Thread: E34 HID projector retrofit?

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram

E34 HID projector retrofit?

I am hoping to install an HID kit on my 1993 525i. I understand that I should not simply put in a HID kit, but should but actually get HID projectors/Headlamps.

I can only seem to find the Halo/Angel eyes ones though. And I dont want that. Are Euro Smiley Project headlamps for HID use or only normal Halogen bulbs?

Such as:

http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...HT-HL-EUR.aspx

or
    http://www.hidxenonlights.com/1989-1...adlights-p-611

or

http://umnitza.com/umnitza-projector...yes-p-291.html

Or would I need these for HID bulbs? They look like Halos though.

http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...HT-HL-CHR.aspx

Last edited by darrenforeal; 03-30-2010 at 12:01 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    You can put HIDs in stock projector housings.

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    93 should have US 9006 Projectors. Do your low beams have a little nipple like in 87shark's sig pic?

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Alpine99 View Post
    93 should have US 9006 Projectors. Do your low beams have a little nipple like in 87shark's sig pic?

no they don't. I think they were replaced by the previous owner at one point.

BTW what are the ones with the 'nipple' Euro Smileys? How are those different?

Quote Originally Posted by 87shark View Post
    You can put HIDs in stock projector housings.

Most people I have spoke with say that you can but it is not a great idea because the headlamp is designed for a halogen light not HID and the beam is different.
    Last edited by darrenforeal; 03-30-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    So you have sealed beam headlights?

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    So you have sealed beam headlights?

no, you just can replace the bulb easily.

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    What bulb does it take?

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    What bulb does it take?
    9006 and 9005 I think. I think the 9005 is the high beam

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    If you have projectors your headlights should look like this. HIDs will work in the stock ellipsoid projectors.

If not you have free form headlights. Do not run hids in these cause you will blind everyone.
    Last edited by 87shark; 03-30-2010 at 05:02 PM.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    If you have projectors your headlights should look like this. HIDs will work in the stock ellipsoid projectors.

If not you have free form headlights. Do not run hids in these cause you will blind everyone.

Ok excellent. That was the answer I was looking for. My headlamps don't look like. Those are Euro Smileys ya? That is why I was going to buy some before I ran HID.

The free form projectors would be these?
    http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...HT-HL-EUR.aspx

BTW...The HIDs in that car, are those 5000k or 6000k? Who makes the most reasonable brand of HID with the ballasts?
    Last edited by darrenforeal; 03-30-2010 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    The headlights are just regular us spec ellipsoid projectors. I believe they stopped putting them on the e34 from 91-93. The HID kit is DDM 55w 5000k.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Get a set of stock US projector headlights from a 89-90 or 94-95 car and then swap the actual projectors with something like S2000 ones (should be fairly easy, they're about the same size).

I had HIDs in stock US e34 projectors and it was nothing to write home about; better than halogens, yes, but really, still pretty weak.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Get a set of stock US projector headlights from a 89-90 or 94-95 car and then swap the actual projectors with something like S2000 ones (should be fairly easy, they're about the same size).

I had HIDs in stock US e34 projectors and it was nothing to write home about; better than halogens, yes, but really, still pretty weak.

So the S2000 projector will fit perfectly into the housing? What year S2000? Have you done this? Or can direct me to a place that shows what you are talking about?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    I have not done it, but it is widely known that s2000 projectors are probably the best HID projectors out there, and looking at them, they seem to be about the same size so I don't see it being particularly hard to swap the projectors given that you probably wouldn't have to cut anything as far as the metal shield goes and what not.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    I have not done it, but it is widely known that s2000 projectors are probably the best HID projectors out there, and looking at them, they seem to be about the same size so I don't see it being particularly hard to swap the projectors given that you probably wouldn't have to cut anything as far as the metal shield goes and what not.

Interesting... I found this website that looks promising. Its juts a matter of finding the right projectors that fit. S2000 ones are probably expensive because they are the best, but this website seems like it would have everything one needed.

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/

I suppose I do have another question. No doubt an ignorant one... Why do people want the Euro Smileys? What is the damn difference between them and the US Ellipsoids?

The US ellipsoid headlight for the low beam are around $130 to $150 a light. ****!!
    Last edited by darrenforeal; 03-30-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    I think the euro smilies had better light output, and people just want them cause they were not offered over here like clear corners, euro tags etc.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    I think the euro smilies had better light output, and people just want them cause they were not offered over here like clear corners, euro tags etc.

Gottcha, makes sense. I'll probably get those because I can two complete sets for around the same price as two US headlamps.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram

I spoke with some guys that do a ton of retrofits and they said that there is really no good projector that fits the E34 headlamps I was hoping to fit in the S2000 or TSX. Oh well, looks like no HID for me. But I will investigate to see if there is a way...

I guess ill spend that extra money on smoked smileys if i can find them

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1393875 He does not have any smoked ones but he gets new parts all the time.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5
    A little expensive, but Abrahams Motorsports has a good rep for Hella's. Bar none, the best quality headlight available in both smoked and non.

Oh, and if you look at my sig you can see what free-form lights look like.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfStrong View Post
    A little expensive, but Abrahams Motorsports has a good rep for Hella's. Bar none, the best quality headlight available in both smoked and non.

Oh, and if you look at my sig you can see what free-form lights look like.

ya i have checked those out and they are pretty damn expensive. I know the Hellas are better quality than Depos or knock off smileys on ebay for $170 for a new set, but can you really tell? And is the light projection that much better? I mean for $300 I better be! What do you think?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1393875 He does not have any smoked ones but he gets new parts all the time.

Cool thanks for that!
    Last edited by darrenforeal; 04-02-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    bmw duh
    noob PWNED

My Cars
    1984 318i, 1998 M3
    Okay, heres what you need to know. You have free form lenses, which have no projectors. You do not need euro-spec lights, most people want them cause of the euro part and they have city lights, but since you're coming from free forms, its a good idea to just get the smilies. Many people run the DEPOS without issue, so I would suggest getting those. Secondly what you could do is, go to a junkyard and find some us spec projector bulbs, nothing wrong with those and they'll be Hella, or Bosch. After you get projectors, you are ready to get an HID kit. I recommend checking out DDM tuning. Do not worry about swapping projectors before you even have them! The stock projectors are fine, just make sure you pick a good HID bulb. Then later, you can see if you wanna upgrade the projectors.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525iA
    Sorry to dig up an old thread guys. But I've been meaning to upgrade the headlights on my 95 525i. I have a MKIII Supra on which I've done a projector retrofit. I used to daily drive that thing and got WAY too used to the HID/Projector headlights, the stock halogen projectors is just not cutting it for me. I saw on another forum ( I think it was HIDPlanet?) where someone retrofitted a TSX Projector into the stock ellipsoid headlight. Apparently that person was selling them at that point in time a few years ago. Anyone know if that person still sells them? Because I wouldn't mind purchasing a set.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I have a low beam HID retrofit kit in my E32 750 since 2006, no problem at all.
    But nowadays - more than 10 years later - I would go for LED from original H1 in my Euro spec E32. LKM Modification For LED Exterior Lighting https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...3#post29998123
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!