. i would just drive it until the pump dies. most of the time the input shafts breaks, not necessarly a pump noise, but i have heard them make noise.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Start by changing the power steering fluid.

You can either disconnect the banjo bolt on the hose and drain from below, or just siphon out the reservoir with an old turkey baster and refill the reservoir - each day (after driving of course) over the course of a week.

My Cars
    BMW 330i
    Small Power steering leak on one of the hoses. I put $1,000.00 on E Baller money on that...

My Cars
    e36 97 328i/e30 90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bscepter View Post
    not at all, actually.
    Wait before we go on anymore about this thread have you fixed the problem yet or do you still have it? Ill definitely try to help.
    E36 1997 328i Hardtop Convertible
    Nexen Bosh Bilstein NGK Powerflex LLumar Sony Pioneer Infinity

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    I have had a similar problem recently, sometimes when i start the car (cold) I get some moaing from what sounds like the pwr steering pump, but after about 10 min of driving it disappears. I'm very confused. Any luck pinpointing the problem?

2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon | BC Racing Coils | VMR VB3's | Coby Wheel |
    (I Loan Valve Adjustment Tools! PM me...)

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    I've had the same problem for years! Have not replace the pump. I will try the turkey baster. The biggest problem is in freezing weather there is no p/s until I drive a few hundred feet, probably circulating the fluid. OK, I'll change the fluid. I'm not sure about the groaning anymore, but may just be used to it. Thanks

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    +1 on draining and replacing the power steering fluid. BTDT on another much older Bimmer and it worked a charm. I tried topping up, changing the PS filter in the reservoir, etc. and no joy until the drain and change.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    You know, BMW 'power steering' almost does not even exist...BMW sells ROAD STEERING cars...BMW hates power assisted steering...and I don't blame them. Did you really believe BMW would develop and enhance 'power steering' for their cars?.....Seems to me if they did they would have spent more time and money to develop 'problem-free' stuff...yet they did not!................My 68 Chrysler Town and Country wagon, now a 50 year old...and never a power steering issue!

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Try this out: