Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BMW 7 Series audio Install

My Cars
    00 740il (Its Long)
    Nice work, PM sent.

My Cars
    G37, FX35, Aztek, Miata
    Replied

Worked on the kick panel yesterday, going to clean up with some more bondo and sanding. than wrapped. The trunk and hod release are difficult to work around.

Car is going to be done and going back on Thursday so stay tuned.
    Last edited by bigaudiofanatic; 03-30-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    bump
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    G37, FX35, Aztek, Miata
    Tomorrow the car will be returned, getting a full detail before it leaves and a final tuning. The plexi glass when it arrives I will come and install it at his house.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    good for you men
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    G37, FX35, Aztek, Miata
    Got the dice harness wire re ran for analog audio.

Wrapped the left kick and trimmed out for the release button and hood release.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    dude that awesome
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    G37, FX35, Aztek, Miata
    Had a quick idea for the bass control knob.

anncam is offline BMW = Broke My Wallet BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    95 740IL, 04 Linc LS
    Very impressive young man. Great work, excellent craftsmanship. If only I still lived on the east coast. You would definitely being doing some work for me.

It's mind over matter.....
    If you don't mind then it really doesn't matter.

My Cars
    01 740i Sport
    great work, attention to detail and thinking all the way thru the process.
    JOSHUA J. HAYES
    S E A T T L E, W A.
    2001 BMW E38 740iA Sport
    1974 Mazda Rotary Engine PU

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Hey bigaudio, I've got a question for you. I'd like your suggestion for replacing speakers in the stock locations w/o the need for custom made kick panels like you've made. I'm trying to keep everything concealed.

Currently I have an MTX 81000D running an RE Audio 12" which is firing forward through the skibag hole and is ported to the rear. I'm going to have the same friend make another box (this will be out third) that I was thinking of having ported through one or two of the four openings on the rear shelf, once again so it doesn't look like it has an aftermarket system and I'll still have a usable trunk. I'm quite happy w/ my current sub setup, but I'd like a better box that is ported into the cab instead of the trunk to provide even more bass. What do you think.

My biggest question to you is for all the interior speakers. Currently I have an 4 channel amp (forget the details of it) running all the mids and highs, running the stock speaker and using MB Quart crossovers. Overtime, random speakers have or we're already blown. When I rewired eveything, I wired the rear tweeter in the door to run as a reduced mid so it doesn't peirce my ears since I'm 6'4" and my seating positions puts the speaker right there. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars in speakers for my car because I wasn't actually too disappointed w/ using the stock speakers. Can you recommend me a nice and decently priced (around a few hundred, but please no more than like $400-$500 TOPS) setup that would suffice for someone like myself? I've always thought that I'd have to try and find speakers for the tweet and mid area that we're the same size, but that has been harder than I thought. Making kickpods is out of the question for me, not only for knowing someone who can do it, but I'll have even less room on the drivers side since I'm converting to a 6spd, so I'll have a clutch pedal in the way.

I'm rambling now, so can you give me some advice. I've used MB Quarts in the past and like really bright highs (always loved old Too $hort stuff ), but I'm open for changes based on whatever you suggest.

Thanks. Outstanding work btw. Today was my first experience in fiberglass while modifying an X5 stock sub enclosure so I can install a Kicker L5.
    Last edited by m5james; 04-01-2010 at 01:23 AM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    PERFORMANCE:JB4 w/ meth, stage 2 tune, wrapped downpipes, custom intake
    INTERIOR:AVIN 10.25" screen, Blackvue 550 dashcam, 7" tablet for JB4 logging
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci
    PERFORMANCE:Single mass flywheel, ///M3 clutch
    EXTERIOR:Z4///M staggered 18's, rolled fenders, tinted markers

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    M5James
    Please post pics of your System
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    I took pics of the system in my M5 for Mark Cranswick years ago when he was writing a book about the 5 series, which can still be found on Amazon. It has an Alpine CVA1005, PSII, MB's all around...otherwise mostly stock.

