Thread: Replace or Rebuild?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8

Replace or Rebuild?

Hi all,<br><br>The "Green Money Pit" has made it clear the rear diff is shot. I either need to replace or rebuild it. Its looking like the Exxon Valdes dumped a load on the diff cover... <br>So, any suggestions as to options and also what has been your experiences? I have read that depending on the year some of the rears from the E32 and some from a 530i might work (?)<br><br>Best,<br>Bob

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Rear Diff

E32 is your best and easiest and cheapest choice to victimize

New or used and how much $$$ do you want to spend

Any large case 210 MM will work, choose wisely with the ratio and whether it is limited slip or not, You will have to swap covers for sure with an E32, maybe other parts

3.64 is the go to ratio for the Automatic V12

Want to go quicker the 3.94 is the one to have

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Replace! Go 3:91 LSD That’s what I did.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    3.91 LSD and Wokke chips. Your grin will get 100% bigger..
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Thanks Guys!
    Hope you are all taking care and staying sane and healthy!!

I'm leaning E32 myself if need be. Rough year and not looking to sink my battleship just yet.
    LSD wise... when I "popped" it in 1st or 2nd gear both sides (tires)always broke loose together. (So I have my suspicions...)

Planning to "split the can open" maybe this weekend. I'm going to see if I can find any tooth counts on the ring and pinion as it definitely isn't stock.
    As far as 3.91 or 3.64 for the auto version, I'm wondering what opinions are out there about a V12 6 Speed? Very curious as to what I find inside the can.
    I couldn't find a number on the case itself that I could track down and from the looks of the way the rear cover was mounted..."someone" has been in there before.
    Fingers crossed its just the bearing needs replacing!

Chip wise, I have a pair of Dinan ECUs in there for now. No time to solder in new transistors into originals. So, when the originals finally pooped, I put them on the self along with their EML.
    I need a Dinan EML chip to complete the set. Then I can reinstall the original EML. The E32 EML I am running now came from an automatic so using cruise control can be interesting at times!!!
    The Dinan ECUs are doing something though 'cause I can smell the engine is running a tad richer with them in there.
    The original ECUs were chipped too but I have no idea who made them or where they came from.

"Everytime something stops working... I learn something new..."

My Cars
    2011 BMW 135i coupe

rebuild parts

Quote Originally Posted by Chillax View Post
    Thanks Guys!
    Hope you are all taking care and staying sane and healthy!!

I'm leaning E32 myself if need be. Rough year and not looking to sink my battleship just yet.
    LSD wise... when I "popped" it in 1st or 2nd gear both sides (tires)always broke loose together. (So I have my suspicions...)

Planning to "split the can open" maybe this weekend. I'm going to see if I can find any tooth counts on the ring and pinion as it definitely isn't stock.
    As far as 3.91 or 3.64 for the auto version, I'm wondering what opinions are out there about a V12 6 Speed? Very curious as to what I find inside the can.
    I couldn't find a number on the case itself that I could track down and from the looks of the way the rear cover was mounted..."someone" has been in there before.
    Fingers crossed its just the bearing needs replacing!

Chip wise, I have a pair of Dinan ECUs in there for now. No time to solder in new transistors into originals. So, when the originals finally pooped, I put them on the self along with their EML.
    I need a Dinan EML chip to complete the set. Then I can reinstall the original EML. The E32 EML I am running now came from an automatic so using cruise control can be interesting at times!!!
    The Dinan ECUs are doing something though 'cause I can smell the engine is running a tad richer with them in there.
    The original ECUs were chipped too but I have no idea who made them or where they came from.

"Everytime something stops working... I learn something new..."
    I got bearings and seals from Racing Diffs inc, it is overseas but the shipping pretty fast and reasonable. I had a local shop do the work.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Thanks Sounds like a plan...

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    I purchased Bearings and seals from RockAuto when I rebuilt my LSD. I ordered clutch discs from Racing Diffs. Crush sleeve OEM BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk