Thread: Motor Identification

My Cars
    96 M3

Motor Identification

I am getting a 95 M3 motor/tranny and wanted to know if there were specific ways of identifying each. Are there serial numbers that always start with certain characters or is the S50 designation on the block and head somewhere? Is there a specific ecu # I should look for on the ecu? Are the markings on the tranny also, so I can make sure it is the M3 tranny? Thanks a lot for the help.

Craig

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    if you're getting a complete drive train, the vin number is located on the back end of the cylinder head. On the tranny it's located on the driver side.

do a carfax...and u can tell where the motor originally come from.

also on the block see pic...the block ID should be on there...ie 3 0 (the # of Liters...if it's a 3.2L..it will be 3 2 )

the number above are the partial numbers of the vin number.

this block came out of my 95 M3

it's located on the driver side ie dipstick side...slightly above the dipstick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M3Jokster; 10-24-2003 at 02:35 AM.
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan

this is where it is located

the block you are seeing here is a 3.2L block...should be the same for the 3L.

BTW. a 3L block (obd1) wll not have the rear crank sensor. only obd2 does. ie 3.2 or 2.8L
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M3Jokster; 10-24-2003 at 02:36 AM.
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me