He's now writing a book on the X5's, so he's asked me to send pics of that as well. Currently it has an AVIC F90BT, WiFi card to make the internet function and I've upgraded the Windows ME software and GUI so I can browse Internet Explorer as long as I have a signal. I'm still remaking/fiberglassing the factory sub enclosure to change it from dual 6's to a Kicker L5. Once again, I'm trying to go stealth and I since the X5 is now the family commuter, the stock sub location will have to do. Once I get the box finished, i'll take pics for both Mark and for this thread I'm looking forward to hearing how the L5 will sound.
    Last edited by m5james; 04-04-2010 at 12:54 AM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    G37, FX35, Aztek, Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    Hey bigaudio, I've got a question for you. I'd like your suggestion for replacing speakers in the stock locations w/o the need for custom made kick panels like you've made. I'm trying to keep everything concealed.

Currently I have an MTX 81000D running an RE Audio 12" which is firing forward through the skibag hole and is ported to the rear. I'm going to have the same friend make another box (this will be out third) that I was thinking of having ported through one or two of the four openings on the rear shelf, once again so it doesn't look like it has an aftermarket system and I'll still have a usable trunk. I'm quite happy w/ my current sub setup, but I'd like a better box that is ported into the cab instead of the trunk to provide even more bass. What do you think.

My biggest question to you is for all the interior speakers. Currently I have an 4 channel amp (forget the details of it) running all the mids and highs, running the stock speaker and using MB Quart crossovers. Overtime, random speakers have or we're already blown. When I rewired eveything, I wired the rear tweeter in the door to run as a reduced mid so it doesn't peirce my ears since I'm 6'4" and my seating positions puts the speaker right there. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars in speakers for my car because I wasn't actually too disappointed w/ using the stock speakers. Can you recommend me a nice and decently priced (around a few hundred, but please no more than like $400-$500 TOPS) setup that would suffice for someone like myself? I've always thought that I'd have to try and find speakers for the tweet and mid area that we're the same size, but that has been harder than I thought. Making kickpods is out of the question for me, not only for knowing someone who can do it, but I'll have even less room on the drivers side since I'm converting to a 6spd, so I'll have a clutch pedal in the way.

I'm rambling now, so can you give me some advice. I've used MB Quarts in the past and like really bright highs (always loved old Too $hort stuff ), but I'm open for changes based on whatever you suggest.

Thanks. Outstanding work btw. Today was my first experience in fiberglass while modifying an X5 stock sub enclosure so I can install a Kicker L5.
    If your looking for smooth sounding speakers look at the image dynamics XS series. The tweeters have a very nice warm and relaxed sound and the woofers have plenty of power. If you are not liking the bass you are getting I might recommend going to a sealed box for tighter more accurate bass. MB quarts is good but not like they use to be. If you had other questions I did not see them kind of got lost in your message. Als0 my apology for the wait. I have been very buys the past couple of days on other installs.

Installs here Posts #218-221
    http://caraudio.com/forum/new-jersey...e-know-15.html
    Last edited by bigaudiofanatic; 04-04-2010 at 11:14 AM.

My Cars
    95 e38 2002 e46
    Awesome Job so far can't wait to see the finally product!

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by joes95740 View Post
    awesome job so far can't wait to see the finally product!
    me 3
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Quote Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic View Post
    If your looking for smooth sounding speakers look at the image dynamics XS series. The tweeters have a very nice warm and relaxed sound and the woofers have plenty of power. If you are not liking the bass you are getting I might recommend going to a sealed box for tighter more accurate bass. MB quarts is good but not like they use to be. If you had other questions I did not see them kind of got lost in your message. Als0 my apology for the wait. I have been very buys the past couple of days on other installs.

