Thread: Data transmission fault service notification

My Cars
    Future M5 Owner

Data transmission fault service notification

Hi everyone I have a 06 550i and have been getting this notification the car has 60k miles and is cpo. First question is what does this mean and second is it covered under my cpo warr? Also the car does seem to idle a little chopy is this normal?

Thanks
    Mike C

My Cars
    04 545i bmw,
    i have a 2004 545i and i had a similar problem. mine said transmission malfunction drive moderately or something along those lines and i had to replace the transmission. i had no factory warranty and i got kind of lucky because it came out to $2000 with labor included. the bmw dealer wanted close to $4000 just for the transmission without labor. make sure you get more than 2 opinions from different mechanics because i found out that it could have also been that a sensor indside the transmission could have been bad and that it would have been cheaper to fix. good luck and let me know what you did to get it fixed.
    Last edited by poedtf; 03-28-2010 at 02:08 PM.

My Cars
    2004 525i
    I have been getting this notification occasionally on my '04 525i (118k miles). It seems when I come to a stop, the transmission doesn't completely 'disengage' right away. If I push on the gas too soon, it attempts to unclutch and downshift at the same time, popping this notification and putting me in the "limp home" mode. It has been resetting if I stop the car and turn the motor off, then restart it. (I know that auto-tranny's dont actually clutch, but Im not sure of how else to say it.) This is the 2nd 5 series I've owned with tranny problems and I am beginning to thing this is BMW's Achille's Heel. Very frustrating.

My Cars
    04 bmw 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jughead131 View Post
    I have been getting this notification occasionally on my '04 525i (118k miles). It seems when I come to a stop, the transmission doesn't completely 'disengage' right away. If I push on the gas too soon, it attempts to unclutch and downshift at the same time, popping this notification and putting me in the "limp home" mode. It has been resetting if I stop the car and turn the motor off, then restart it. (I know that auto-tranny's dont actually clutch, but Im not sure of how else to say it.) This is the 2nd 5 series I've owned with tranny problems and I am beginning to thing this is BMW's Achille's Heel. Very frustrating.
    Did you solve the problem. I'm having the same issues.