Thread: Navigation Update to 4-1/20 Complete

PB_M3 is offline Open cockpit ///M3 pilot
    My Cars
    '04 ED 330i ZHP

Navigation Update to 4-1/20 Complete

I was able to find a copy of CloneCD and burm the image that Evil_M3 sent me yesterday. After burning the image I went out to my car and put the cd into the computer drive(in the trunk) then turned the key to the first position. Screen displayed "Software CD in drive" "Press Ok to load new software." I pressed Ok. "This process may take up to 6 min. Don not...blah blah blah..." A status bar came up and progressed along. About 1.5 min. later, "Complete. Remove CD and comfirm by pressing OK." I removed the CD loaded the map data DVD and pressed OK.

After the system rebooted, I searched and searched around for any differences and could not find any... Finally after not finding any differences I clicked on the "Monitor Off" button and the whole screen turned off. In the past it would have turned all of the pixels in the LCD black and left the backlight on. Now, it even turns off the backlight. Looks much better at night now.

Maybe there are other differences, I just have not noticed them yet.
    "If I were flying my plane, I'd be there already"

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I tried the upgrade ...I get an invalid CD/DVD error. I'm going to try and burn it again at single speed and see what happens.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '04 ED 330i ZHP
    what program did you use to burn the CD? must use that prog that I sent you. Click burn from HD and select the .ccd file.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by PB_M3
    what program did you use to burn the CD? must use that prog that I sent you. Click burn from HD and select the .ccd file.
    That's what I did... I burned the image directly from the ccd file. I went out the car, put the disc in, turned the car on... got a invalid CD/DVD error and it spit the disc out.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '04 ED 330i ZHP
    try again, burning at single speed. if that does not work I will send you the CD that I used.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    ok, many thanks.

My Cars
    '04 ED 330i ZHP
    Also, make the .img, the .sub and the .ccd files are all in the same folder that you burn the .ccd from.

My Cars
    2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Grey
    The Nav is picky like that. Have to burn it at no faster than 2X and if that fails, down to 1X.
    2002 M3 Coupe Topaz Blue/ Grey
    2006 Z4 3.0si Alpine White, PREM, SP, NAV, Heated Seats.
    2006 X3 3.0i Silver, Sports, NAV, PREM, COLD
    2008 328i Coupe, NAV, Tech, Prem, Cold

My Cars
    '04 ED 330i ZHP
    I spoke with kev, he did get it to work.

What improvements have you noticed?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Yeah, it didn't like the 8x burn. I tried to reburn at 1x ... the computer didn't like that. It refused to burn it at 1x. I tried burning it at 4x, that one worked. Got the upgrade done.

Mind you, I got scared outta my mind when the screen was blank for a few seconds. I was like great... fried the NAV computer. It was just in the process of rebooting.

My Cars
    '04 ED 330i ZHP
    Same thing happened to me. Those 20 seconds of black screen seemed like an eternity.

"All is well that ends well."

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Is the upgrade for DVD based Nav or can it be used for CD based Nav? Any new discoveries on differences in software?
    2002 E46 M3 SMG
    SS Headers
    SS Free Flow Cats
    SS Connecting Pipe
    ACS Muffler
    TMS Pullies
    PSS9 Coilovers
    Eibach Swaybars
    Gruppe M Intake
    Brembo F&R BBK

My Cars
    '04 ED 330i ZHP
    This CD will wor for both the CD and DVD based navigation systems.

A few differences that I've noticed:

1. In half screen the map an 400ft zoom, the map scrolls flawlessly. Almost like a movie.

2. I noticed a few new symbols for intersections. It displayed a really funky 5 way intersection the other day. Matched the intersection perfectly though.

3. There are a few new phrases that the ladys voice uses now.

4. When navigating to a place you now not only get the upcoming turn graphic arrow but also an overall arrow pointing to your final destination.

5. Coolest of all.....when you press "monitor off" the backlight now also turns off. Great for sitting with your girl with the radio on watching the stars with the top down.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    What I noticed...

It took me a different route to work and some of the intersection diagrams are much more detailed.

My Cars
    '04 ED 330i ZHP
    I agree, the intersection detail is much improved now. Did you notice the faster refresh rate of the maps?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Refresh rate seems faster too... 400ft seems very smooth. I tried it while I was driving today on the highway and it was very smooth.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I want new software!!!!!!
    2002 E46 M3 SMG
    SS Headers
    SS Free Flow Cats
    SS Connecting Pipe
    ACS Muffler
    TMS Pullies
    PSS9 Coilovers
    Eibach Swaybars
    Gruppe M Intake