Thread: depo headlight alignment/adjustment

My Cars
    1997 e36 328i

depo headlight alignment/adjustment

sorry for being dumb...i just install a depo headlight on my car...everything is working fine...but i cant align the headlight straight...i know there are 2 adjustment..1 in the middle and 1 by the corner light..can anyone tell me which one is for vertical and horizontal?
    do u turn it clockwise or counter clockwise?
    the light looks like this / /
    which is suppose to be like this --
    anybody help me out....thanks

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Knob by the corner light is horizontal, the inner is vertical.

As far as I remember, the horizontal one, clockwise is to move it left (when looking from inside the car).

Best way to do this is: park the car next to a vertical wall, mark center of the headlights on the walls, back up 25 feet (make sure its flat ground), then cover one headlight at a time and adjust the one that is not covered ... you will be able to see what moves what; aim a little below the marked spot as far as vertical and right at the marking horizontally

My Cars
    98 328i - Sierrarot Meta
    the light looks like this / /
    i guess you don't know the european uptick... the lights might've already been aligned properly.

go to danielstern lighting and read the aiming guide.

hint: for horizontal aim, the distance between the center of the projector and the center of the car (bmw badge) is around 22-22.5 inches. for vertical, measure the distance from the ground to the center of the projector then minus 2.5-3 (3 is supposed to be spec, the / / shoots the beam up!)

98 328i 4DR
    Sierrarot Metallic (Paint Code: 357)
    AA Gen 3, Eurosport Conforti Intake, M50/S52 with specific Shark Injector, X-brace, Bilstein Sports/H&R Sports for M3, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, UUC Swaybarbarian, E39 M5 OEM lip spoiler, Polished LTW wheels, TSX retrofit, Lubro Moly, Pentosin and Ate fluids

My Cars
    1997 e36 328i
    thanks guys..i did the adjustments...
    also, i replaced all the high and low beam fuse to 20 amp, is that ok or is it too much?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by alddie620 View Post
    thanks guys..i did the adjustments...
    also, i replaced all the high and low beam fuse to 20 amp, is that ok or is it too much?
    BMW put 7.5 amp fuses in there for a reason: because the wiring can't take a much higher load, and the fuse is there to prevent it from burning up in case the current draw is too large. If you have to have a higher rated fuse, do not go over 10amps.

Mind if I ask why you're putting in higher rated fuses in anyway? If your lights work fine, there is no need for that.

My Cars
    1997 e36 328i
    i read it from other thread that if u change to 20 amp fuse there's a chance that u don't get a lbf code..which i didn't get that code...should i put it back to 7.5? or 10 amp is enough?

My Cars
    1992 325is, 1987 M6
    Thought I'd crack this thread back open, because I have a question about aiming Depo headlamps for an E36 which has not been touched upon in all the forums I have tried.

I have the headlamp housings aimed so that the low beam pattern is where I want it. The high beam on the left side is close to correct, but could be a little higher. The right side high beam points way too low.

There must be a way to adjust the individual beams, not just the entire housing. But I have yet to find documentation on how this might be done.

Does anyone have any information on this?

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    If you read that link.....

The high beam is NOT aimed.

You aim the low beam.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    Bmw
    Hi all
    I have a bmw 520 e39 make of 2003 with normal headlights (not xenon). I wish to change the headlights to Depo xenon ones. Does any one know if depos come with an automatic adjuster (leveler) similar to the one in the original headlights?
    Thanks ahead
    Last edited by Mutasem; 03-15-2019 at 03:55 PM.