If this is the average price of the XS series http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories, that is definately too deep for my budget if that's what a single pair will go for. I'm not set on any brand, I've just liked MB's in the past. Sadly, I'm not surprised that quality may have com down...everything being made in China, so we never really know what we're getting anymore. I'm just looking for general advice and/or maybe links to component/co-axial sets that in your opinion would work well w/o the need to make custom pods and can fit within a budget of say around $500 tops, if that's even possible. So far my biggest issue is still finding a way to have a tweeter, mid and midbass/bass in the front doors or in a location that isn't visible to wandering eyes. Years back when I was still in the military, I had a customer fiberglassed set of tweeter pods made for the dashboard of my GMC Sonoma and I loved the sound, but I don't know how hard that would be to do in the 7 since the factory mid is only like 2". Sorry for not being clear about that.

I'm absolutely fine w/ the sound of my sub, I'm just looking to have my builder remake me a box that ports into the cab instead of the trunk, so I guess I wanted to know what you thought of having 1 or 2 ports coming throrugh the factory 4 speaker enclosure on the rear shelf and then use the other opening in the 4 speaker enclosure and fill them w/ some sort of co-ax or something for rear fill.
    Last edited by m5james; 04-05-2010 at 02:05 AM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    94 525i, 01 740iL
    man, I feel bad now. I guess I have to now permanently install stuff where it belongs...
    Meet Se7en -

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 1951 VW
    Quote Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic View Post

Awesome installs. You know what you're doing in car audio. What you say about sealed boxes is interesting. In a large room or studio or big venue, ported boxes is the only way to go. They are more efficient, and can go much lower properly tuned. I used to build boxes for studios, and sealed boxes never were good below about 50Hz. However, in a car situation, sealed might be better because of box size, and dynamic coupling. A sealed box acts as a natural compressor, and can give a woofer a 'tighter' sound.

My Cars
    00 740il (Its Long)
    Is it finish yet, if so where are the final pictures.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    01 740i Sport
    Bigaudiofanatic- once again, Great work. I imagine this will provide very balanced sound and a truly pleasureable listening experience.

Sealed vs Ported is always a touchy subject. It all really depends on power and use. The thing to consider is that the trunk will effectively act a second enclosure. I personally made my box with one sealed enclosure and one ported enclosure. This gives me the tight bass and I like with the balance of the low frequency of much of the music I listen to. I will be removing the ski bag port to improve the sound passthru, as the E38 has great sound deadening from the factory. If I had really thought about it it would have had the port fire into the cabin, I just didnt want to risk any port whistle and resonance in the cab. So the ski boot port removal will have to do for now. I am running two 10" dual voice-coil with a Reference 200 amp at 2 ohms stable.

Next I will replace the door speakers as they are horrible and lack clarity and range. Ill make sure and post the process once I move forward. Likely will do this towards the end of the summer, as I'm focusing on my 10 sec. truck right now.

As with anything, personal preferrence will always win outright. There is no one right answer for all.
    Last edited by Absolutjh22; 04-05-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    JOSHUA J. HAYES
    S E A T T L E, W A.
    2001 BMW E38 740iA Sport
    1974 Mazda Rotary Engine PU

My Cars
    G37, FX35, Aztek, Miata
    Yes, in my opinion sealed for a car wins but that is my opinion and everyone has them. In home application that is different your trying to compress air in a very open space so naturally ported will be more widely used.

The owner and I decide to move the woofers into the doors in 2 weeks. This gives me some time to recover and prepare for them. At that time he will drop off the woofers and the door panels.

We are also waiting on plexi glass for the trunk but other than that pretty much all is finish.

Absolutjh22 your right very clear and amazing sound. quality is top notch for the audio. Sad part is when you get this into an audio setup you can tell what your listening too. My ipod has all apple lossless uncompressed music and sounds amazing. Going back to radio is like going back to mono sound just does not sound as good. But I have to say one of the most elaborate and nice installs I have done.

My Cars
    01 740i Sport,
    WOW how much is this going to be when its all done, labor, psrts and all?

Strait

My Cars
    G37, FX35, Aztek, Miata
    He bought most of the stuff off ebay so the parts totaled a bit over 4 grand. But would of cost much more retail.

My labor 2,300 dollars

He was very happy with the car, very impressed with the audio aspect of it as well "as was I". In two weeks he will drop off the kick panels and the door panels for the speakers to get molded into the doors for more foot room.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast