Thread: Is this normal? (my front suspension install)

My Cars
    BMW

Question Is this normal? (my front suspension install)

This is a E36 M3/4. I just realized that the front shocks/struts are not centered in the hole. M3 guys, could you please take a look at your car and let me know if this is normal?

Thanks !! You guys have been helpful !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    BMW
    Normal

My Cars
    98 M3, 96 Camaro SS, 00 Eclipse GT
    Normal.
    BMW changed the design for M3's so that the Camber could be adjusted.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    All M3 stock struts are back of center, and 96+ are back of center and outboard.

And you can't adjust stock camber without some sort of aftermarket part.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    Originally posted by Croak

And you can't adjust stock camber without some sort of aftermarket part.
    Have you ever Changed the Front Struts? I have and you can Change by turnning the top spindle. But the change is drastic so the only reason you would do it is if you lower your car.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Is it normal

that top plastic cap that covers the center nut is touching the sheetmetal, other side has about 1/16" gap in between.

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Originally posted by TonyKhar
    Have you ever Changed the Front Struts? I have and you can Change by turnning the top spindle. But the change is drastic so the only reason you would do it is if you lower your car.
    What?:

The front camber is not adjustable on any E36 M3 without camber plates or shiming the strut at the hub. Only thing adjustable at the front is the toe. Rear camber can be adjusted as well as the toe.

My Cars
    Well I guess mine is the only one? I was changing the struts and by accident roteded the top plate and instead of the arrow pointing to the front it was pointing to the side. and the Camber was visibly off. I didn't remeber the direction of the arrow when I started the Install so I didn't know , or didnt think that it mattered.

Now with that said maybe the camber isnt ment to be adjusted in this fasion but if the camber is changed by just turnning the plate then I would of thought that the only reason BMW would do this is to make the Camber adjustable .

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    No, the strut hats are made to give a certain amount of camber and caster. You can swap the hats from side to side to give more camber. The tops of them are not round, and were designed to be postioned a certain way - hence the arrow and not being round. BMW did not design them to be spun. Now the non-m strut hats are round, and I've heard that spinning them will give slight camber changes due to years of taking beatings.

My Cars
    Thanks. for the info. I posted a question a while back on another forum regarding a need of Alignment when changing the struts. Someone said yes. But if the Camber isnt adjustable then why and how do they adjust it?

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    toe in the front is adjustable, and when you put the new struts on the car, the camber with change and so will the toe.

My Cars
    I know how they do the toe, but how do they adjust the Camber?

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Originally posted by vjlax18
    The front camber is not adjustable on any E36 M3 without camber plates or shiming the strut at the hub. Only thing adjustable at the front is the toe. Rear camber can be adjusted as well as the toe.
    They do not adjust the front camber...

My Cars
    Ok I'm confused. if the Camber would change with a new strut. and they dont adjust it? And how would the toe chage anyways with strut replacement?

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Toe changes with camber - more neg camber more toe out. And the camber spec is actaully a range, not a specific number. And camber can vary from side to side by as much as .5* on the front and still be within spec

My Cars
    Sorry for being so ignorant about it. I guess I just dont get it.

This is what I understand about it:
    tie rods are connected to the wheel hub so if the wheel hub goes up and down the toe shouldnt change. when changing struts if for some reason one strut is longer then the other the only thing that chages is the height. I cant see why changing height would change the toe. That would mean that everytime the spring is commpressed the toe goes out?

Oh and BTW Sorry to the Origional poster for Jacking this thread. I Guess i kept it sort of on topic.

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    The tie rods are connected at the front of the hub and above the center. So when the strut leans in (neg cam) the front of the hub is pushed out... make sense?

And cars have noticed a difference in ride height when changing struts - mainly with the bilsteins though.

My Cars
    Ahh.. ok I guess I wasn't looking for the toe to be out of spec. I just thought that Camber would be slightly out.
    When looking I don't see or feel any changes in camber or in toe. I guess I can live with it being off slightly. I guess i will Notice if my tires start wearing unevenly. I'll wait untill they do to get an Alignment. I have to change the tires anyways.

thanks for all the Info.